ClubAdventist is back!

Doubt

Dr. Shane

There are not a lot of church members that talk about doubt.  This is not a common topic discussed around the potluck table or a theme in many sermons.  However this is a topic that is often discussed in 12-step support groups.  When we are honest with ourselves, most can admit that to some degree they have doubts about their beliefs.  A few staunch atheists and a handful of religious radicals can honestly search their innermost beings and find no doubt at all about what they hold to be true.  Most people find themselves somewhere in the middle of the belief spectrum.

If we say the atheist rates a zero on the belief scale and a suicide bomber rates a 100 on the belief scale we can start to chart our belief and put our doubt into perspective.  Many times in 12-step support groups I have heard agnostics exclaim they just cannot be sure.  So what does that mean when applied to our belief scale?  They can't get past the 50% mark on the scale or they can't get past the 10%.  Perhaps it simply means they can't get to the 100% mark - few of us can and it is debatable if that is even healthy.

To me, faith means living the way the Bible teaches even if my faith does not registrar at the 100% mark on the belief scale. Personally, if I were to chart my own belief out, I would say my belief is somewhere between the 75% and 80% mark.  Given all the historical evidence we have to support the Bible record, the fulfilled prophecies in the Bible and the recent and remarkable ministry of Ellen White, I feel rather certain that God is real and Jesus not only existed but rose from the dead as recorded in the New Testament.

• Like 2

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

I see your points and the scale you're trying to use. But I would not compare my strive to have 100% faith in God with a suicide bomber. We will need strong faith (probably 100% faith) to get us through the times ahead that this world will plunge into very soon. The difference between some people's 100% faith is not whether the percentage itself is health or not, but to whom they lend that amount of faith to. Suicide bombers are agents of Satan, so of course they will express a twisted way of looking at faith so the world can look at religion skeptically and wonder if its worth anything. But the faith that Abraham, Moses, Elijah and of course Jesus (who had 100% faith) was righteous and they manifested what faith in the True God really looks like. That's the kind of 100% faith I want.

But for now, if I were to be honest, I think my faith is in the high 80% - 90%? Not sure if I'm kidding myself or not through Heaven's eyes though. The reason why I say that is not because I'm questioning God's existence, but because if I had truly great faith I'd be more serious about doing what He says immediately without question, hesitation or worry because I would trust His plans for me and make His desires my desires all the time.

Edited by DreamWeaver

I don't know. The historical evidence can't be dismissed, but personally I've been continuously disappointed over the last ten years.  If that's what God wants to let stand as a testimony to His character, so be it. 

To be an agent of creation is to serve the Creator.

• Administrators

I don't know. The historical evidence can't be dismissed, but personally I've been continuously disappointed over the last ten years.  If that's what God wants to let stand as a testimony to His character, so be it. 

:(

Although some church people would rather not hear of doubt I prefer honesty in confessing it. 

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

To elaborate, it's one thing to have an intellectual level of faith, accepting the historical, prophetic, and scientific evidence supporting Scripture. Still, it makes claims about things we can expect from God in this life, and that point is enough to start calling the other things into question. At a certain point, no quantity of words in a book are going to substitute for real things actually happening. 

To be an agent of creation is to serve the Creator.

• 4 months later...

I guess the paragraph I liked best in the article was this one.

Realizing I'm an introvert has been freeing in a way. I don't have to think something's wrong with me when I really don't want to go somewhere three nights in a row. When I long for a quiet night at home with just my little family and my snuggly dog. When I want this most nights, actually.

Okay, when I want this every night.

ROFLMHO 

How one relates to a person like that tells more about the person who thinks the other ought to change than the one who is or is not truly introverted.

God is Love!  Jesus saves!  :D:offtobed:

Lift Jesus up!!