ClubAdventist is back!

Thank you.

I'm not worried about it. At any rate, I've decided to hang onto my computer for a little while. I've got a backpack now to carry it around in, so it's not as bothersome. 

• 3 weeks later...

This is probably a dead topic but for future readers.... aside from wiping drives. If your looking for a new computer 1. If it's a desktop, you can build your own for much cheaper and better quality than store bought. 2. If u want a laptop, consider a chromebook. There ultra thin, portable, and quick. But! They don't run widows so, youd need to address what you want to use it for first. But to check email, youtube, facebook, ca, they'd be great.

I suppose the topic's not dead yet. My computer's still working well, but shut off unexpectedly yesterday as I was editing a video. Thankfully, the Lord has already provided encouragement in someone who is having a laptop fixed up for me. I might not take this computer with me. I'm not sure yet. I do plan to try to sell a few things before I leave, and maybe this computer will be on the list, or maybe I will trade it for the other one. This person could probably wipe the computer clean for me. Hm...

Well, anyway, we'll see what happens. At this rate, I think this computer which cost the people who purchased it for me around $2k, possibly more or maybe less (at least 1k) years ago, but I'd probably only sell it for $20-50, considering what a new one goes for (less than $500, probably less than 400) at WalMart, and how beaten up it is. 

Hm...don't know yet...

God's timing is perfect, and I'm so thankful for how He provides. 

Edited by Jessie-Jess

Why do some of you give such silly and extreme answers? It's like you're either joking or think I'm trying to hide some deep, dark secrets. I'm primarily concerned about protecting my identity, online accounts, credit, etc. I don't think I have to worry so much since most people aren't that desperate to do evil. 

Of course, that's not my only concern, for I am ashamed of my past, but most people probably aren't too desperate to find that out, either. Most files from the anime, video games, music, etc that I used to be addicted to are gone from my computer, I think. As far as my online search history goes, they could probably tell a significant difference between my interests then and my interest now. 

Edited by Jessie-Jess

• Moderators

Building your own computer:  Yes, that is something that one can do.  I have built from scratch most of the computers that I have owned, other than laptop computers.   But, at the present time I can purchase a pre-built computer for less than I could build it.  In addition, I can have it built for me to the specifications that I want and still purchase it for less than what I could build it.  My present desktop is one that I ordered to my specifications.  As I have owned it I have been able to add upgrades.  Howeer, when I do this, I may not get the quality that I would hve if I built it myself.

E.G.  In my experience, I have found that Western Digital hard drives last longer than do certain other drives.  And I have also found that WD drives have a better warrenty than do certain others. Case in point, my desktop, built to my order, has needed to have a HD replaced.    I replaced it with a WD drive.

IN building your own computer, you haves to understand that everything has to match.  The memory (hard drive, CPU, etc.) that you put on one mother-board may not work in another mother-board.

1) Clearly decide on exactly what you want to put in your computer--USB, Firewire ports, the operating characteristics of your hard drives, optical drives and everything else.  Then select a mother board that will accommodate what you want.   This is critical.  Your mother-board has to deliver what you want.  Hard drives may only work in some mother boards--unless you use other means to adapt them.  Memory will generally only work in mother boards designed for that type of memory.  If you decide that you want two hard drives, two optical drives, a card reader and both USB-3 and Firewire ports, you will have to select a mother board that will give you all of those.

2) Video is a large issue.  You will have large decisions to make as to the quality of the video that you want.  This will effect both the monitor that you purchase and what you purchase to put on your mother board that will supply an image to your monitor.  Some devices that you will put on your motherboard will consume two slots.  If so you have to have them available and understand whether or not that will limit you in other ways.

3) Once you have decided on your mother board, you will need to decide on a case.  Some mother boards will not f it in  come cases.  Your mother board and you case will have to match.  The last time I built my own  computer, my case was better quality than the case that came with mu current desktop which came from a computer company.

4) You will have to purchase a power supply that is matched to both your mother board and to the power needs that you will have is you place all of the de vices in your computer that you want.  When I built my own computers I generally purchased a 400 watt power supply.  My current computer has a smaller power supply. And I have had to replace the one that came with my current desktop.

5o when I was ready to build my own computer, I generally purchased a reference book to help me to determine what I needed and to match my components so that they all worked together.  The book I generally purchased was titled UPGRADING AND REPAIRING PCs.    The latest one that I have now in my library runs for over 1,600 pages.  But, it kept me from making mistakes and I found that series to be very helpful.

IF you want to build your own, success to you.  But, do the work you will need to do to understand the issues and to put together a computer that will work together.

Edited by Gregory Matthews

Gregory

Overheating might be solved by first opening it up and blowing out any dust with a can of compressed air. Give particular attention to the grooves in the heat sinks.   Then, open the BIOS, look for fan settings, and try setting them to "Turbo."

To be an agent of creation is to serve the Creator.

• Moderators

To the informed person, the BIOS settings can be very helpful.

Overheating may be resolved by the installation of additional fans, if your mother board and case will take them.  Or by simply replacing a fan that is no longer working.  OR by never running the computer with the case open.

OF course, If you want to be above the rest and are building your own computer, you can  build a water cooled computer. 

Edited by Gregory Matthews

Gregory

JB7...

What do you think about the Surface and Surface Pro tablets?

I like them. Haven't used one myself. Intresting point though is that I belive this the first (or at least in a long time) actual computer Microsoft has manufacturered. Newest ones now have Skylake processors so pretty cool. I'd buy one given I wasn't trying to game or 3d model. But for anything else I'm sure theyre are great.

