ClubAdventist is back!

A Story of an Intersex in our Church

GayatfootofCross

“Intersex” is a general term used for a variety of conditions in which a person is born with a reproductive or sexual anatomy that doesn’t seem to fit the typical definitions of female or male. For example, a person might be born appearing to be female on the outside, but having mostly male-typical anatomy on the inside. Or a person may be born with genitals that seem to be in-between the usual male and female types—for example, a girl may be born with a noticeably large clitoris, or lacking a vaginal opening, or a boy may be born with a notably small penis, or with a scrotum that is divided so that it has formed more like labia. Or a person may be born with mosaic genetics, so that some of her cells have XX chromosomes and some of them have XY.

Though we speak of intersex as an inborn condition, intersex anatomy doesn’t always show up at birth. Sometimes a person isn’t found to have intersex anatomy until she or he reaches the age of puberty, or finds himself an infertile adult, or dies of old age and is autopsied. Some people live and die with intersex anatomy without anyone (including themselves) ever knowing.

I met an "I" Intersex Person who has quite a story of Growing Up in our SDA Church

She was raised a girl by her predominant SDA Educated Good Christian home. And always felt like a girl at first then as an adult always felt like a woman.

At puberty, manly features stated happening ( adams apple?voice lowering?hair on upper lip?big hands and feet? prominent squaring of the chin?)

The SDA school didn't know what to do (late 1990's) and told her she had to dress as a boy.

She looked like a big boy in a dress even though she had external female genitalia.

They insisted cause .. uh.. they are right and holy (couldn't possibly be wrong, I guess) ?.. So her being smarter than them on this  did something one day that changed their minds so they wont bother her anymore on this.

.She as a young minor couldn't very well tell them to"Shut up! It is none of your business!"

( a note to the Church today?)

The 'going to the beach day' arrived and all the boys went playing about with nothing but gym shorts on and the girls, of course, were covered up more.

Well even though the young pubescent girl was self conscious of her blooming body she went topless.

The church told her she is a boy,after all!

And even though she was not well endowed at all they were defiantly young women's breasts jiggling around in front of everyone on the beach that day!

Oh dear!

So the church school finally let her dress as a girl.

Still lookin a like a young man wearing a dress!

BOOM!

Lets fast forward a few years to adulthood When she is looking like an adult male at church wearing a Dress!

The SDA Pastor told her She is not welcomed at their Church until she puts on a suit and tie and brings a lady!

(pssst  ....the congregation were getting more and more agitated  with her appearance  )

You might ask ..Why bring a lady? To cover all questioning basis,of course.

"Maybe He is gay"?????????????????????????????

Can't have that either! Not in our Church!

She has never went back.

:(

No wonder, at church, we just see nice straight heterosexuals with genders fully identified and promoted.

What about LGBTIQQAA who long for a Christian Community?

There is something seriously wrong when the church doesn't have the marginalized and outcasts and people from the highways and byways found in the Congregation.

Edited by GayatfootofCross

For all Eternity God waited in anticipation for  You  to show up to give You a Message - YOUR INCLUDED !!! { a merry dance }?️‍?

" If you tarry 'til you're better
You will never come at all "   .. "I Will Rise" by the late great saved  Glen Campbell

If your picture of God is starting to feel too good to be true, you're starting to move in the right direction. :candle:

"My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
The more I have, for both are infinite."

Romeo and Juliet

This makes me sad. All people should be included in God's house; and all people deserve an equal right to life, love and happiness.

• Like 3

• Moderators

We all have to recognize that the church is made up of fallen, broken down people just like this intersex individual you have given as example.

We all have to recognize that the church is made up of fallen, broken down people just like this intersex individual you have given as example.

​yes yes Gerry Cabalo

You are so right!

Now .. hmmm.. how can we convince the Church of that?

and meanwhile..

The fallen and broken down Minister and His fallen, broken down Congregation stay in ?

And the fallen and broken down LGBTIQQAA still outside?       .. till the church gets it?  till the church gets it? ????????????? till the church gets it?

'Till they get they are just like them and perhaps far worse?

!!!

oh dear me

Hey I know!

Hopefully, Many Many (and I do mean MANYQUEERS are coming in with The Spirit of JESUS,accepted or not, and will wear whatever and be their glorious selves and challenge the celebrated comfortable hypocritical Laodicean status quo.

And they discover the Wonder of Wonders- they are all together in this and are more alike than not.

Wait till the Church gets the  glorious redeeming TRUTH  that they are called to accept as they are just as themselves are accepted too?  Time is Short! Jesus is coming soon!

