ClubAdventist is back!

Having an issue with the size of my fonts!

Scuba

• Administrators

This is Verd​ana 14 point font. It is not oversized.

This is also Verdana 14 point resized by one factor.

The coding of the first line does not say 14. It says it is "size 4"

The second line is "size 5".

And this one is size 6.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Administrators

If you want to see the code that I am speaking of reply to the above post using the "quote" button. While you are in the drafting window look a the button at the far top left of the top tool bar. It is a toggle switch, like a light switch. Click on it and the normal tool bar option fade out, but the text now reveals the coding that appear in brackets. Verdana font size 14 has a size code of 4. If you change that to a 5 or a 6 it will increase the size to the next available font size from the tool bar, which is 18 and 24.  If all that you  are doing is selecting the normal font size of 14 from the tool bar font size section it will code it as  "size=4". If you elect 18 it will be "size=5" and so on.  Size 3 or 4 is the default font size, depending on which font style you select.

The problem is that several people have decided to resize all or a substantial portion of their posts to size 5 or 6 and occasionally larger.  And that combined with other options such as bold, color, underlining, etc. becomes serious overkill.  It is about visual tone that translates into the tone in which the reader perceives, even hears in their own head, what they are reading.  It ramps up the tone and the temperature of the rhetoric likewise increases.  Passions become inflamed as a result and people get defensive and more aggressive.   And those who would prefer to avoid engaging in heated debate and argument will very likely skip posts and whole threads that give off that visual impression. 

So one way to dial back the tone of discussion is to take a more moderate approach to the visual way in which we convey our ideas.    It all comes back to it is not what you say, but how you say it that causes problems. 

So use these option selectively and sparingly to enhance what you say and not to overshadow it.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Administrators

This is Verd​ana 14 point font. It is not oversized.

This is also Verdana 14 point resized by one factor.

The coding of the first line does not say 14. It says it is "size 4"

The second line is "size 5".

AND THIS ONE is size 6!!!

Now consider the same thing visually if I pile on several other things.  See what I mean?

This is a hot-potato topic thread that interests me personally.

I am one of those who loves putting messages up and adding colour highlights to certain words.

Mostly to highlight words group categories for the sake of importance. And for the sake of prettiness.

It seems that the highlighting in red is an annoyance to one but maybe a few others think so as well. I’m prepared to avoid using red for the sake of peace.

But I will use the colour teal when I want to and the colour brick fire I also like to use. As well as saddle brown and occasionally purple all from the tool task bar list of colours.

I started over in Technical Support a thread called “The How To Instructions”

What you all are talking about here I wish to grasp in understanding and make a blurb in that thread on instructions for the sake of others who come later in forum usage and have the same problem.

Scubby wrote: When I quote a verse I cut and paste the verse to my post and I guess when I do it the font is bigger than the rest of my post.

Question: Did you copy/paste into reply box bible verses from a Word Document, or direct from Bible-gateway, or from online Blue-letter bible, or from another web-site?

We rely on forum software to crop to size what we post in the reply box.

Question: Why isn’t this feature not activated?

The reply box offers font size 8, 10, 12, 14 for proper reading (except 8).

All other are monster fonts and should be avoid, imo.

It will be a sad day in paradise when the bold, italic, underline, font-size and font-names are disabled making us use the default setting only.

Stan said:

There’s bigger issues in life than letting this overcome sharing thoughts.

Thanks go to Pam for what she wrote:

After a response is written, but before it is posted, you can select the entire response and click on the "size" tab to make all of the post the same size...  the fonts may be different if you're doing a copy and paste, but the size will be the same.  And if it's wanted, the font can all be made the same, as well..

Also she helped Sammie by saying this:

…make a screenshot of the image and save to your desktop..then upload the image to your post. (Sammie had problem with seeing a pic from a PDF file in a peek at the preview posting before sending message).

As to a small but significant technicality. It is known and relied upon that using all caps on words makes the tone of the word louder. Many words or a whole sentence all in caps really are in your face shouting like an Army sergeant.

I tend to be concentrating more on my group of topics I post in and have not seen another use colour in their posts because I don’t (sorry to say this) have the strength to invest the time for reading much in various sectors on ClubA.

Scubby wrote: I have to highlight the whole post and changed the font to 14 and the style to Verdana.

Question: Please tell me where you are doing the changing. Do you use a bible website for copying verses and then paste them directly to your Word Document?  and there change the size and
font? And then move the changed sentences over into the reply box of this Forum?

Lyndon wrote:

However, if you ever see a blank post, there may be a secret message buried in there!

Highlighting may reveal it.

LOL!! Great help for puzzling moments of viewing blank pages.

It was a very uncanny experience for me to work on a project for a week with a guy who was colour-blind. As he told of various problems he encounters in life because of this disability, I just drew in my breath and opened my eyes wide. It’s a real rough go for him in many ways.

Scubby wrote: Can I post here without worry or fear of walking on egg shells? 

Ahhh, don’t we all wish!

Anyway, perfect love casts out fear. In truth, but not in human reality in many ways.

12 – 14 years ago the freedom of speech was pushed to the limits by many who felt at home here posting at ClubA. However, that very freedom went astray and many were the postings that hurt and harmed instead of helping and healing. Experience over the years have help the now crew of moderators to keep a strong watch on how the atmosphere and tendencies are flowing here. This place is cleaned up from the graffiti of maliciousness and wicked attitudes that once ruled this roost. I personally like the order that now rules.

This is a hot-potato topic thread that interests me personally.

I am one of those who loves putting messages up and adding colour highlights to certain words.

Mostly to highlight words group categories for the sake of importance. And for the sake of prettiness.

