ClubAdventist is back!

Trust and Common Sense

Gail

• Administrators

Trust and common sense: where does one stop and the other begin?

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Members

I don't think trust and common sense are mutually exclusive..

• Like 2

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

I agree with Rudywoofs.

But, I can see where in some cases it might be common sense not to do something, when on the other hand if we were to simply trust it may turn out okay. I think of the trust exercise where one is to fall backward into the arms of someone they trust, but common sense says no way, no how!

• Like 1

• Administrators

I trust the banks bookkeeping system to be correct

Common Sense tells me to reconcile my accounts

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

I think sometimes we hold onto trust in desperation long after our common sense has told us to let go.   We want to believe that others hold to the same values as we do...   when many times they do not and we make excuses for poor behavior because having someone seems better than being left out and alone.    Only our common sense trust is safe with God and he is the only one who will never fail us.  

Edited by Deaconess

• Administrators

I agree Deaconess, in principal, yet I wonder if we sometimes dig our heals in and fail to compromise (without devaluing our principals) on non-salvational issues,  (for lack of other comparison). 

Most definitely God is our only rock of safety ... our human companions have spent our entire lives on a sinful planet and we will fall short many times ... in our relationships and in our personal private decisions.

I submit  that if a person has a different faith or lifestyle than ones self, run don't walk away.  Yet, do not be judgmental ... just apply self preservation.  long term friendship is difficult with a different set of values. 

Let the conversation began ....................

Compromising is very important. I was referring more to relationships where it is you that have to do all the compromising and the other party holds no desire or willingness to adhere to important basic truths (like honesty). Sometimes permitting yourself to let self-preservation kick in is a difficult line to step over and free yourself from reoccurring and deliberate hurt. OTOH, I can interact with people who hold many varying beliefs from me and hope that I can somehow be a witness to them in some way or at least try to drop a seed for their future consideration. As for non-salvational issues, I think that I need to let God convict others on what he thinks is the most important issue to start with in that person's life. Since we are not fully aware of what each person is experiencing, sometimes it hurts more than it helps to pound someone over the head with whatever non-salvational issue is at the top of our own list.

• Administrators

:) Yes, I spent 20+ years in the relationship that you described. I agree with your assessment.