ClubAdventist is back!

Do you think I'm gonna get fired?

lazarus

Hi Cricket,

Quote:

Murderers, rapists, child abusers--they dress in suits, sneakers, sweaters, wing-tips--reveal nothing about their true selves by what they wear. Ministers, lay evangelists, businessmen/women--they dress in suits, robes, dresses--reveal nothing about their true selves by what they wear.

How am I supposed to reply when you change the parameters by adding in other situations. (I added what I did, to state that our attire makes a statement) I was initially talking about going to church in the presence of God. FYI, I do have a certain way that I dress when I pray at home. I won't pray without a shirt on, I won't pray with a hat on and there are other things that I do. That doesn't mean that I won't talk to God when I'm getting prepared for my work day. It's not because I think that God will not hear me if I don't follow these rules but because I love and respect my Father.

Let me put it this way, whatever your culture, there is a respectful way to dress and there is a disrespectful way to dress. I choose to respect and give glory to God in my dress. I have clothes that I wear to church and only to church and I have clothes that I wear to work and will wear them elsewhere buy not to church. I would if for some reason my church clothes got messed up somehow.

That reveals my heart in the sense that I don't get up and think, "Oh it's Sabbath, I've got to go to church and I don't know what to wear... ahh, it doesn't matter what I wear God loves me." No, I love God and want to be at my best for Him inside and outside. Jesus reproved the Pharisees for making the cup clean on the outside but being filty on the inside. That doesn't mean we can take less care of our outer appearance, it means that we should take care of our inner appearance (heart) first and then make the outer clean. Dress well, to the glory of God.

Having said that, if someone shows up at our church in jeans I have no problem with that. If they keep coming back they will change and dress in a more appropriate manner when they are convicted. I'm not their Holy Spirit.

Norman

The unconditional pardon of sin never has been, and never will be. PP 522

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dr. Shane

• cricket

• Norman Byers, N.D.

• lazarus

Quote:

If they keep coming back they will change and dress in a more appropriate manner when they are convicted. I'm not their Holy Spirit.

Likewise, you are not mine. You are making an assumption here that is way out of line. It is the assumption that the Holy Spirit will direct others in the same way that He directs you.

The Holy Spirit convicted me to wear casual clothes when I am with the Lord. He has convicted me that the Lord wants a casual, informal relationship with me--not one that is based on societal pressures of formality. If you wish to argue about what He has told me, take it up with Him.

I apologize for adding parameters in this thread. You may keep it simple if it suits you better.

NFT

Hi Cricket,

(Please don't take this as an insult.)

I'm sure that as you grow in Chirst and experience His love in a deeper degree, you'll have a change of heart.

Norman

The unconditional pardon of sin never has been, and never will be. PP 522

Norman,

The Lord works in mysterious ways. You cannot be sure that as I continue to grown in Christ that He will lead me to the things He's led you to. In fact, quite the opposite may be true: He may very well be leading you to the things I'm experiencing in Him right now.

Where you might be a vein (transporting waste-rich blood), I may be an artery (transporting oxygen-rich blood). Where you might be a mammary gland, I may be a prostate.

Each of us have different functions; each has different chemical and physical makeup. We are different creatures, you and I. The Lord works with us in different (yet, specifically precise) ways.

What works for you does not necessarily work for me. What the Lord impresses upon your heart is not necessarily what He impresses upon mine.

NFT

• Moderators

Well, the deed has been done. I preached in jeans for the most of my sermon last sabbath.

I decided, at the appropriate part in my sermon, to talk about how we judge people by how they are dressed.

"people will look at your suit, tie, shirt shoes ...."

Then I said "what if I were to lose the jacket", I took my jacket off....then the tie, then my shoes. Then I took a pair jean out of a bag and pulled them over my dress pants. I had practiced a few times and the jeans were baggy so it didn't look weird. There was a lot of exitement...some thought I was going to take my pants off!

There were some sour faces and some who just could not look. I preached the rest of my sermon in jeans and a white shirt and brown shoes. Generally, I got the message across. A conference official a happened to be there and he said he loved it but he's pretty young and progressive.

I glad I did it....I'm working on my next sermon about Goliath...I'm thinking of wearing stilts for the WHOLE sermon!

Too early to see if i'll get fired...I know there have been calls to the senior pastr by now...but thats usual

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Administrators

It sounds as though you did it in an appropriate manner. My guess is that you will probably receive more positive than negative responses.

Naomi

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

Sounds like you did a great job!! I like sermons that are well illustrated and if you get in trouble forit....well....some people just need to loosen up a bit. The point of going to church isn't to be "stuffy" but to get a message acrossed. It is great for the pastor to generally wear a suit but nothing wrong with pulling on jeans to make a point, at least in my opinion. I would have enjoyed hearing your sermon!

Quote:

Taylor said:

The point of going to church isn't to be "stuffy" but to get a message acrossed.

sorry.gif129933-offtopic2.gif

I thought it was about worshipping the God of heaven and bringing honor and glory to His name.

[:"red"] "Give honor to the LORD for the glory of his name. Worship the LORD in the splendor of his holiness." [/] Psalm 29:2 NLT

DOVE.gif

Keep the faith!

Lift Jesus up!!

• Moderators

just kidding about the stilts by the way

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• 4 weeks later...

If you get fired for getting a message across then I think you really did get your message across wink.gif

I'm half joking.

All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

I remember a friend of mine talking bout the pastor and his sermon...The pastor's sermon was about not visiting with the other church members and rushing out the door of the church to get home."Where is the lingering? Where is the fellowship? Wny the rush to get home?" the pastor was known to have said during his sermon. At the end of the sermon, he rushed down the isle, and out the door, and jumped into one of the ferrari that belonged to one of the doctor's....

The point was made.....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

and jumped into one of the ferrari that belonged to one of the doctor's....

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

That makes more of a point than any part of the sermon could have...

It's not OK to wear a wedding ring to show publicly that we are married...and it's not OK for one of the sisters to wear a $2 string of beads, because it is an unnecessary adornment...

...but a Ferrari - of course, that's FUNCTIONAL.

(for those who want to use this as an opportunity to sink the boot into us doctors...I'm still driving the little Toyota I was driving 10 years ago as a medical student. This tendency to conspicuous automotive consumption seems to strike all occupations in the Adventist world.)

aldona

www.asrc.org.au

(Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, Melbourne)

Helping over 2000 refugees & asylum seekers each month

IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library

The Public Domain Music Score Library - Free Sheet Music Downloads

Looking for classical sheet music? Try IMSLP first!