ClubAdventist is back!

FINALLY: This State Passes Junk Food Limits and Drug Testing for Food Stamp Recipients

bonnie

FINALLY: This State Passes Junk Food Limits and Drug Testing for Food Stamp Recipients

By

AM

on

May 16, 2015

Public aid recipients in Wisconsin would be limited in how much junk food they could buy and forced to take mandatory drug screenings under two bills passed by the state
Assembly on Wednesday.Republican supporters say that they want to ensure that beneficiaries of public programs are eating health food and staying drug-fee–two things that supporters say will make them more employable.

Under the junk food bill, food stamp recipients would be required to use at least two-thirds of their monthly benefits to buy nutritional foods such as beef, chicken, pork, potatoes, dairy products, fresh produce, and food available under the Women, Infants, and Children nutrition program. It would also prohibit users from using the money to buy crab, lobster, shrimp, and other shellfish.

Because the federal government funds food stamp benefits, the limitations posed under the bill would require a federal waiver that no other state has ever proposed.

Democrats have argued that the measure is a gross overreach and grocery stores have also been wary of the proposal as they would have to install software to track spending by food stamp users–something that could cost up to $55 million.

The bill passed a 60-33 vote, with all Democrats voting against it and all Republicans–save for two–in favor of the measure.

Do you agree with this bill? Should this be promoted in all 50 states?

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

I've never been to Wisconsin.  I doubt I will ever visit there.  I could retire tomorrow if I wanted to.  I've never received welfare or food stamps.  I doubt if anyone that does receive such would ever visit this forum.  And your point is?

I am sure there are those on this forum that have needed assistance. A safety net is a great thing when life smacks you upside the head or for  those that have made foolish choices and need a hand up. It is also a very easy thing to abuse. 

I have stood behind many in the check out line that are on SNAP,fairly easy to tell when they separate cleaning and personal hygiene products from the rest of their groceries.

When you rely on others to feed your family and care for their medical needs it is a personal responsibility to do so as wisely as you can.Not long ago I stood behind a very obese woman with three very obese young children. And yes I know there are many that are not on snap and paying their own way that are just as obese. There were very few healthy staples in the cart,there was a lot of soda,potato chips and processed bakery products,instant mashed potato's etc. Not one bag of fruit or fruit juice in the cart. A lot of us that are paying for their groceries cannot afford to feed our families in that fashion even if we chose to.

Exchange the junk portion for cleaning supplies and items for personal hygiene

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

• Members

I doubt if anyone that does receive such would ever visit this forum.  And your point is?

​Wow, really?? I get food stamps. We got custody of our grandkids and we definitely need the extra money and foodstamps. I'm retired and we only get so much!! So what's your point??

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Members

Bonnie, not sure I would agree with all what they want. Not only that, as far as I know the food stamp program only allows certain foods that you can buy. So not sure about what each state has to say about what you can or can not purchase. I know that Florida and Massachusetts are the same. Up there they gave us checks to purchase food, but only what they had written on the checks. Here in Florida we get wic cards and you can only purchase what they allow. There was no junk food to buy.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Those on the snap program  using EBT cards,like a debit card can purchase anything except pet food,cleaning and personal hygiene products.There are many grandparents that have stepped up and taken their grandchildren. How much better for them than foster homes. My brother at 74 is raising two of his great grandchildren.He and his wife did adopt them so they do receive some from my brothers SS. However that doesn't take care of raising those two especially when they have to foot the insurance which has now gone sky high. He is still driving over the road until these two are grown

Most senior citizens would find it very tough going trying to raise another family on SS without help.

Food stamps are intended to provide needed nutrition for families. There isn't anything that is needed for nutrition in much of what is purchased. Assistance is not a dirty word until it is abused and it is often.

• Like 2

The media tends to incite hate towards that are needing some help.  Have seen that too many times. I know when I was inloved with a food bank years ago, all the staff were complaining about people abusing the system. When we did research we found that 95% of them were one or two times..  About 5% came often.

To often a picture of a NY family, that is multigenerational welfare situation gets presented or comes to mind..  not so true..

When the drugs test was done in one state a few years ago, (Florida???)  It has cost them more to do the drug test then the folks they turned away.

If we are going to err, we need to err on the side of compassion..