(btw.. When you find Christians who don't understand that.. you can be sure themselves don't understand fully that they themselves are accepted in Thee Beloved and therefore block the Kingdom without meaning too)

Finally, All the fallen,broken down people together with JESUS as the Foundation!

Just as GOD intended!

A most Excellent Point, Gerry Cabalo. Thank you again! GBU!

# who knows? we might even throw a lil Orange Parade in the Church!

For all Eternity God waited in anticipation for  You  to show up to give You a Message - YOUR INCLUDED !!! { a merry dance }?️‍?

You will never come at all "   .. "I Will Rise" by the late great saved  Glen Campbell

If your picture of God is starting to feel too good to be true, you're starting to move in the right direction. :candle:

Romeo and Juliet

Reading your posts there really isn't much to recommend straight SDA christians is there? 

It would be interesting to hear the entire stories of the various gay/lesbian persecution you provide. I find it odd that entire churches participate in this behavior based strictly on someone being gay/lesbian. Especially a pastor demanding that someone bring a "church date" when he attends church.I don't attend a perfect church by any means. Flawed human beings everyone. It is a small fairly conservative church and this would not happen. I can't think of any of our churches locally that I have visited where it would. I can think of a few members that might not be the best at accommodating someone different,but not a entire church

Your stories remind me of  members we have had over the years. They absolutely knew they were being persecuted for being different or not conforming. In fact the real reason was the "enormous self righteous" chip they had on their shoulder,daring the "good christians" to knock it off. And yes,there are always those willing to accommodate.One was a very talented member that was turned down by the nominating committee. We made an attempt to talk to her privately with some concerns we had about placing her in office. Not a sexual orientation issue. Her response was the same as yours here. "Well what about so and so,that is as bad or worse".After all God loved her as much as the other members

She didn't take into account "so and so" was turned down by the nominating committee as well. She left the church blaming the "self righteous" members for persecuting her and driving her out. Over time I have heard her accusations against the church and it doesn't bear any resemblance to what took place. Here she would garner all sorts of sympathy for her treatment at the hands of the hypocritical christians.

A young man of multiple divorces and a lifestyle that was against everything we believe. He was treated like any other member. He left and I saw on facebook his announcement he left the church because he was tired of being judged.No one judged him,the embers attempted to befriend him and include him in activities.

HIs conscience judged him and rather than face that he blamed others,looking for the slightest word to place the responsibility on others.

The following in red suggests to me that you have a huge chip on your shoulder and are just daring someone to knock it off to prove how persecuted you and those with your  agenda are. Especially with continued remarks as .......# who knows? we might even throw a lil Orange Parade in the Church!

Narrow minded bigot as you seem to believe I and others are,NOT IN MY CHURCH. Gay parades can be held elswhere

The fallen and broken down Minister and His fallen, broken down Congregation stay in ?

And the fallen and broken down LGBTIQQAA still outside?       .. till the church gets it?  till the church gets it? ????????????? till the church gets it?

'Till they get they are just like them and perhaps far worse?

!!!

oh dear me

Hey I know!

Hopefully, Many Many (and I do mean MANY)  QUEERS are coming in with The Spirit of JESUS,accepted or not, and will wear whatever and be their glorious selves and challenge the celebrated comfortable hypocritical Laodicean status quo.

And they discover the Wonder of Wonders- they are all together in this and are more alike than not.

Wait till the Church gets the  glorious redeeming TRUTH  that they are called to accept as they are just as themselves are accepted too?  Time is Short! Jesus is coming soon!

(btw.. When you find Christians who don't understand that.. you can be sure themselves don't understand fully that they themselves are accepted in Thee Beloved and therefore block the Kingdom without meaning too)

Edited by bonnie

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

• Moderators

​Nay, my friend, there's more than an Orange Parade in heaven when one gay or lesbian sinner or ANY sinner repents!

• Like 2

​Nay, my friend, there's more than an Orange Parade in heaven when one gay or lesbian sinner or ANY sinner repents!

​amen!

My term "Orange Parade" is an inside joke with a few here. :)

Romeo and Juliet

​I think my cheeky humor

is lost on some. It is okay

and besides...

​I was referring to the Church being JESUS to All .. not Heaven! (well ..The Church being Heaven to all)

and as I said

AMEN to one sinner who repents.

If I was talking about a Parade in Heaven..I wouldn't limit to one color!

