ClubAdventist is back!

Life in Motion

Tom Wetmore

• Administrators

Have you noticed that many people seem to live their life according to Newton's Third Law of Motion - For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction?

I think it is seriously time to change that dynamic...

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Take a look at the many posts about what is wrong with the church, government, et, etc. A person posts the article and then waits to see what others will say about it. They have not checked the accuracy of validity of what they are posting, just simply want a reaction so that 'conservative' vs 'liberal' comments will be made.

Are we going to spend our short life reactiing to every thing we see and read or take a positive approach to life by projecting(proactive) the best that we can give to others. Do we 'push' others to think, act or think as we do(reactive push back) or demonstrate what can be?

• Like 1

• Administrators

Maybe we should consider developing an approach to life akin to Newton's first or second law of motion.  Hint - Life as it was intend might  have more of a trajectory like what one might experience as an example of the first law of motion. 

Climb out of the box and set your thinking in motion...

• Like 1

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• 5 weeks later...

We are obviously hesitent to step into unknown territory, following the crowd like lemmings is a lot less threatening.  If we think something that is novel we will tell ourselves that people will say it is crazy, or isolate us.

• 2 months later...

I have struggled with trying to fix too much of what is not mine to fix.  :saywa:   I am learning to stop myself to decide if what I come across is *my* issue or someone else's who needs to attend to their own fixing.   :surrender:   I find keeping my mouth shut, when I previously would have voiced my opinion, does wonders, too.  teehee   It cuts down on the "opposite reaction" part.  :D

Edited by Tom Wetmore
Quote removed

• Administrators

Old Timer's Wisdom often helps me put things into perspective:

• Always have a backup plan in place
  • If the right hand doesn't work ... use the left
  • You can't please all the people all the time
  • When in Rome, do as the Romans do  (to some degree  :)  )
  • Nothing last forever
  • Everything changes and nothing does
  • Don't put all of your eggs in one basket

The above are not as appropriate as what I thought of in the middle of the night.  But, the truth of the matter, at least for me, is to realize that no matter how much I may believe in an issue or person, things can change in the blink of an eye.  You can't allow defeat, change or failure become an emotional issue. If you do you will fail to see the crack in the wall. 

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

Like your words of wisdom Naomi My favorite about our life trajectory is

If you do what you always did, you're going to get what you always got.

Another observation is I almost never regret not telling someone else off (unless they are putting themselves or someone else at serious immediate risk in which case I go for it)

Behold what manner of love the Father hath given unto us.

• Administrators

In reference to Stan's post: 

Stan, Are you suggesting that people who use Windows are Catholics?  Or, perhaps that those who use windows become Catholics.  Oh dear, here come the Jesuits!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Gotta love a physics analogy!

It's very old, so it describes very old versions of the two platforms, but Stan's comment made me think of a very short article by Umberto Eco, from 1994 (21 years ago), that compares the Mac and DOS (the Microsoft system before Windows). He claims Mac is Catholic and DOS is Protestant, which is the opposite of what Stan suggested. This is the no-quote, no-link zone so you'll have to google it yourself.

In relation to the OP, I think of it in relation to parenting: it seems to me that some just reproduce what their parents did. Maybe that's Newton's First Law: an object stays stationary or continues in a straight line unless acted on by an external force.

Others parent in reaction to the way they were parented: if their parents were strict they're very laissez-faire, or vice versa. That's the Third Law approach the OP talks about.

Surely the best approach (and unfortunately for the beauty of the analogy, it doesn't really correspond to the Second Law!), is to consider how we were parented, continue the good bits and change the bad bits. Not simple, mindless reaction, but thoughtfulness.

Applying the ideas to other contexts I leave as an exercise for the reader. ;)

Edited by Bravus
  • Like 3

Truth is important

• Moderators

Actually, the Second Law says that how much something accelerates is greater the greater force acting, and less the greater the mass. So changing our perspectives - on parenting or anything else - depends on how much inertia we have, and how much force is applied...

Truth is important

• Moderators

Wow!   These physics analogies are impressive!   [and make things easier to remember....]

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

• Administrators

Jeannie I totally agree .. who knew that physics could be so user-friendly ... .love anything that makes it easy

• Moderators

Bravus:  I still have a fondness for IBMs PC DOS.  I have  the installation disks.  I have the manuals.  I have the instructions for writing commands in PC DOS.  I amjust not willing to give them away.

Gregory

• Moderators

Yeah, it always feels like going 'deep geek' to drop back to the command line... ;-)

• Like 1

Truth is important

• 1 month later...

to repeat what I had said, and it was about following the crowd...  

If I followed the crowd I would be Catholic

If I followed the crowd I would be using Windows.. (although that is getting to be a smaller crowd.

They were not connected with each other.

Was pointing out biggest is not always the right thing..

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

• Administrators

What would happen if there was NO reaction at all to the action?

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

The action is an illusion...

• 4 weeks later...