ClubAdventist is back!

Dr. Patricia Habada

Jeannieb43

• Moderators

The well-known Adventist educator, Dr. Patricia Habada, passed away this last week. 

[For details, consult Adventist Today.org.    Sorry I was in a rush when I read about it and couldn't take time to absorb all the details.]

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

• Administrators

Dr Pat Habada was a member of my local church and an amazing lady.  The last time that I visited with Paul & Pat it was obvious that time was drawing near for the Lord to call her home.  Her contributions will long be recognized.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

By AT News Team, June 24, 2015:   The educator who oversaw the production of many of the textbooks used in Adventist schools in North America and coordinated the development of the current children’s Sabbath School curriculum for the denomination died last week (June 18). Dr. Patricia A. B. Habada was 86.

In the 1990s she joined the General Conference Sabbath School staff and was the primary coordinator and general editor for the GraceLink curriculum for children which is now used worldwide in many languages. It was the first complete refreshing of the materials for children’s Sabbath School in many decades, and a very complicated task involving large numbers of writers, illustrators and designers along with a wide range of considerations and concerns about the needs of children at various age levels, learning styles, theology and methods of instruction.

“The GraceLink curriculum was a monumental achievement,” a retired church administrator familiar with the project told Adventist Today. “She had the patience and the depth of understanding to bring it together and see it through. It has given the denomination a very high quality religious education framework.”

In 1988, Habada took on the issue of ordination for women serving in the Adventist clergy. She launched an independent educational organization named Time for Equality in Adventist Ministry (TEAM) which has provided significant research in Adventist history and theology, as well as raised funds to assist many young women in pursuing ministerial training in Adventist colleges and universities around the globe.

In 1995, TEAM published The Welcome Table: Setting a Place for Ordained Women, which included papers from 14 Adventist historians, Bible scholars and administrators. It was later translated into Spanish and distributed throughout Latin America. Habada was the coeditor of the volume along with Pastor Rebecca Brillhart.

Habada “modeled the humility, courage and personal sacrifice it takes to initiate and sustain systemic institutional change,” Brillhart said, reflecting on the many years they worked together. Brillhart has been a pastor at Sligo Church on the campus of Washington Adventist University in Takoma Park, Maryland, and at the campus church at Pacific Union College in Angwin, California. She is currently a consultant to nonprofit organizations and based in Sacramento, California.

Habada is survived by Paul, her husband of 66 years; two daughters, Shirley Harvey and husband Donald of Nashville (Tennessee) and Beverly Habada of Adelphi, Maryland; three grandchildren, six great-grandchildren and numerous nieces and nephews. She is mourned by many, many friends throughout the global Adventist community.

The family has asked that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to TEAM. These are tax-deductible in the United States and can be mailed to Box 7816, Langley Park, Maryland 20787.

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

• Administrators

Wonderful, talented and dedicated woman.  I had not seen her for a number of years.  (I think the last time was in the GC cafeteria when she cam back to help out with some project after she had retired.)  While I didn't have opportunity to work with her a lot, I  did on a few occasions.  I have also been well acquainted with the work of TEAM and a number of the other friends that I have that have kept TEAM going.

I went to academy with her daughter, Paula Jo, who passed away a number of years ago.  I am also acquainted with Beverly since we were both members at Sligo and from living in Takoma Park for about 12 years.

She will be missed.  The legacy of her work will live on.  Nothing would be more of an affirmation to her than if the Church truly moves forward on the WO issue next week.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)