• Robert

• Gerr

• Norman Byers, N.D.

• Clio

Quote:

Explain!

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

"Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance" Matt. 3:8

"therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire." ibid 3:10

"Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?" ibid 7:16

"And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down." Luke 13:9

"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit" John 15:5

"I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain" John 15:16

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law" Gal 5:22, 23

"By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith." 1 John 5:2-4

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

So I would change the statement from:

1] "While works will not save us, we cannot be saved without works"

To:

2] "While law obedience will not save one, lack of the friut of the Spirit in one's life proves his faith is a shame and therefore Christ cannot vindicate him in the judgment."

The Bible says, "Men look at the outward actions, but God looks at the heart." Maybe that's why EGW states the following:

"The opinion prevails with many that all which appears like courtesy or refinement must, in some sense, pertain to Christ. Never was there a greater mistake. These qualities should grace the character of every Christian, for they would exert a powerful influence in favor of true religion; but they must be consecrated to God, or they also are a power for evil. Many a man of cultured intellect and pleasant manners who would not stoop to what is commonly regarded as an immoral act, is but a polished instrument in the hands of Satan. The insidious, deceptive character of his influence and example renders him a more dangerous enemy to the cause of Christ than are those who are ignorant and uncultured." [GC 509]

• Moderators

Quote:

Robert said:

So I would change the statement from:

1] "While works will not save us, we cannot be saved without works"

To:

2] "While law obedience will not save one, lack of the friut of the Spirit in one's life proves his faith is a shame and therefore Christ cannot vindicate him in the judgment."

[:"blue"] Me thinks you are playing the same semantics Jack is playing his exposition of Rom 6:14,15.

Is not the fruit of faith obedience? How does one judge whether a theory is valid or not except by whether it works or not? And how does one judge whether a faith is genuine or not except by whether it works or not? [/]

Gerry

Robert said, Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

archierieus said:While works will not save us, we cannot be saved without works.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Explain!

Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments(love to God and man that is revealed by good works), that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. (this is all fruit as a result of receiving the Gospel and the Spirit)

Rev 22:15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. (those who are guided by works of the flesh, no Spirit in their unsurrendered lives )

We are saved without works, but works reveal that we have accepted the Gospel and let the Holy Spirit work through us. If you don't reveal good works, then you are left with only one work, the works of the flesh; which leaves one outside for the city lost forever. We can only bear fruit to the Spirit or the flesh, we can't do both at the same time and then believe that we have accepted the Gospel and are led of the Spirit. There needs to be a complete surrender to God as a loving response to His love.

Gal 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

Norman

The unconditional pardon of sin never has been, and never will be. PP 522

Quote:

archierieus said:

Quote:

Clio said:

Through love, gratefulness, and thanksgiving for the magnificent love, honor, glory, redemption, adoption and salvation inherent in a sealed real blood covenant with Abba, we do as He asks and commands because we love Him and He loves us.

Now, as to your post, which I have excerpted above--without a doubt, you are correct, and that is a wonderful picture of what can and should happen. However, the grim face of reality interjects itself. At least as often as not, we simply do not do what we ideally should do. Does that affect our salvation? Is our standing with God in jeapordy? One thing we can say for sure. "The goodness of God calls us to repentance." (Rom. 2) We cannot continue in sin, and we cannot persist in sin, and expect to be saved in God's kingdom. While works will not save us, we cannot be saved without works.

Dave

Dave - I just saw this post. You are a scholar. To really get into this, and correct the assumptions that are implicit just by the questions you ask, you really need to understand what a Blood Covenant does.

And unless you've read Trumball's Blood Covenant, you just don't have the frame of reference to understand what was being done, and what was accomplished within the frame of Blood Covenanting.

I would love to discuss this indepth with you more, especially in light of scripture with an underpinning of understanding Blood Covenant. I think together we could really gain blessings... would you please consider locating this book and reading it?

Your calvinist characterizations, free will, and OSAS are so far off the mark of what I was trying to say, it's clear I'm not explaining this concept clearly enough. But there's just SOOOOO much, I can't get it into a post or two.

It's the most awesome, amazing work Abba and Jesus have ever done.

Clio

A heart where He alone has first place.

Quote:

Robert said:

Quote:

Clio said:
What Sequeira is proposing in not truth. It is lacking the understanding of the Blood Covenant.

Here's "the blood covenant" in a nutshell:

Heb 9:22 "...the law [i.e., the 1st 5 books of the OT] requires that nearly everything be cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.