O Heavens No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the ONE who sat there had the appearance of jasper and ruby. A rainbow that shone like an emerald encircled the throne. Rev 4:3

Throne_Rainbow .jpg

Romeo and Juliet

• Administrators

I think an answer to those who seem to be uncomfortable with this story is that in each generation and in many churches, there are stories like this told and many untold.  In each generation, subculture, ethnic group, community, local church there seems to always be some category of person or people that are on the outs, in a minority, odd, out of sync, blessed with differentness, or unavoidably obvious weaknesses, frailties, struggles or whatever.  Humanity in general and churches in particular have a very checkered history in how they respond to such people.  Most often people turn away, hide them in "closets", chase them away, would rather not talk about them, touch them, talk to them, eat and fellowship with them, work with them, play with them, live with them or worship with them.  Occasionally that trend is broken by someone going counter to human nature or the prevailing sentiment of the in group.  Jesus was just such a person.  He lived that counter movement.  He told stories of that counter movement. He made people uncomfortable by by what he said and did along these lines.  He invited people to follow him and do as he did. Seek out and save those on the margins.  Be open to new and different opportunities to live that mission.

Like it or not, LGBTIQQAA is one of our generation's opportunities. 

Edited by Tom Wetmore
  • Like 3

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

I think an answer to those who seem to be uncomfortable with this story is that in each generation and in many churches, there are stories like this told and many untold.  In each generation, subculture, ethnic group, community, local church there seems to always be some category of person or people that are on the outs, in a minority, odd, out of sync, blessed with differentness, or unavoidably obvious weaknesses, frailties, struggles or whatever.  Humanity in general and churches in particular have a very checkered history in how they respond to such people.  Most often people turn away, hide them in "closets", chase them away, would rather not talk about them, touch them, talk to them, eat and fellowship with them, work with them, play with them, live with them or worship with them.  Occasionally that trend is broken by someone going counter to human nature or the prevailing sentiment of the in group.  Jesus was just such a person.  He lived that counter movement.  He told stories of that counter movement. He made people uncomfortable by by what he said and did along these lines.  He invited people to follow him and do as he did. Seek out and save those on the margins.  Be open to new and different opportunities to live that mission.

​It isn't a question of being uncomfortable.There never has been a time of a perfect church with perfect members. 

Nor are all stories true of this relentless persecution by these terrible pretend christians sitting in the pew. And at times those that feel so persecuted have a responsibility in that because of their own behavior

There is little doubt that LGBTIQQAA have certainly been the object of scorn when they should not have been. So have people that look funny from a birth defect,morbid obesity, poor in ragged clothes or a multitude of reasons. That is not a reason to celebrate the cause of their torment. Yet the gay/lesbian lifestyle is cause to do just that. There isn't any cause to beat them over the head with bible verses when they walk in the door. Nor is there cause to wink at it because you know there are worse sins. It isn't your call to determine which sin is worse. A gay lifestyle repented of is not "as bad" as what some may see as unrepented minor sins. Both will cost you eternal life if not repented of. 

If someone has the "unchristian" belief that this lifestyle is just plain wrong and are opposed to legalizing gay marriage they are somehow unfeeling,unchristian,self righteous bigots. LGBTIQQAA,celibate or not should not be treated any differently than the most respected member of the congregation or the man in the back pew

nursing a hangover from a fri night bender. 

Somehow it is the evil SDA church vs the ever so deserving LGBTIQQAA. They are no more or less deserving than anyone else. Nor should the lifestyle be celebrated. Except maybe by some of you that believe a little more study will show it really isn't wrong. Or prohibition of this lifestyle really meant only in certain circumstances.

Edited by bonnie

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Concerning any issue there will always be the isolated but what if? 

The bible is quite clear.... and defraud. You do this even to your brethren. 9Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,10nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.…

Nowhere in that verse does it place any sin in the favored position of "well this isn't as bad as the other sins that are listed. Just flip this around.  It is interesting that as many times as the sin of gossip,hypocrisy has come up that never have I read,"well that isn't as bad as a homosexual lifestyle". Gossip is soundly judged and condemned by the "do not judge crowd". They of course know what the "worse sin" is.

Nor is there at times the flippant response that is frequently given here concerning the homosexual lifestyle.A response of "there are usually two sides to every story and sometimes three" is never applied to the numerous complaints of persecution when it concerns the gay/lesbian agenda. Why not?

If perhaps we only need a little more study to determine that the homosexual lifestyle is not wrong,would a little further study show same for liars and gossips?

Nowhere has anyone indicated or stated that gays/lesbians should be banned from church,shunned or treated any differently by those opposed to legalizing gay marriage.Yet that is always brought up as an indictment against those that disagree with the gay agenda, as if that has been said. 

Homosexuality does not deserve a special protected position . No matter how you slice and dice it,it remains wrong. Not more wrong than any other sin,just plain wrong

Was this an actual story, or is it an Allegory to prove a point?

If so, which school?

