ClubAdventist is back!

Can one proscribe_____________________

LifeHiscost

______________________their personal preferences in the name of their faith without taking offense? Here is an interesting article that might help one's personal faith for the better, instead of feeling they have to arbitrarily restrict their freedom.

image.jpg
Photographed by Linda Troeller.

Before I began my formal conversion to Judaism, when I was a reporter who covered various stories in the very religious neighborhood of Borough Park, Brooklyn, a Hasidic subject gently suggested that when I attend her organization's meetings, I dress to fit in. By this, I knew she meant that I dress according to the rules of tznius [modesty], and cover my elbows, collarbone, and knees. Some might have found such guidance irritating, but I wasn't offended at all. I was thrilled. It felt a bit like going undercover in a culture I had always admired from afar. And, if I'm honest with myself, I also thought covering up would allow me to ignore, if not overcome, any lingering body shame.

When I exited the 55th Street subway station wearing a gray knee-length skirt and high-necked black and gray striped T-shirt, I was able to imagine myself as a character, a person who walked humbly and thought of G-d often. Now, here I am, three years later, a religious Jew, while less observant than many of the people I met in Borough Park, but nonetheless, committed to my faith.

http://www.refinery29.com/orthodox-judaism-empowering-modest-clothing

God is Love!  Jesus saves!  :D

Lift Jesus up!!

• Moderators

You said "proscribe."  Did you mean "prescribe?"  I am a bit confused.  The two words differ in meaning.

Gregory

You said "proscribe."  Did you mean "prescribe?"  I am a bit confused.  The two words differ in meaning.

I was using the word proscribe intentionally with the idea that some feel pressure after accepting an already organized faith, that it has some nuances not appreciated and not allowing deviation from the norm of the majority. It seemed the article this girl wrote pointed out some common sense decisions that gave her freedom in her chosen faith, although I do admit I didn't spend a lot of time studying the article.

After looking up the definition of the word and viewing how the word was used by one faith group, I tend to think my assessment is even more valid.

pro·scribe
prōˈskrīb/
verb
past tense: proscribed; past participle: proscribed
  1. forbid, especially by law.
    "strikes remained proscribed in the armed forces"
    synonyms: forbid, prohibit, ban, bar, interdict, make illegal, embargo, outlaw, disallow, veto;
    "gambling was proscribed"
    antonyms: allow, permit
Origin

God is Love!  Jesus saves!  :D

Lift Jesus up!!

• Moderators

I simply was not certain of your use of the word.  Proscribe is as you have said.  Prescribe has the opposite meaning.

Gregory

To be frank, I still don't know what you're asking. Can one forbid/prohibit/ban their personal preferences in the name of their faith without taking offense?

• Moderators

Aubrey, LIfe posted a comment.  I did not understand it and asked him to clarify.  He did.

Gregory

Greg...thanks for explaining everything to me all of the time. You can't imagine how much I appreciate it. 

I get it.

• Moderators

Communication may be poor enough face to face.  My wife is quite willing to tell me that she did not understand me.  :)  Communication if this forum Is much more subject to misunderstandings.

Gregory

• 2 years later...
Guest Hookup Apps

I have deleted the content of this post.  It violated the norms of this forum by posting websites that facilitate hookups.  We do not allow such.  The preference in such cases is to move the offensive post to a closed area.  I  could not  do that without moving the entire thread, which I wanted to continue.  So, I have simply deleted the offensive website.

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

In an earlier post, Aubrey said what is in the post below:

Aubrey, you are welcome and apologies for not responding to this sooner.  My intent was to comment further on your comment.   However, In view of the fact that your comment is 2 1/2 years old, I see no reason to resurrect it at this late date.

The best to you and   may you have an enriching time here in this forum.  You do contribute.

Greg...thanks for explaining everything to me all of the time. You can't imagine how much I appreciate it.

Gregory