23 It was necessary, then, for the copies of the heavenly things to be purified with these sacrifices, but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these[see Heb 10.1,2]

24 For Christ did not enter a man-made sanctuary that was only a copy of the true one; he entered heaven itself, now to appear for us in God’s presence. 25 Nor did he enter heaven to offer himself again and again, the way the high priest enters the Most Holy Place every year with blood that is not his own.

Of course you know that the OT sacrifices pointed to Christ's work. Hence those sacrifices from the blood of bulls and goats were symbols of Christ the reality!

Heb 10:5 Sacrifice and offering Thou [God] hast not desired,

Please note that these OT sacrifices God did not desire....It was used as a show and tell....It pointed to Christ's future work.

But a body Thou hast prepared for Me

That's the gospel! A body was prepared for the self-existing Christ. That body was our fallen humanity under the curse of the law taken from Mary's womb. So when you hear the law demands our blood, it means that it requires our life!

Did our old life die in the humanity of Christ? Paul says yes [read Rom 6:6/Rom 7:4] Anything outside of this truth is a perverted gospel. So Sequeira is right on the money!

No Robert. That is NOT the Blood Covenant. You are speaking from a LACK of knowledge.

Covenanting is lost knowledge in the western way of thinking, and it's becoming lost knowledge even in the middle east and elsewhere around the world.

Before you make statements like you have made, you need to really understand what is involved in a blood covenant, and then apply that knowledge to what is written in scripture. You've managed to miss almost the entire point.

You are also a deep digger and a scholar. Please consider getting Trumball's book Blood Covenant, reading it, and then applying it to what you already understand.

It will astound you.

Clio

Quote:

Clio said:

Your calvinist characterizations, free will, and OSAS are so far off the mark of what I was trying to say, it's clear I'm not explaining this concept clearly enough.

Hi Clio,

Actually, my comments about calvinist aspects, OSAS etc., pertained to Jack Sequeira's teaching and that of the neo-1888 movement, and as espoused by Monsieur Robert. I simply don't know enough about the concept you are sharing--the 'blood covenant--to make any kind of observation about it. I do, however, have some thoughts which may bear on the subject generally, but would like to share those thoughts this evening, after finishing with today's visits and Bible studies.

Regards, Dave

I hope you'll consider reading the book before you do. I really don't have the full handle on it I would like, and often feel overwhelmed with the beauty, grace, and provision of it... and then I feel like my head is going to explode!

But the deep in my bones understanding never leaves me, just as the joy and praise never leaves either.

But defending, dissecting, and discussing the finer points? I dunno, I 'm still digesting the meat and reading all the scripture Mr. Trumball bases his biblical applications on.

Clio

Clio, I did google on 'Blood Covenant' but so far didn't find the book mentioned. Do you have a web link?

My questions are a bit general in nature. They pertain to the First Passover in Egypt, to the Old Covenant (Ex. 19:3 - 8) and the New Covenant (Heb. 10:15 - 17).

Regarding the First Passover, wherein the believers painted lamb's blood on their doorposts so that the angel of death would pass over their homes, would you consider that to pertain to a blood covenant such as you describe? If not, what do you see as the significance of painting the blood on the doorposts?

I believe this question is very relevant to the subject of this thread. Here's why. The believers took part in the Passover. Subsequently, they were baptized in the Red Sea (1 Cor. 10). Then, the Old Covenant was ratified at Mt. Sinai. How did the 'blood covenant' figure into all of this?

In spite of their status as covenanting parties, almost all of them perished in the wilderness, as a result of their continuing rebellion against God. IOW, their status as covenanting parties, their baptism, their entry into privileged status with God, was not sufficient to save them for entry into the Promised Land. Because they continued to sin, after becoming covenanting parties, they perished. This truth strikes a death blow to the concept of OSAS, as well as the Calvinistic election. They ALL were the elect, but because of the subsequent exercise of their wills in rebellion against God, they perished.

These things were written as examples for us, upon whoms the end of the world has come. Let him that thinketh he standeth [perhaps because being a party to the covenant] beware lest he fall!

We are under the New Covenant, ratified by the blood of Jesus. These things were written as a warning to us, lest we become complacement and rest on our laurels as parties to the New Covenant.

A question for Robert: What think you of the foregoing?