​  Hello Stan! 

thank you for asking

I talked with her and we didn't exchange personal contact info. I did ask if she was on facebook and she said she was not. She grew up in Austria and that is all I know. As a stranger and a man I felt I could not steer the conversation any much more regarding her personal stuff or even grill her on her parents and school and even that church. The conversation went beyond what I shared regarding her pursuit of higher education and what not. I wanted to ask her more.

I totally got what she shared.

I instigated the initial  conversation sharing a bit of my story. It helped her open up to me. (one of the big reasons of why I share mine relentlessly .. you find people that connect on a common basis). I could not as a stranger ask about her genitalia. She shared it at one point matter of factually. Was she supposed to get up in front of the congregation to calm their fears and ignorance and loathing with repeating.

'But I have a Va jay jay!'

(getting a doctor's note?)

Maybe they would have let her back in wearing a dress?

She still looked like a man in their eyes.

I wouldn't want to go back if that was my ticket to their fellowship.

Ye Gads!

WHAT JESUS DID ON THE CROSS FOR ME IS THE TICKET TO FELLOWSHIP

​Amen Tom Wetmore, GBU!

Yes I notice it is a comfort. Not sins!

... We are not comfortable with people who are different from us. And we have a church (illustrated much here) who question the sexuality,church attendance, relationship with JESUS, etc. when someone stands up for the non normative.

Someone actually thinks that in a conservative SDA church setting face to face with where appearance is everything and reputations must be untarnished and positions to be held and not threatened that someone in her congregation goes against expectations and peer pressure to actually take a stand for something the majority loathes and have ignorant understanding of scriptures to back them up?

It is done all the time.

BTW ..I have seen ministers lead and the flock follow where it is not good, up close. Maybe someone here has heard or seen that to one degree or another?

"Like it or not, LGBTIQQAA is one of our generation's opportunities."

God bless you all here!

Romeo and Juliet

"Yes I notice it is a comfort. Not sins! "

I mean..

Yes I notice it is all about comfort for many. Not sins

# I need a live in grownup gay proof reader but he is not into message boards.. His heart can not take it and he is watering the flowers right now.

Romeo and Juliet

Jesus died for even the "isolated" (see www.isna.org/faq/frequency) intersex human. God breathed life into these humans as well.

I ask again, what lifestyle isn't wrong for the atypical 1 of every 1,500-2,000 humans?

Jesus died for even the "isolated" (see www.isna.org/faq/frequency) intersex human. God breathed life into these humans as well.

I ask again, what lifestyle isn't wrong for the atypical 1 of every 1,500-2,000 humans?

​Tell me why this keeps getting said as if you are debating a statement by someone that believes otherwise..............Jesus died for even the "isolated" (see www.isna.org/faq/frequency) intersex human. God breathed life into these humans as well.

Have you seen anywhere it being said otherwise? If you can't provide the statement stop trying to imply that has been said or is believed.

​hi Guest! GBU!

I grew up isolated and when I came out I found people like me.

I encourage all the non normative to risk being who you are to yourself and then to others.

Now to answer your question.

I believe that we as non normative individuals have the God given choice/right/privileged to define ourselves and how to live.

God did not call for anyone to lord over others and dictate to people who are different.

If they do think it is their job.

Just smile politely and wish them well and still stand up in every way and reach out to the isolated and marginalized  and outcasts.

I am sorry you had to ask twice to get a response.

Blessings! I hope this post finds you well.

Romeo and Juliet

What lifestyle isn't wrong fot those atypical humans, Bonnie?

​I can't tell you what lifestyle is right. Nor can you.  What I do know is a homosexual lifestyle is wrong Period,always wrong or the bible cannot be trusted. Just as adultery is always wrong. 

There is a vast difference between believing something to be wrong and dictating to someone how they should live their life. Two very good friends of mine happen to be a lesbian couple. I don't have the slightest desire to dictate how they should live their lives as they don't try to dictate mine. It is a friendship that would never have lasted had either of us been forced to condone,agree or celebrate the lifestyle of the other. Our personal beliefs on that was settled in the beginning and there isn't any reason to keep bringing it up or beating each other over the head with our beliefs. They are great women who live a lifestyle that I strongly disagree with. But I am not required to agree or accept it as just another choice.

Believing this to be wrong is not lording it over anyone. Just as believing the drunk,thief, gossip or liar is wrong is lording it over those that live that life. Perhaps the views of those that support this lifestyle feel called upon to lord it over me? Nah couldn't be,could it.

The gay/lesbian lifestyle is the only one it seems that is elevated to a special place for special consideration?  How you or GFC live your life is your business until you tell me I have to accept it as something special or I am lording it over someone. 

Interesting that you  will identify yourself only as guest

Thanks for answering my question. Would it make any difference if I identify myself? 

​Not really. Can't say I really care who you are. A name doesn't change what someone says. I just found it curious