ClubAdventist is back!

Lock, Stock, and Boards

james423

• Moderators

Lock, Stock, and Boards; the Harris Pine Mills story is one of the most interesting but saddest books I've read in years, a book I just finished reading a few minutes ago.  It is the story of Clyde and Mary Harris.  Clyde Harris built Harris Pines Mills into one of the great success stories in the furniture business and handed over the $10 million business to the Seventh-day Adventist Church.  Charles Nagele, the author's father, was the church administrator sent to run the new church-owned company, which he did until he retired about 35 years later.  

With access to documents others might not have through her father, Marilyn Nagele Applegate writes the story from a personal yet professional angle. It's a gripping story, yet told in a way that no one's name is dragged in the mud.

The tragic end of Harris Pine Mills - shut down through lack of knowledge of the business by General Conference administrators - should cause every Adventist to realize that while ministers should be the leaders of the church it should not be assumed that they know how run everything.  And just because you have been a successful cement truck manufacturer doesn't mean you know much about the furniture business either.

If the information contained in this book is even remotely correct, God must have been very saddened by the way that His people aborted a very promising gospel wedge into the world of business.  Satan rejoiced, I am sure. In addition, the publisher of the book - the Review and Herald - is out of the business of actually printing and selling books, tracts, and magazines - a tragic loss that fortunately my grandfather, who worked in their typesetting department for over 40 years, was not around to see.

The book is definitely worth a read.

James Brenneman

• 3 months later...
  • Administrators

James, thanks for this review. My boss' parents worked there and we have sold many copies of the book. You are correct about running businesses... The same could be said about ministries, too. Before the founder is gone s/he needs to find someone who shares the vision and hire competent persons to pick up the torch.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Moderators

It reminds me of a saying about self-supporting schools at one time:

No self-supporting school has survived its founders.

I don't think this is entirely true, but the school (or ministry) seldom survives with its ideals intact.

James Brenneman