Regards, Dave

Clio, I just ran another Google search, and this time found it by searching for "H. Clay Trumbull" (rather than 'trumball'). On page 2 of the results, I found the book listed by Amazon.com. I read the editorial review, plus three reader reviews. Sounds like a well-researched book. It also sounds like it would definitely pertain to the Passover in Egypt.

Regards, Dave

It absolutely does. In actuality, the blood covenant predates Egypt. It began with Abraham, when he became the "friend of God" and was sealed with the blood from his circumcision. It is significant that it was not just blood, but the blood from the very source of life, his loins, further sealing the promise to all of "Abraham's seed".

Passover was definitely a RENEWING of the Blood Covenant first promised to Abraham. But the Blood Covenant that is binding and for which Abraham's is actually a subset, we first see in Abel's sacrifice. He offered HIMSELF, through shed proxy blood, to be one with his Creator.

Because Cain chose to offer fruit of the ground rather than blood which was understood to be 'life', his offering amounted to a "present". Abel offered himself.

That is the difference.

It is the Blood Covenant that allows Abba to be both merciful and just. A party to the Blood Covenant who does not deliberately and continually in rebellion violate it, can approach the Throne at any time, since the Cross, when it was ratified forever with the Original Blood instead of Proxy Blood, and ask for and receive forgiveness.

When all choices have been made, those who ultimately reject their Saviour and all that means, will have forever chosen rebellion and have forfeited their rights, privileges, and responsbilities under the Blood Covenant; for them, there is only one punishment, Death.

The Passover is a subset of the Blood Covenant. It depicts Jesus in the future, the Paschal Lamb for all. And those who reject His Blood Covenant will die, just as surely as those who rejected the Blood Covenant symbolized by the Passover lamb, and the painting of the blood on the doorposts.

Do get the book. You will not be sorry.

Clio

Quote:

Robert said:

Quote:

Clio said:
No Robert. That is NOT the Blood Covenant. You are speaking from a LACK of knowledge.

Okay...tell me where I am wrong!

Rob

I wish I could in a nutshell. But I will try. You're lacking almost the entire foundation, and I am still digesting what I've learned. I really wish you'd just get Trumball's book a read it.

Here goes.

Quote:

Here's "the blood covenant" in a nutshell:

Heb 9:22 "...the law [i.e., the 1st 5 books of the OT] requires that nearly everything be cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.

Not quite. It's not the "shedding of blood" that brings forgiveness. It's the shedding of blood that forms the Blood Covenant and it's the Blood Covenant between Abba and man, sealed with Jesus' Blood that allows the Father to be both merciful (forgiving us our sins) and just (destroying those who violate the Blood Covenant) without a paradox.

Quote:

23 It was necessary, then, for the copies of the heavenly things to be purified with these sacrifices, but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these[see Heb 10.1,2]

Again, not quite. The copies of the heavenly things weren't "purified" per se. They were consecrated by proxy blood for service in the proxy shedding of blood to renew the Blood Covenant when the human parties to the covenant violated it... or sinned by falling short of the mark by violating the covenant.

Quote:

24 For Christ did not enter a man-made sanctuary that was only a copy of the true one; he entered heaven itself, now to appear for us in God’s presence. 25 Nor did he enter heaven to offer himself again and again, the way the high priest enters the Most Holy Place every year with blood that is not his own.

Here Paul is talking about the rite of blood covenanting, speaking in clear terms that the receivers of his writings would clearly understand.

He's saying when Jesus came, He didn't need to sacrifice in the existing temple, because proxy blood was no longer necessary before the Most High. His Blood was the Blood promised to make it possible for man to become one with the Divine. It is the blood covenant, and the concept of one nature shared between two bodies that is the core and the promise and the salvation of a blood covenant.

He shed His blood once, that we might take on His nature, just as He took on ours. And with that, comes the rest of the Blood Covenanting meanings. You cannot accept that we share His nature through the Blood Covenant without accepting all else that comes with it. True Sonship and Daughtership to the Most High, to the SAME EXTENT that Jesus is His Son.

In other words, someone who has entered into the Blood Covenant, with the complete understanding of what that means, can call upon the Most High and EXPECT WITH TOTAL BELIEF that they will be answered just as Jesus was answered. Abba cannot FAIL TO HELP, just as He could NOT fail to help Jesus. It would abrogate everything of who He is. The Blood Covenant is based on the very source of LIFE STUFF inherent in who the Most High is.

Since Jesus' Blood is perfect and was the official Seal of the Blood Covenant promised to Adam, there is no need of proxy blood offered again and again.