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

When I was an ABC manger I told the staff to discount food and books my 10% to those who were on assistance,  I wanted to let them know that their Church was behind them in their struggles..  sure some took advantage, other wept..

• Like 2

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

Our food shelf has most that are  regulars. When you cannot feed your child and you can tell a friend with you that you just got a cool new tattoo to the tune of 75.00 as you are regularly loading groceries from the food shelf it is abusing the system. When you are on full assistance have two or more children with different fathers and move another man,unemployed  into the home the taxpayer is providing you are abusing the system.

In our small town we have two subsidized housing complexes and three in the next town.Both have had to make rules applying to the rampant abuse of the system. You cannot have the same man spend more than one night. Problem was easily solved by many of them. Just swap men.

Mandatory unannounced inspection of the premises the families were destroying as fast as they could be repaired was fought against because it was discrimination. They were shocked  that they could actually be evicted for excessive damage.Tough,thankfully they lost. Really shouldn't affect those not abusing the system and those trying to care responsibly for their children.

THere are those that are responsible  that are on assistance and need the help. Sensible laws should not hurt the responsible,but hopefully will crimp the irresponsible

We used to get food stamps. According to this list of "approved" foods, we would be non-compliant, because our family is allergic to most processed foods, all dairy and most grains. So what would happen when Big Brother decides that since you don't have milk in your cart that you are eating unhealthy?

When you need help, you need help, and Lord knows they don't make it easy for you to get the help. There are tons of hoops to jump through, miles of forms to fill out. And now you have to justify your food choices? smh

• Like 2

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

This  doesn't say you have to have milk in your groceries. It does cover junk food tho. 

I helped an acquaintance apply for food stamps. Filled out the forms online,scanned her financial information and included that. All there was to it. She was notified she was approved and I took her in for the final approval. In addition we were given a list of places she could receive food immediately if this was a necessity. We were also sent forms to fill out and send to the gas and electric company. Her gas bill was reduced to 9.00 a month and her electric bill was 35.00,less than half of what it had been.Also included were a list of several churches that supplied milk and produce on certain days of the month,no questions asked. 

Filling out a few forms and e-mail them to the appropriate office and one final visit and that was it.

Edited by bonnie

It's a slippery slope and it does say dairy, I was just being specific when I mentioned milk. I've got one that is allergic to all dairy, so? I'm glad it was so easy for you and your friend to sign up. They constantly lost my forms. Misread them, increased then decreased the amount all in the same month. Maybe some states has their act together more than others? All I know was my experience and it was a nightmare. And it would have been worse had these new regulations been in place. I feel bad for those that still have to deal with them.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

When I was an ABC manger I told the staff to discount food and books my 10% to those who were on assistance,  I wanted to let them know that their Church was behind them in their struggles..  sure some took advantage, other wept..

::like::

If one has a habit of extending personal help to others from their own resources, Jesus , through His Holy Spirit guides one to those who have honest needs, and that to others whether or not they are squeeky clean.

God is Love!  Jesus saves!  :D

Lift Jesus up!!

It's a slippery slope and it does say dairy, I was just being specific when I mentioned milk. I've got one that is allergic to all dairy, so? I'm glad it was so easy for you and your friend to sign up. They constantly lost my forms. Misread them, increased then decreased the amount all in the same month. Maybe some states has their act together more than others? All I know was my experience and it was a nightmare. And it would have been worse had these new regulations been in place. I feel bad for those that still have to deal with them.

​The list that is given is not a mandatory list that someone on Snap must purchase. It is not a "you must buy XYZ", It is to prevent the 12 packs of coke and the rest of junk food. If that is a absolute necessity then let them purchase it with their own money

I had several young unmarried mothers as co-workers. All but two were quite open about abusing the system. Of course they didn't call it abuse,"it was free so why not". They all participated in WIC and other programs and they didn't have to. All of the young women lived with the babies father or another man. There was money for tattoos and expensive concert tickets,but somehow they could not afford their child's formula.

Snap is a federal program  so should be similar throughout the US. I have no doubt that sometimes it does not go smoothly for all but it is rare a government program does.

Edited by bonnie

If one has a habit of extending personal help to others from their own resources, Jesus , through His Holy Spirit guides one to those who have honest needs, and that to others whether or not they are squeeky clean.

