ClubAdventist is back!

Are Mental Health issues a form of Possession????

Femster

Femster I am glad you are receiving medical care and that you relate well with at least some of your care team. I don't have all the answers about the devil but I do believe God is stronger, and bottom line is He has and can overcome the devil- not just at the cross or when He comes again but in our lives today. When I had Hodgkin's disease, a form of cancer, I felt sick for a long time and had to wait to be better. It was months, but it wasn't forever. One of the things I battled with was depression due to a chemical imbalance from the chemotherapy. It was hard, and the pastor's wife suggested I pray, Lord, I can't hold onto you right now, so please hold on to me. One other thing that helped me was not to dwell on dark things- the devil, death, how the devil works, any of that stuff. Instead, I would read a chapter a day from the Desire of Ages in the morning. During the day, I had brain fog too bad and I could not understand anything new theologically, but in the morning for an hour, I could, and would read then. Also people may have done bad and sad stuff to us, but we need to focus on getting better and not the hurt. I would not dwell on what happens to those who harm themselves but do not think it is a safe path to follow. Instead I would focus on the most healthy stable good pure honest lovely things I can. I have been through some tough times mentally as well as emotionally, and resisting dwelling on evil in any form including the devil was essential for me. Evil does not make sense and has no explanation, good and truth and honesty and caring and compassion and unselfish love is what makes sense and helps us get better. 

Behold what manner of love the Father hath given unto us.

Please do not hurt yourself. Please hope things will get better. I will pray for you. I understand not wanting to be on medication forever, but this is not like an infection you take antibiotics for and are over. It may be more like type I diabetics need to take insulin. In my church there is a 10 year old girl who is an insulin dependent diabetic. She wishes she was not, and does ask why this happened to her. But she takes her insulin. 

Those who are bipolar and stay on their meds are much better able to handle life. For example one study of bipolar juvenile offenors showed those who went off  their meds were 5 times as likely to be arrested again. 

definately NO  going off my meds. I just wish my brain didnt go through this- and affect me so :(

definately NO  going off my meds. I just wish my brain didnt go through this- and affect me so :(

​I wish it was better too but I am glad you are working with the best treatment plan you can. I hope you will feel better soon.

i had a consult with the pyschiatrist yesterday afternoon- he isa di did the right thing in repsonse to my very bad weekend- i upped my meds as he was going to up them to that dose anyways- i got there firs, by about 6 days. but id id what i did for a reason, and watched for all telltale signs of reactions etc. Nothing. apart from gettig a little tongue tied and not being able to always get my words out, everything is going well :)

i had a consult with the pyschiatrist yesterday afternoon- he isa di did the right thing in repsonse to my very bad weekend- i upped my meds as he was going to up them to that dose anyways- i got there firs, by about 6 days. but id id what i did for a reason, and watched for all telltale signs of reactions etc. Nothing. apart from gettig a little tongue tied and not being able to always get my words out, everything is going well :)

I am so glad you are starting to feel better femster.

i am but my appetite has gone ballistic and i am eaiting like there is no tomorrow- that might be the trade off

• Moderators

Suicide is not the unforgiven sin that keeps people out of an eternity with Christ!  God's plan of salvation includes mentally ill people!

Your list of mental health conditions clearly places you in a place where you will have struggles.  The message of the gospel is NOT that you will never have any of these.  Rather it is that God will walk with you as your path through life takes you into those situations.  It will probably be that you will find more relief from some than you do from others.  In any case, keep up the work with mental health professionals, take your medications as proscribed and work on maintaining your relationship with God.  He will not leave you.