Building your own computer:  Yes, that is something that one can do.  I have built from scratch most of the computers that I have owned, other than laptop computers.   But, at the present time I can purchase a pre-built computer for less than I could build it.  In addition, I can have it built for me to the specifications that I want and still purchase it for less than what I could build it.  My present desktop is one that I ordered to my specifications.  As I have owned it I have been able to add upgrades.  Howeer, when I do this, I may not get the quality that I would hve if I built it myself.

E.G.  In my experience, I have found that Western Digital hard drives last longer than do certain other drives.  And I have also found that WD drives have a better warrenty than do certain others. Case in point, my desktop, built to my order, has needed to have a HD replaced.    I replaced it with a WD drive.

IN building your own computer, you haves to understand that everything has to match.  The memory (hard drive, CPU, etc.) that you put on one mother-board may not work in another mother-board.

1) Clearly decide on exactly what you want to put in your computer--USB, Firewire ports, the operating characteristics of your hard drives, optical drives and everything else.  Then select a mother board that will accommodate what you want.   This is critical.  Your mother-board has to deliver what you want.  Hard drives may only work in some mother boards--unless you use other means to adapt them.  Memory will generally only work in mother boards designed for that type of memory.  If you decide that you want two hard drives, two optical drives, a card reader and both USB-3 and Firewire ports, you will have to select a mother board that will give you all of those.

2) Video is a large issue.  You will have large decisions to make as to the quality of the video that you want.  This will effect both the monitor that you purchase and what you purchase to put on your mother board that will supply an image to your monitor.  Some devices that you will put on your motherboard will consume two slots.  If so you have to have them available and understand whether or not that will limit you in other ways.

3) Once you have decided on your mother board, you will need to decide on a case.  Some mother boards will not f it in  come cases.  Your mother board and you case will have to match.  The last time I built my own  computer, my case was better quality than the case that came with mu current desktop which came from a computer company.

4) You will have to purchase a power supply that is matched to both your mother board and to the power needs that you will have is you place all of the de vices in your computer that you want.  When I built my own computers I generally purchased a 400 watt power supply.  My current computer has a smaller power supply. And I have had to replace the one that came with my current desktop.

5o when I was ready to build my own computer, I generally purchased a reference book to help me to determine what I needed and to match my components so that they all worked together.  The book I generally purchased was titled UPGRADING AND REPAIRING PCs.    The latest one that I have now in my library runs for over 1,600 pages.  But, it kept me from making mistakes and I found that series to be very helpful.

IF you want to build your own, success to you.  But, do the work you will need to do to understand the issues and to put together a computer that will work together.

Where can you purchase one for less than building, meeting desired specifications?  I gave my desktop to my brother recently so I'm wanting to build a new new. I'm wanting an i3 or i5, ssd, gtx 950, 16gb ram, 64 bit WIN 10. Would like liquid cooling but not necessary :) I prefer this in a smaller form factor but ultimately I'd take a mid or full tower given a good price. I'm a habitual computer window shopper and just dont think I could find one meeting these specs pre-built for less. The above build is roughly 600 ish less if I choose to use linux.

Edited by jballew7

• Moderators

More recently I have not been able to build one for less than I could purchase.

However, my son has been able to do so.  He is a computer science student in another State.  When he needs a computer part, to include building one, he purchases from an Internet website that he has found to supply computer items at a good price and he has  more recently than I built a computer from scratch from that website.

One of the major places of computer items from which I used to purchase has gone out of business.  Further, I live in an area which previously had major computer competation.  So,  I benefited from local price wars.

However, one can still pick up good prices if one looks.  Today I purchased, the following item: 

SanDisk, Ultra USB 3.0 Flash drive, 128 GB Capacity, Up to 100 MB  per second write speed.

NOTE: The write speed is up to 10 x faster than USB 2.0.

I purchased it today from Best Buy for $30.

That was reduced from  Best Buy's regular price of $120.  

But after some discussion with them, they agreed to sell it to me for $30.

Gregory

More recently I have not been able to build one for less than I could purchase.

However, my son has been able to do so.  He is a computer science student in another State.  When he needs a computer part, to include building one, he purchases from an Internet website that he has found to supply computer items at a good price and he has  more recently than I built a computer from scratch from that website.

One of the major places of computer items from which I used to purchase has gone out of business.  Further, I live in an area which previously had major computer competation.  So,  I benefited from local price wars.

However, one can still pick up good prices if one looks.  Today I purchased, the following item:

SanDisk, Ultra USB 3.0 Flash drive, 128 GB Capacity, Up to 100 MB  per second write speed.

NOTE: The write speed is up to 10 x faster than USB 2.0.

I purchased it today from Best Buy for $30.

That was reduced from  Best Buy's regular price of $120. 

But after some discussion with them, they agreed to sell it to me for $30.

Nice buy, I'm amazed how big flash drives have grown in the past few years. I recently switched my major from nursing to computer science, love computers. I hope the best for your son. I don't have any "techy" stores around me, only a best buy and Wal-Mart, so I have to buy online. I mainly choose Newegg.com or Amazon.

• Moderators

Your question has stimulated my  thinking.  Look for my post with the title of "Travel Tips--Hotels."

Gregory

Your question has stimulated my  thinking.  Look for my post with the title of "Travel Tips--Hotels."

I can't find it :( is this a future post? I typed, "Travel Tips--Hotels" into the search bar with no luck

just found it :)

Edited by jballew7