If I know someone is in need,especially food I will gladly help them,probably the second time as well.But if the same person requires help the third time and has not made any effort to help themselves ,even if it is only better management with what they do have,I will move on. Some think it is compassion to keep handing out to those that can help themselves,even if they need a little nudge and refuse to. I don't

My husband used to have the contract thru HUD to paint and do minor wall repair.He was called back year after year to the same trashed homes. Why not,the occupants didn't have to pay for the work. All on welfare and food stamps.There again it was very common to see food products we could not afford at the time

We fostered children for years. With the exception of one mother who needed help during surgery and recuperation,every child we had initially acted if I were trying to poison them.If it wasn't a frozen dinner or boxed mac and cheese they refused to eat it. They did miss a couple of meals but then decided it wasn't so bad. They were appalled that they were expected to drink water when thirsty instead of soda. It isn't compassion that allows for that

​Abuse of the welfare system is not rare. 

​Abuse of the welfare system is not rare. 

​Your whole post makes a lot of sense. We live in an area where there are a lot of young people as well as older generation individuals who walk the streets, many obviously without homes. One particularly cold morning when on our way to church (we're about 10 miles from church home in the town) and we had passed a mound of what appeared to be some blankets, possibly with someone underneath them. Even though we were somewhat late I was impressed to turn around and find out if we might be able to offer some help. It happened to be a young lady who had been kicked out of a male individual's car as a result of a disagreement. I told her we'd be happy to take her home with us if she would be willing to attend services with us, where she could get a meal after the services provided by the church. She readily accepted the invitation, came back to the car and cried all the way to the church and continued to cry through the Sabbath school and preaching services, where I was able to get up front and let the congregation know we had a guest that needed some help, especially since I didn't have enough funds to pay for gas to deliver her where she needed to go to pick up her  belongings.

The Sabbath School acted like a well oiled (Holy Spirit) machine with individuals giving enough to meet the needs.

To make a longer story shorter this young lady, after telling her we prayed each time we went to town that God would lead us if He chose, to someone we might be able to reveal Him, if she felt this was a Divine appointment. That young lady along with some others she gave personal testimony to about the help given her, is now attending church with her children, admittedly conscious of God's care.

The way it has been revealed to me God does not necessarily call the equipped to work for Him,  rather He equips those who will answer the call.

Keep looking up! :prayer: Even so, come Lord Jesus.

God is Love!  Jesus saves!  :D:offtobed:

Lift Jesus up!!

Lift Jesus up!!

Back in Jesus' day, anyone unable to work had to sit where passersby might toss a coin or two their way.

If the welfare abusers of today had to line up in hopes of donations being tossed into their cups they might, miraculously, find ways to support themselves or at least stop having babies. Of course, we do see something like that in big box parking lots where scruffy-looking characters hold up their cardboard signs asking for money. According to some, they can make several hundred dollars a day hitting up sympathetic shoppers as they move from one parking lot to another.

I may try that if I ever get to retire. I might even have a cute little dog to increase the sympathy factor. $200 a day, tax free. Far better than my projected Social Security income.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

:)

Edited by GayatfootofCross

For all Eternity God waited in anticipation for  You  to show up to give You a Message - YOUR INCLUDED !!! { a merry dance }?️‍?

" If you tarry 'til you're better
You will never come at all "   .. "I Will Rise" by the late great saved  Glen Campbell

If your picture of God is starting to feel too good to be true, you're starting to move in the right direction. :candle:

"My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
The more I have, for both are infinite."

Romeo and Juliet

• Like 3

For all Eternity God waited in anticipation for  You  to show up to give You a Message - YOUR INCLUDED !!! { a merry dance }?️‍?

" If you tarry 'til you're better
You will never come at all "   .. "I Will Rise" by the late great saved  Glen Campbell

If your picture of God is starting to feel too good to be true, you're starting to move in the right direction. :candle:

"My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
The more I have, for both are infinite."

Romeo and Juliet

So you have a whole group of kids that were raised in homes where their parents didn't make good food choices. Do you think these individuals will automatically know how to eat nutritionally when they turn 18 and are out on their own? So when they get a job and it doesn't pay enough, and they get food stamps to help supplement their income, they are going to be penalized? In the shelter I'm affiliated with, we have classes that teach mothers how to care for their kids, they didn't have good role models and they honestly don't know what to do with their own children.