Gregory

i am but my appetite has gone ballistic and i am eaiting like there is no tomorrow- that might be the trade off

That is something I may be able to help with. Regular exercise can help offset the increased appetite often seen with bipolar medication. Walking also helps with both anxiety and depression.  Another thing that helps is having tasty but lower calorie foods around like vegetables with a dip and fruit. For summer I like fruit juice popsicles. Hang in there, even though this is a problem it does sound like you are doing better. Blessings, Laura

Femster,

I have a promise of healing for you that comes from the Desire of Ages.  I hope this will bring you the same hope and comfort it has always brought me.  Claim this promise in prayer for yourself.  If you can't quite believe God will heal you, do just as the father of the boy who was demon possessed did and say, I believe.  Help thou my unbelief.  You can find this story in Chapter 47 of Desire of Ages.  It is one very powerful chapter.

“They shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.” This world is a vast lazar house, but Christ came to heal the sick, to proclaim deliverance to the captives of Satan. He was in Himself health and strength. He imparted His life to the sick, the afflicted, those possessed of demons. He turned away none who came to receive His healing power. He knew that those who petitioned Him or help had brought disease upon themselves; yet He did not refuse to heal them. And when virtue from Christ entered into these poor souls, they were convicted of sin, and many were healed of their spiritual disease, as well as of their physical maladies. The gospel still possesses the same power and why should we not today witness the same results?

Christ feels the woes of every sufferer. When evil spirits rend a human frame, Christ feels the curse. When fever is burning up the life current, He feels the agony. And He is just as willing to heal the sick now as when He was personally on earth. Christ’s servants are His representatives, the channels for His working. He desires through them to exercise His healing power.  Desire of Ages pp 823,824

• Like 2
Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Femster,

I have a promise of healing for you that comes from the Desire of Ages.  I hope this will bring you the same hope and comfort it has always brought me.  Claim this promise in prayer for yourself.  If you can't quite believe God will heal you, do just as the father of the boy who was demon possessed did and say, I believe.  Help thou my unbelief.  You can find this story in Chapter 47 of Desire of Ages.  It is one very powerful chapter.

::like::

2Bless the Lord, O my soul,
And forget not all His benefits:
3 Who forgives all your iniquities,
Who heals all your diseases

God is Love!  Jesus saves!  :D

Lift Jesus up!!

This is a very serious condition and the fact that you grow angry and threaten to walk away from God. You might, some day, if you keep saying that you will. 

What is your life like? You don't need to tell me, but consider it, and pray about it. Have you given the devil an avenue into your home, your life, your mind? 

What kind of music do you listen to? What do you watch on TV? How closely and carefully are you following the health counsel in diet that God actually gave us through His messengers? How do you respond to stress?

No need to answer me. Talk to God about these things. I can honestly say that I have some experience in these things, and I do believe it is a form of possession, and that other factors may be involved as well. The devil can't possess you, unless you let him. He can still torment you, though, but you can give these things to God. It takes a lot of changes, but I believe it can be overcome.

And if you have a chemical imbalance, you may need the medication, too. 

I'm certainly no expert on these things, but I know for sure this is a time when you need to lean more closely on God. If you get angry with Him, instead of threatening to leave Him, go to Him. Pray. In private, present your questions. Look for answers in Scripture, in Spirit of Prophecy. 

Get rid of any avenue for the devil to enter into your home: fiction, drama, movies, most music (rock and roll, even contemporary Christian). Try to think positively, pray, have your morning devotions, drink herbal tea. Refocus your thinking. Say aloud things that you are thankful for. You will need help with these things. Don't try to do it alone. Don't stress so much about avoiding stress that you get stressed out over it...See the beauty in life. Go out in nature. 

The enemy of souls wants to destroy you, but the Lord will help you. 

“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.” Psalms 46:1

And yes, God is stronger, and has already overcome. (John 16:33)

I'll be praying for you. Please don't think that I am pointing an accusing finger, nor that I am trying to tell you not to take your medication. My intention is not to judge you, nor to play the doctor,  but to help with what advice that I can give. I do believe that we can overcome these things through the Lord's help.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." (Philippians 4:13, KJV

Edited by Miss Jessie

• 2 weeks later...

