ClubAdventist is back!

I'm still a Newb when it comes to Food

DreamWeaver

If there are any other people here who don't eat meat (eggs included), dairy, alcoholic beverages or caffeinated stuff (like chocolate, coffee, teas and various soda products), do you think you can please toss me a few ideas on what I can cook and eat? So far I have found tasty stuff like black bean burgers, pickled asparagus, veggie burritos/burrito bowls and even some veggie noodle dishes that I can eat and enjoy. I found a few other things as well, but I could use more help. I have been a vegetarian for about three months and I often find myself just putting together side dishes and hoping it will taste good. Its not nasty, I just feel like my mind is struggling a bit to adjust to getting creative with fruits and veggies and I want to stimulate my imagination with some discussion here on the forums.

If you have any recipes, restaurants, menu preferences from certain places or store items you think I should check out, please share it with me here. I'd really love to know so I can expand my mind on this subject. If you could share images of the dish you're talking about, I would really appreciate that. Images make things 10x more delicious to me than just text. :P

I'm not completely vegan, but I've found Pinterest to be quite helpful my search for gluten-free, low oxalte, vegetarian recipes. They still require a lot of tweaking to avoid the 100 or so allergens my husband can't have, but thebinspiration is there. 

Our favorite dishes involve squashes--spaghetti, acorn and butternut. I enjoy lentil soup (a dish my husband can't have). When dining out, we love Indian and Chinese fare.

If you'd like a recipe for the oat bran muffins I eat everyday, I'd be happy to share.

• Like 3

Aubrey is right - many Asian and Italian dishes are vegetatian or vegan.  I would add Mexican to the list as long as beans aren't flavored with lard.  Beans are an excellent source of protien an fiber for vegans; although some people don't appreciate the auditory and aromatic entertainment they provide afterwards.  Nuts are also an important part of a vegan diet. (Not peanuts - their not really nuts; they are a legume) We were completely vegan for about 10 years.  I'd say the most important secret to veganism is variety in your diet.  Another big thing is dark greens - spinach, kale, beet greens etc.  A good rule of thumb is the greener it is the more nutritious it is.  Another secret is to do it gradually.  It takes time for your taste buds to adjust to liking all fruits and veggies; and losing your taste for meat.

• Like 3

DREAMWEAVER

well  maybe  you can  ask the  ladies  at you church for recipes   or you  could   buy a  vegetarian cook book  for  eating  at  home???

as  for a  eating  out  most restaurants  have a  vegetarian  list in their menu

dgrimm60

My situation is bit more complex than you might think. 

Please provide me with food advice here on the forums if you can. I'd really appreciate it.

info@christinacooks.com

This website is a vegan cooking lessons.  Christina gives vegan cooking of PBS and you should be able to get recipes of her lessons.

• Like 1

Does anyone know of any soups and sandwiches?

And does anyone know if its possible to get something similar to chicken/tuna salad when you're only using fruits and veggies? (No imitation meats please. Just saying.)

Does anyone know of any soups and sandwiches?

And does anyone know if its possible to get something similar to chicken/tuna salad when you're only using fruits and veggies? (No imitation meats please. Just saying.)

Ever heard of Jackfruit? It has a meaty texture. I use it to make a vegan tamale. Also, if you first freeze tofu it can have a very meaty texture--makes a good BBQ.

• Like 1

Aubrey's Basic Oat Bran Muffins:

Makes 12 Muffins (Or 18-24 Mini Muffins)

• 2 1/4 c Oat Bran (Should be the consistency of a flour)
  • 1/4 c Chopped Nuts (Walnuts are healthiest, but I use pecans.)
  • 1/4 c Pumpkin and sunflower seed mix
  • 1 TBS Chia seeds
  • 1 TBS Flax seeds
  • 1/4 c Choped Dates (Or raisins, or craisins, or blueberries, or dried cranberries or dried cherries)
  • 1 TBS Baking Powder
  • 1/4 c Packed Brown Sugar (Or 1/4 c honey or molasses) <--I don't use any kind of sweetener at all. Still think they're delicious.
  • 1 1/4 c Skim Milk (I use coconut milk. Almond milk and rice milk work just the same too.)
  • 2 egg whites or 2 egg substitute (I use 1/4 cup of applesauce, sometimes I use 1/4 cup of pumpkin puree.)
  • 2 TBS vegetable oil (I use coconut oil, but never 2 TBS, more like 1/4 of a TBS)

Directions:

In large bowl, whisk all ingredients together. Line muffin tins with foil/paper baking cups (I use silicone "tins" so I don't have to use the baking cups. I spray the "tin" with coconut oil spray and the muffins fall right out after baking.) Bake at 425 °F for 14-17 minutes. (Mine take 14 mins 30 secs) Test with a toothpick--it should come out moist but not wet.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

We use fried tofu in our stir fry, but I think the packaged noodles are made of wheat.

I cube the tofu and fry it with a little olive oil in a cast iron skillet. While it's frying, I add a generous amount of liquid aminos, soy sauce, liquid smoke, and maybe some teriyaki sauce. I stir it occasionally until the liquid is gone and it's nicely browned. I fry the pineapple chunks (for my wife) the same way. That's about the only way I will eat tofu, except for scrambled, although I have seen some people make fried tofu sandwiches. You could fry the tofu in slabs, then. The stir fry we like has carrots, cabbage, celery, onion, water chestnuts, and pineapple chunks, but you can add whatever you like. Sometimes I add toasted, slivered almonds.

I have also made vegetarian corn chowder (5 out of 10), my wife's homemade chili (9 out of 10), oatmeal burgers (9 out of 10), and carob brownies with date frosting (10/10). I'm going to experiment with the oatmeal burgers by adding shredded veggies. The original recipe has the pre-fried burgers put in a glass dish with mushroom soup, then baked in the oven. Recently I made lentils, with a few added veggies, which tasted poorly until I added a package of chili seasoning (10/10). My wife's oven-baked Spanish rice uses V8 juice (10/10).

I just got a crock pot and am on the lookout for tasty soup, bean, and other recipes. I wonder if you typed the ingredients that you have that the internet could find appropriate recipes. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

There is a fake bacon that is called Striples. I'm not sure who makes it, but it will be in the freezer section of the grocery store. I like to make BLT's with it, it's delicious. :)

• Like 1

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

That vegeburger looks like something I'm going to try to make myself if I ever get to spend a day off at home.

I make my own veggie delight sub sandwiches with the usual stuff in it, but I pour a little vinegar and oil dressing onto the bread first to give it a little zing.

I have made my own bread in the bread machine, but I need to do something to glue the bread together to make decent sandwiches that don't fall apart. Although, I could pull the dough out of the machine when ready and make sub sandwich buns in the oven. Bread sticks, too.

The fried tofu makes a big difference when it's put into a wrap or corn tortilla with veggies.

We've used Bacos in the past to make BLT sandwiches, but they are a little crunchy.

• Members

If you get 3abn or hope channel, they have cooking shows throughout the day.

• Like 2

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Members

The one I like the best is on 3abn. Its called "Abundant Living."

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}