With this new regulation are they going to set up classes to teach people how to eat nutritionally? I won't hold my breath for that.

So you have a whole group of kids that were raised in homes where their parents didn't make good food choices. Do you think these individuals will automatically know how to eat nutritionally when they turn 18 and are out on their own? So when they get a job and it doesn't pay enough, and they get food stamps to help supplement their income, they are going to be penalized? In the shelter I'm affiliated with, we have classes that teach mothers how to care for their kids, they didn't have good role models and they honestly don't know what to do with their own children.

With this new regulation are they going to set up classes to teach people how to eat nutritionally? I won't hold my breath for that.

​Being on food stamps is not synonymous with ignorance. It does take a willingness to learn,a motivation to do better.  During the worst of the recession there were a number of classes provided here,a small fee was charged and to those receiving welfare benefits,it was free if they could not afford the fee. Healthy eating on a budget was one and they had beginning computer classes along with a more advanced class and others to improve chances for employment..Classes designed to teach life skills and to try to ready people for a job were cancelled due to lack of interest. You cannot go into a Dr's office ,pick up a magazine,turn on TV or just plain be awake and functioning and not be bombarded with nutrition information.Those of us that could not rely on food stamps could not afford to be uninterested.There wasn't that safety net.

Basic cooking classes should be mandatory if they show that much ignorance. All the small towns around here have them. Don't go,no food stamps. Don't take advantage of free classes designed to help you enter the job force,no benefits.

Many people don't grow up with the advantage of poor but good homes,but they also have the motivation to help themselves wherever possible

The mothers you help teach to care for their children have to have a desire and motivation to learn how to take care of their children or you will not be successful.

If the mother I watched recently buy the bakery goods,soda,potato chips and candy could not purchase those items at taxpayer expense I don't think she or her children would starve. Having to pay actual cash for those items puts a new light on buying them.

The percentage of those on welfare having TV's and computers is very high. The information is there if they have the motivation to learn and do better

She had a small child,probably 4-5 years old. That child had to weigh at least 90 lbs. When he walked his thighs rubbed together. She handed him a candy bar. You may believe that mother doesn't see her child so obese at such a young age,I don't. All her children were severely over weight as well as herself.It's free and easy.

Edited by bonnie

It is always so easy to use the word hatred if others disagree with you,isn't it?  Your version of compassion is not mine. I don't believe it is compassionate to watch a mother feed her small children into early gross obesity at such a young age. Not when there are options available for the taking and learning.

If I had hatred for those that need help I would have more material goods for myself than I have.I don't consider it hatred to want to see someone do their best with what they have and is given to them. Apparently you and others do.

A young woman that lived across  the street from me was recently kicked out with her boyfriend and two young children. Her grandmother made every attempt to help her. Provided her a really nice free home that she had moved from so she could get on her feet.The young woman is on full welfare benefits. She moved her boyfriend in and they completely trashed the home. It has to be completely redecorated before she can sell it. The girls mother and various friends tried to talk to her about expecting responsibility for utilities and other minor expenses,pointing out it was not doing the young woman any favors to hand it all to her. She finally realizes how much better off her granddaughter and G.grandchildren would be had she held her feet to the fire in exchange. Now she is worried sick about the two little ones .If the mother is nearly as concerned as grandma,she will take the opportunity to take advantage of the classes and knowledge out there to do better. Time will tell,for right now she is very angry at the grandmother for denying her free living.

When Jesus healed the paralyzed man by the pool and the woman that touched his garment,those on the receiving end had to show some motivation,some interest in helping in the process. The paralyzed man was first asked if he wanted to be healed. Sounds like a no brainer.Then he was told to pick up his bed and walk He could have easily as said,No Lord,you know I can't,you pick me up. The woman healed by touching his garment had to make an effort that could not have been easy to reach Jesus and touch his garment.

It is not hatred when information and education is sent to your mailbox,all you have to do is make a effort to show up to learn and do better,that is not hatred. In your world it is,but then I don't see your way as particularly loving either.

I gave the young woman across the street over 250.00 worth of free custom made clothing,complete with laundry instructions. When I watched what happened day after day to that gift I was able to find others that appreciated being able to dress their children nicely. If I were independently wealthy and could afford to throw good after bad it might be different.However that is not the case.

Edited by bonnie