Mental illness runs in my family.  Other than my alcoholism (which is a mental disorder) I have yet to be diagnosed with any other but... that day may come.  My mother is bi-polar.  My roommate during college was bi-polar and schizophrenic.

I do not believe mental illness is demon possession although I think historically many societies have concluded that.  The brain is an organ that can get sick.  When it is sick, it needs to be treated.  Often times the best way to treat mental illness is a combination of talk-therapy and medication.  

From what I understand about demon possession, it is most common in societies and groups with occult influence.  I suspect the reason we do not see a lot of it in western society is because all the major belief systems (including atheism) shun the occult.  Those with mental illness may be more susceptible to demon possession.  It is important to follow the doctor's advice and get a second opinion if possible.  It is also important to go to some form of talk therapy.  And let's not forget Bible study.  Doing the daily Sabbath school lesson is a good place to start. 

• Like 2

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• 2 weeks later...

i aa nowon 2 medications- one that helps with the bipolar- Lamotrigine ( originally an anti epileptic) and now one to help with the anxiety and depression.

The lamotrigine has been upped to 3 tablets a day-75mg in total- the other one is only one tablet a day.

still having the downs but they arent so bad. I think the meds will be upped agaikn shortly. I have to watch for reactions such as a rash as the rash can be fatal.

Thank you to those who have been praying for me and who have contributed to this thread- itis most gratefully appreciated and i can see Gods work in you all.

• Like 2

i aa nowon 2 medicationerr ling s- one that helps with the bipolar- Lamotrigine ( originally an anti epileptic) and now one to help with the anxiety and depression.

The lamotrigine has been upped to 3 tablets a day-75mg in total- the other one is only one tablet a day.

still having the downs but they arent so bad. I think the meds will be upped agaikn shortly. I have to watch for reactions such as a rash as the rash can be fatal.

Thank you to those who have been praying for me and who have contributed to this thread- itis most gratefully appreciated and i can see Gods work in you all.

i am glad you are starting to feel better woyh the depression. I praybyou will receive what you need to stay healthy but not have bad reactions. Laura

Our standing with God is not connected to "mental illness," or lack thereof. Neither is it connected to "prayer," because sometimes the "illness" is so severe, literally nothing "works;" and all of our senses and responses literally become frozen.  If we can look to God at this point, then we can know we have something real instead of dry theory and the religious cocktails of "solutions" for families or individuals who suffer with a mental illness. There is always a little bit of light, but when the _** hits the fan we sometimes cannot see it and must lean on someone who can see it. Sometimes this ends up being a family member, sometimes a friend, sometimes a counsellor or a health care professional. Rarely does it happen with church members. Which is really sad.

So long as we disconnect our self from the possibility of benefit from advice from the King of kings and great Physician, we will be denying the purity of help that only He can provide. My own wife was under various maladies for which my own nonprofessional status would not allow the costly forms of medical professionals many people take for granted. This went on for the better part of 30 years, all the while we spent multiplied thousands of dollars on a yearly basis, from the medical community that only gave temporary relief from the incessant pain she suffered. 

All this while we were practicing Christians as SDA, myself never thinking to make concerted effort in prayer for Divine assistance but using natural methods in concert with doctors. The good news is that there were four maladies which were favorably influenced for removal that were not considered to be easily addressed by the medical community at that time. Those maladies included Asthma, fibromyalgia, peripheral neuropathy, and migraine headaches, which she now no longer has, at least partially resulting from adopting healthful eating habits.

I'm satisfied her present excellent health is primarily a result of Divine intervention through having run into a pastor who suggested an anointing service for healing, plus her removal from all chemical pharmaceuticals and using only educated habits of using healthful supplements, not to mention recognizing hearts of gratitude for God honoring the promises of His Word. 

26 “If you diligently heed the voice of the Lord your God and do what is right in His sight, give ear to His commandments and keep all His statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you which I have brought on the Egyptians. For I am the Lord who heals you.”.....Exodus 15

10 The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.....John 10

Lift Jesus up!!