A Blood Covenant guarantees the parties equal inheritance rights in both families. A Blood Covenant forms a bond so strong, so sacred, so close, that in ancient times, marrying a sibling of your blood covenanted friend (sometimes called strong friendship in ancient times) was deemed incest.

Quote:

Of course you know that the OT sacrifices pointed to Christ's work. Hence those sacrifices from the blood of bulls and goats were symbols of Christ the reality!

You got this part right, but it's so lacking in what a Blood Covenant means that it has almost lost it's impact in today's society.

Quote:

Heb 10:5 Sacrifice and offering Thou [God] hast not desired,

Please note that these OT sacrifices God did not desire....It was used as a show and tell....It pointed to Christ's future work.

Sort of. It pointed to Christ's future work in that it temporarily sealed the Blood Covenant with the Most High until He deemed the time right for Jesus to come and seal that covenant for all time. It's secondary purpose was to point to Christ's work on the Cross as the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

If there was no spiritual principle of blood covenanting with the Most High at work, then animal sacrifice was simply gratuitous blood letting to "teach Israel a lesson". Not something that is in character with the Abba of Love that is the Most High.

It was through the faith and understanding of what a blood covenant meant that forgiveness of sin could occur. Each Israelite was to understand that the blood offered was proxy blood. And that it was only through a Blood Covenant and offering oneself for union with the Divine that sin could be forgiven. For it was through the Blood Covenant that man could take on the divine nature lost to him at the fall.

Quote:

But a body Thou hast prepared for Me

Jesus taking on human nature - part of the Blood Covenant so that we can take on divine nature.

Quote:

That's the gospel! A body was prepared for the self-existing Christ. That body was our fallen humanity under the curse of the law taken from Mary's womb. So when you hear the law demands our blood, it means that it requires our life!

True as far as it goes. That's still not Blood Covenant. That's Divine Universal Spiritual Principle #1 that even Abba couldn't get around, so the Blood Covenant was promised and entered into in order to save fallen humanity.

Quote:

Did our old life die in the humanity of Christ? Paul says yes [read Rom 6:6/Rom 7:4] Anything outside of this truth is a perverted gospel. So Sequeira is right on the money!

Hmmmm... how to explain this since you're lacking foundation pieces to this understanding....

OUR personal humanity didn't. Not until we enter into Blood Covenant with Jesus and the Most High. BUT when we do, THEN the nature of humanity that suffered the second death in Christ becomes ours, JUST AS DOES HIS DIVINE NATURE BECOME OURS. Because that is one of the principles of Blood Covenant. One Nature, two bodies. Closer than genetic siblings.

The Lord's Supper as recorded in the Gospels is a blood covenanting rite. And Jesus even gave us the traditional accoutrements to a completed covenant.

Many times, if the blood of the two covenanting parties wasn't mingled via a wound on each body, the hands of each participant would be cut, and a few drops of blood would be allowed to drip into a chalice filled with wine or grape juice. This would then be stirred, and passed around to the parties to drink, they and all their witnesses.

Then sacred food, usually from an animal, but often bread since bread was important to life if all the rest you had was meat, would be shared from the same loaf or the same animal.

As time passed, it became sufficient to pass just the wine or juice as it had come to symbolize the Blood. And bread became sufficient as it symbolized the body of the proxy sacrifice.

When Jesus said, Take drink, and take eat, this is my blood and my body... He was giving us the mechanism to renew and repledge ourselves into the Blood Covenant He was getting ready to seal for all eternity.

The traditional gifts following a blood covenanting are fine raiment and armor. Jesus provides us both gifts. He gives of raiment of righteousness, white as snow, to replace our filthy rags, and He gives us the armor of Ephesians 6.

Please consider getting this book and doing the digging necessary. You really won't be disappointed and the vistas of understanding it will open up to you, may keep you busy studying throughout eternity.

Clio

Quote:

OUR personal humanity didn't
[die]. Not until we enter into Blood Covenant with Jesus and the Most High. BUT when we do, THEN the nature of humanity that suffered the second death in Christ becomes ours, JUST AS DOES HIS DIVINE NATURE BECOME OURS.

Q] When did our personal humanity die the 2nd death?

A] "For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this, that One died for all, therefore all died" [2 Corinthians 5:14]

Quote:

Robert said:

Quote:

[die]. Not until we enter into Blood Covenant with Jesus and the Most High. BUT when we do, THEN the nature of humanity that suffered the second death in Christ becomes ours, JUST AS DOES HIS DIVINE NATURE BECOME OURS.

