ClubAdventist is back!

Reading assignment on WO

Tom Wetmore

• Administrators

Well worth taking the time to read http://webpages.charter.net/stephenbauer/Index.html 

Stephen Bauer is a professor in the religion department of Southern Adventist University.  He also served on the GC Theology of Ordination Study Committee.

• Like 2

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Members

very, very interesting, well-written, well-thought-out essays!!!

I have a question.  How are individuals "called" to be pastors?  How do conference officials *know* who has been ordained by God to become a pastor?  How does a particular individual *know* that he/she is being called by God to become a pastor?

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Administrators

Good questions! 

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Tom Wetmore pinned this topic
  • Administrators

by the results of their labors, is what i imagine.

• Like 1

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

• Administrators

Precisely.  Our Church Policy on qualifications for ordination confirms that it is the fruit of the calling that confirms it.  Specifically it souls won to Christ.  Many women have demonstrated this without question.  And in many instances, far more so than some of their male counterparts who get ordained.  

• Members

but ordination isn't solely a matter of an objective number of people being brought to Christ...  I just found the "GC working policy" from 2011-2012 on qualifications for ordination  ( http://session.adventistfaith.org/assets/397403:  )

It appears to me that those qualifications are very sound.... it also appears that they are not gender-specific.  :)

Screen_Shot_2015-06-07_at_8.35.21_AM.thu

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Administrators

Yes, all true. Souls won to Christ is of course only one of the qualifications listed.  But it is generally regarded as the most important.  All of the rest may be present, but ordination does not happen until that one is shown. 

• Tom Wetmore locked this topic