It seems that the highlighting in red is an annoyance to one but maybe a few others think so as well. I’m prepared to avoid using red for the sake of peace.

But I will use the colour teal when I want to and the colour brick fire I also like to use. As well as saddle brown and occasionally purple all from the tool task bar list of colours.

I started over in Technical Support a thread called “The How To Instructions”

What you all are talking about here I wish to grasp in understanding and make a blurb in that thread on instructions for the sake of others who come later in forum usage and have the same problem.

Scubby wrote: When I quote a verse I cut and paste the verse to my post and I guess when I do it the font is bigger than the rest of my post.

Question: Did you copy/paste into reply box bible verses from a Word Document, or direct from Bible-gateway, or from online Blue-letter bible, or from another web-site?

The reply box offers font size 8, 10, 12, 14 for proper reading (except 8).

All other are monster fonts and should be avoid, imo.

It will be a sad day in paradise when the bold, italic, underline, font-size and font-names are disabled making us use the default setting only.

Stan said:

There’s bigger issues in life than letting this overcome sharing thoughts.

Thanks go to Pam for what she wrote:

After a response is written, but before it is posted, you can select the entire response and click on the "size" tab to make all of the post the same size...  the fonts may be different if you're doing a copy and paste, but the size will be the same.  And if it's wanted, the font can all be made the same, as well..

Also she helped Sammie by saying this:

…make a screenshot of the image and save to your desktop..then upload the image to your post. (Sammie had problem with seeing a pic from a PDF file in a peek at the preview posting before sending message).

As to a small but significant technicality. It is known and relied upon that using all caps on words makes the tone of the word louder. Many words or a whole sentence all in caps really are in your face shouting like an Army sergeant.

I tend to be concentrating more on my group of topics I post in and have not seen another use colour in their posts because I don’t (sorry to say this) have the strength to invest the time for reading much in various sectors on ClubA.

Scubby wrote: I have to highlight the whole post and changed the font to 14 and the style to Verdana.

Question: Please tell me where you are doing the changing. Do you use a bible website for copying verses and then paste them directly to your Word Document?  and there change the size and

font? And then move the changed sentences over into the reply box of this Forum?

Lyndon wrote:

However, if you ever see a blank post, there may be a secret message buried in there!

Highlighting may reveal it.

LOL!! Great help for puzzling moments of viewing blank pages.

It was a very uncanny experience for me to work on a project for a week with a guy who was colour-blind. As he told of various problems he encounters in life because of this disability, I just drew in my breath and opened my eyes wide. It’s a real rough go for him in many ways.

Scubby wrote: Can I post here without worry or fear of walking on egg shells? 

Ahhh, don’t we all wish!

Anyway, perfect love casts out fear. In truth, but not in human reality in many ways.

12 – 14 years ago the freedom of speech was pushed to the limits by many who felt at home here posting at ClubA. However, that very freedom went astray and many were the postings that hurt and harmed instead of helping and healing. Experience over the years have help the now crew of moderators to keep a strong watch on how the atmosphere and tendencies are flowing here. This place is cleaned up from the graffiti of maliciousness and wicked attitudes that once ruled this roost. I personally like the order that now rules.

The issue I had was the fact that I was getting warned and threatened with suspension if I continued using the fonts that I was using. Here is the final warning I got.

I have already asked once to stop posting with oversized font for whole posts or large portions of them. Yet you continue to do so. That, especially combine with other ways of creating written emphasis, such as color, all caps, boldface, etc., give the written/visual effect of shouting. Such practices are usually seen as poor netiquette. I will not ask you again. 

The only font that I was using is font 14 and I'm still using it. I also use red lettering when I cut and paste a Bible verse because. Bible verses should be different than my words.

Font 14 is not over sized nor is it evil to use red letters when quoting a Bible verse. If I'm going to be threatened with suspension for normal typing then my feelings are that I really don't need to be here. That's what this thread was all about. (This reply is font 14 and Verdana style). I think it's silly for me to have to write what font and letter style I'm using to avoid getting suspended.

The Administrator did reduce my fines but I feel I shouldn't have any fines because I did nothing wrong. That's the problem I'm having here with the forum police. 

Sometimes our behavior needs time to catch up to our salvation... ::puppykisses::

• Administrators

You continue to miss the point and misrepresent what you were doing and what you were told was the problem.

I would suggest that you get over it and move on. You are sounding whiny.

You continue to miss the point and misrepresent what you were doing and what you were told was the problem.

I would suggest that you get over it and move on. You are sounding whiny.

It's not being whiny, it's being accused of something I'm not doing and getting penalized for it. When I first started posting here I was using 14 font. I got warned and was still using 14 font and even now I'm still using 14 font and yet it doesn't seem to be a problem. Either the forum is not working right once I hit send or you're being nit picky. (This post is 14 font and Verdana style type).

Sometimes our behavior needs time to catch up to our salvation... ::puppykisses::

Please check if your laptop or PC is located very close to the WiFi connection modem.

It maybe the culprit sending signals of power that changes the format of fonts.

I too have had many times experienced flashes of font change while typing in reply box. Other times I thought all was fine in size of font and spacing of sentences or paragraphs. Then I posted the message.

It was awful in format. Way too large gaps between spaces, often times double space in the sentences while I typed it in single space. Then the indent on the right side was narrowed so I needed to get the sentences spaced full page by deleting the unwanted spaces between the last word and first word in the following sentence. A tiresome manual job. There may be others who have had the same annoyance, perhaps out-there?

These are the yet unanswered questions I posted above. I'll repeat them here:

I'm asking because I wish to have info to then see the cause and eventually do a write up on the situation in How To Instructions. With the thought in mind to offer help to another who has the same problem who is new to the Forum.