A] "For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this, that One died for all, therefore all died" [2 Corinthians 5:14]

that One died for all, therefore all died" [2 Corinthians 5:14]

Straight from the principles of Blood Covenant. And only applicable to those who have entered in to the Covenant.

Get the book, do the research, so we are discussing from the same base of knowledge.

Otherwise there's no point.

Clio

Quote:

Clio said:

Quote:

Robert said:

Quote:

that One died for all, therefore all died" [2 Corinthians 5:14]

And only applicable to those who have entered in to the Covenant.

Your conclusion is not supported by the Bible....Clearly "all died" when Christ's humanity took the curse of the law. It doesn't say, "some died"! "All men" were redeemed "in Christ" legally. "All died" is a historical account...it is in the past tense.

Rob

Actually, Robert it is.

But you lack such a large degree of foundation knowledge regarding what a Blood Covenant is, you can't see it. The knowledge of this rite has been lost from Western thinking, if indeed it ever made it to us.

Jesus clearly understood it. The Lord's Supper was clearly a Blood Covenant rite. Jesus even said it. This is my BLOOD shed for you.

That's why I said get the book. It is Biblical. 100%.

After you've done the homework necessary to understand what a blood covenant is, then I'll be happy to discuss with you the "biblicalness" of my conclusions.

Until then, it's pointless. We're trying to compare apples and grapefruit.

Quote:

Clio said:
That's why I said get the book. It is Biblical. 100%.

You enjoy it....I, by the grace of God, understand the full and complete gospel. The blood covenant is simply "our" life laid down in death! We had to die...and die we did "in Jesus Christ." We accept this truth by faith.

Rob

*sigh*

Robert, that's NOT all a Blood Covenant is. It is a part of what a human/Divine Blood Covenant sealed with Jesus' blood is. But if that's all the truth you want to know, that's fine.

But don't fling false accusations at me over something you refuse to learn about.

That's like a man with his eyes closed saying the sky is reddish orange because he can see the light from the sun through closed eyelids.

Clio

Quote:

Robert said:

Many a man of cultured intellect and pleasant manners who would not stoop to what is commonly regarded as an immoral act,
is but a polished instrument in the hands of Satan
. The insidious, deceptive character of his influence and example renders him a more dangerous enemy to the cause of Christ than are those who are ignorant and uncultured." [GC 509]

This statement taken by itself puts a pale of suspicion on every decent act or thought expressed by all human beings, therefore negating every earnest effort by humans to share their joy in efforts to make the lives of other human beings

more joyful in the lawful activity of mutual benefit desired by the Lord of glory.

It therefore becomes incumbent upon every earnest believer to lift up Jesus and the Godhead as the giver of every good gift, that others may see their good works and glorify their Father which is in heaven.

[:"red"] "...every good giving, and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the lights, with whom is no variation, or shadow of turning..." [/] James 1:16-18 YLT

[:"red"] "...so let your light shine before men, that they may see your good works, and may glorify your Father who [is] in the heavens." [/] Matthew 5:16 YLT

[:"red"] "Love bears up under anything and everything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person, its hopes are fadeless under all circumstances..." [/] 1 Corinthians 13:7 AMP

DOVE.gif

Lift Jesus up!!

Quote:

Clio said:

consider.....Blood Covenant...and then apply

Clio

[:"red"] "And they overcame him because of the blood of the Lamb and because of the word of their testimony, and they did not love their life even when faced with death.

" [/] Revelation 12:11 AMP

and,

[:"red"] "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments. " [/] John 14:15 NASB

[:"red"] " If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love. " [/] John 15:10 NASB

The word "will" denotes a promise that will be fullfilled in the lives of those who yield to the will of the Father.

[:"red"] "If a shepherd has one hundred sheep, and one wanders away and is lost, what will he do? Won't he leave the ninety-nine others and go out into the hills to search for the lost one? And if he finds it, he will surely rejoice over it more than over the ninety-nine that didn't wander away! In the same way, it is not my heavenly Father's will that even one of these little ones should perish." [/] Matthew 18:11-14 NLT

DOVE.gif

Lift Jesus up!!

Quote:

archierieus said:

Speaking of answering questions, Robert, why haven't you answered my question to you (Post # 202007)?

Dave

Ask the questions again....