I agree prayer and anointing are important and natural remedies too, which I have taught about for many years. I also have received help for asthma and fibromyalgia with natural remedies. But I have know several religious people who had people praying for them with bipolar disorder who required medication to be their best.  For some things we need medication. I had chemo many years ago for Hodgkin's disease, a form of cancer, and am thankfully alive and well today. I was anointed and had natural treatments first, but I also needed the chemo. The rigorous natural treatments did provide an extra boost so I responded faster.

For bipolar disorder, taking a multiple vitamin without added iron, eating a balanced diet, and using flax seed oil may help provide good nutrition for the brain, but I would not suggest them in place of medication.

Hi, I was wondering if a "Prayers and Prayers Answered" journal or a "Blessings That Have Happened to Me" booklet might remind you of the positive things in your life for when you feel most vulnerable?   Most of us quickly forget the details from day to day of how God is working in our lives and how many blessings we discover as we follow Him.

Edited by Deaconess

Hi, I was wondering if a "Prayers and Prayers Answered" journal or a "Blessings That Have Happened to Me" booklet might remind you of the positive things in your life for when you feel most vulnerable?   Most of us quickly forget the details from day to day of how God is working in our lives and how many blessings we discover as we follow Him.

::like::

Lift Jesus up!!

Thats actually a really good idea for lots of life situations and circumstances. I have a friend who was telling me recently that he has a "Gratitude Journal" and I forget how many years he said he has had it. I know it was just a few, but he has just over 50,000 entries in it!  Now that would be an awesome and encouraging thing to spend a rainy afternoon reading through. And I know that the principle involved is very well illustrated in the following quote:

Here's a bit of wisdom from the Spirit of Prophecy.

Sorry, my computer is telling me it's past time to go to bed.

God is Love!  Jesus saves!  :D  :offtobed:

Lift Jesus up!!

• Members

I didn't know Ellen White had a computer...

• Like 3

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

I think this is what I had in mind. It was written after the publishing works burned down.

We have nothing to fear for the future, except as we shall forget the way the Lord has led us, and His teaching in our past history.  
Selected Messages Book 3, Page 162

OTOH I forgot what that has to do with devil possession which just proves the point it makes, errrr, I think!

Lift Jesus up!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

I have had some rough times, and yes i reacted as any person in mourning would, however i did not get the big crash i thought i would.

My medication has been upped to 100mg of Lamotrigine, and 20mg Citoprolam.

i am also now on a tablet for my Restless legs- which can change my moods for the wrose, but i am to watch for it, only take it when needed, and discontinue if it happens.

My anxiety is slightly high due to starting university, studying Theology. Worried about writing essays the right way, and not plagasrising, and getting things right.

But i know that my lecturers are there to help ( me being 47 i am slightly rusty), and i can get some books to read to help me.

Thanks you to all of you who have been praying for me.

Hello all,

I have had some rough times, and yes i reacted as any person in mourning would, however i did not get the big crash i thought i would.

My medication has been upped to 100mg of Lamotrigine, and 20mg Citoprolam.

i am also now on a tablet for my Restless legs- which can change my moods for the wrose, but i am to watch for it, only take it when needed, and discontinue if it happens.

My anxiety is slightly high due to starting university, studying Theology. Worried about writing essays the right way, and not plagasrising, and getting things right.

But i know that my lecturers are there to help ( me being 47 i am slightly rusty), and i can get some books to read to help me.

Thanks you to all of you who have been praying for me.

So sorry you are going through rough times Femster but glad you are doing better! Laura

• 4 months later...
On June 8, 2015 at 8:39 PM, Gail said:

Prayer... And if it responds to medication count it a gift of God that the right doctor tried the right thing!

Not even close. When did Jesus ever send someone to a doctor? NEVER! Pharmacai (pharmacy/pharmaceuticals) comes from the word witchcraft. More and more I see SDAs worshipping doctors. Very sad.