ClubAdventist is back!

hospital for sinners?

rudywoofs (Pam)

• Members

I'm sure most of us have heard the saying that, "A church is a hospital for sinners -- not a rest home for saints."

Following along that idea, has anyone ever wondered why no one ever gets "well"??  

It seems to me that a church is more like a palliative care center, rather than a "hospital."  So, rather than "curing," the focus should be on alleviation of the *effects* of sin... not only offering the "Blessed Hope" in the form of sermons and evangelistic efforts, but on actively helping and providing for others in big or small ways... just being friends, visiting -- just making people feel like they *matter*.... 

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

I'm sure most of us have heard the saying that, "A church is a hospital for sinners -- not a rest home for saints."

Following along that idea, has anyone ever wondered why no one ever gets "well"??  

It seems to me that a church is more like a palliative care center, rather than a "hospital."  So, rather than "curing," the focus should be on alleviation of the *effects* of sin... not only offering the "Blessed Hope" in the form of sermons and evangelistic efforts, but on actively helping and providing for others in big or small ways... just being friends, visiting -- just making people feel like they *matter*.... 

And sometimes it helps to remember what Jesus pointed out as one of the body of believer's primary purposes.

15And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. 16"He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.…Mark 16

It would seem obvious that this principle below is invaluable in achieving the goals you've suggested.

34"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35"By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."...John 13

God is Love!  Jesus saves!  :smiley:

Lift Jesus up!!

• Moderators

Up until yesterday I have been at the forefront of talking about the Church being a hospital for sinners.  Yesterday, my wife caused me to have an epiphany. 

The Church should not be a hospital for sinners.  In the world of today, people spend 3-days in the hospital treating a single problem.  Then they return to their prior existence, minus that problem.  But, they may nto be  healthy. 

The Church should be an Assisted Living Facility.  People come there because they need assistance on an on-going basis.  Rather than addressing one problem, they are helped in all areas of their life in which they may need help.    They likely remain there for an extended period of time.  There is typically no expectation that they will reach the place where they no longer need help.

Gregory

I find it interesting, the way that Mrs. White uses the "hospital for sinners" idea. It seems to me that the "hospital" designation is not a good one.

"The church is now as a vast hospital, filled with the spiritually sick, who need to be placed under the influence of the refining furnace, until all dross is consumed." (Diary, August 14, 1901.) (4Manuscript Release p.447)

And to my mind, Mark 2:16-17 doesn't really seem to justify the use of the "hospital for sinners" term.

Jesus' disciples were taken from among "publicans and sinners", etc., but His people were not to remain publicans or sinners.

"And when the scribes and Pharisees saw him eat with publicans and sinners, they said to his disciples, How is it that he eats and drinks with publicans and sinners?

When Jesus heard this, He said to them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."