ClubAdventist is back!

Kim Davis (County Clerk Refuses to Issue Marriage License to Gay Couple)

Jessie-Jess

Forgotten in this is that this clerk was in the job before gay marriage and they changed the rules of the job on her. She did not hire in with the idea that she was opposed to gay marriage. So, it is up to the government, as it was a government job, to accommodate her somewhere else. I am sure that if they transferred her to the Dept of Motor Vehicles that she would issue drivers licenses to gay people.  I believe that in other matters of religious conscience people have had to be accommodated. Can we get some common sense here somewhere?!

• Like 1

>>>Texts in blue type are quotes<<<

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

--Shakespeare from Hamlet

Bill Liversidge Seminars

The Emergent Church and the Invasion of Spiritualism

We are losing our religious liberties. Did you watch my video where I read that shocking news article? It was suggested that non-profit organizations (including churches) that do not accept this new ordinance by the government permitting such marriages lose their non-profit status. 

It's time to wake up. The issue isn't what Kim Davis is doing. The issue is what the government is doing.

And I'm saying she should be asked to resign or allowed to resign as opposed to facing a fine or imprisonment. I'm saying it would be more reasonable for the government to simply fire her than arrest her. 

If a muslim (or an Adventist) refuses to handle pork or sell cigarettes, for example, I'm sure they're more likely to just get fired, but this lady might be fined and even sent to jail. See the difference? 

Edited by Jessie-Jess

• Members

Statement of Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis

http://www.lc.org/index.cfm?PID=14102&AlertID=1965

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Rules of commerce, government change all the time, no issue. She refuses to quit. She doesn't to do anything different. She wants her views forced on others. 

This is not about religious liberty for her, but rather for everyone else/. We have separation of church and state for a reason of freedom for everyone, not just for those few. 

The common sense needs to be on her part and for those that think religious freedom in America is being endangered by not accommodating her when she refuses those accommodations

Talk about reality!!. 

Edited by CoAspen

• Members

You make some really good points CoAspen

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Moderators

Photodude:  She is an elected official.  Simply transferring her is not part of the equation..

Jessie:  She is an elected official.  She can not simply be fired.  However, if she  is convicted of a crime, sent to jail for refusal to obey the order of a judge, etc.  then they may be able to fire her.

Gregory

Photodude:  She is an elected official.  Simply transferring her is not part of the equation..

Mea culpa. I know she had been an employee, but learned she did win an election. 

>>>Texts in blue type are quotes<<<

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

--Shakespeare from Hamlet

Bill Liversidge Seminars

The Emergent Church and the Invasion of Spiritualism

New York Times...

Below are some of the questions people are asking most frequently about her case, and some answers.

1. Where does Kim Davis’s case stand?

A Federal District Court judge and a Federal Court of Appeals both ruled against Ms. Davis. She appealed to the Supreme Court and asked it to stay – put on hold – the lower court rulings until it decides whether to take her case. On Monday night, the Supreme Court refused that request, leaving her out of legal options for now.

2. So what happens next?

The District Court judge, David L. Bunning, has set a hearing for Thursday on whether to find Ms. Davis in contempt of court. He could levy fines against her as long as she continues to refuse to issue marriage licenses. He also has the power to jail her for contempt, but the plaintiffs in the case against her are not asking for that.

3. Doesn’t Ms. Davis’s freedom of religion come into play?

The federal courts do not think so. “The state is not asking her to condone same-sex unions on moral or religious grounds, nor is it restricting her from engaging in a variety of religious activities,” Judge Bunning wrote last month. “Her religious convictions cannot excuse her from performing the duties she took an oath to perform.”

4. Is Ms. Davis the only official still refusing licenses?

No, but the number is shrinking. Gov. Steven L. Beshear said that three of Kentucky’s 120 county clerks were still not issuing licenses, though the other two have not drawn as much attention as Ms. Davis. The broadest resistance may be in Alabama, where the chief justice of the State Supreme Court has encouraged judges to defy the United States Supreme Court on the issue, and at least 11 probate judges are refusing to grant licenses.

5. Can she be fired?

In a sense, yes, but it is unlikely to happen, and it would take awhile. The county clerk is an elected official, and she cannot be removed from office by any local officials, or by any state official acting alone. She can be ousted by the State Legislature, but that is an extremely rare occurrence, and neither the law nor court rulings offer much guidance on what constitutes grounds for removal. In a conservative state, Ms. Davis is likely to find considerable support among lawmakers.

The State House, where Democrats outnumber Republicans, 54 to 46, could impeach her – akin to an indictment – by a simple majority vote. The Senate, which Republicans control, 27 to 11, would try her, and a conviction would require a two-thirds vote. Mr. Beshear has said he would not call a special legislative session, so any impeachment bid would have to wait until the Legislature convenes again in January.

6. Is there any other way to remove her?

Yes, but it would not be easy. She could be removed if she were convicted of a crime, and some of her critics have said she should be charged with official misconduct, a misdemeanor. The county attorney, citing a conflict of interest, referred that question to the office of the state attorney general, Jack Conway. Mr. Conway, a Democrat running for governor, is unlikely to relish having that political grenade handed to him.

7. Is there any other way out of this bind, short of acquiescence by Ms. Davis?

Yes, but it would require a change in state law. Mr. Beshear has said he will not call a special legislative session to address the matter, so it will have to wait until next year, when there is a new governor. There are a number of approaches that might get around objections like that of Ms. Davis. Marriage licenses could be issued by a different or broader set of local or state officials, for example.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

I think she is a hypocrite!  Pick and choose.  Did God say one may marry FOUR times? She has!

gay_wedding_offended_refrence__n.thumb.j

lol!

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

.... and ....uhh.....Kim  Davis looks like a beleaguered Hypocrite from the News Footage. We all are hypocrites.

BTW hi! whbae! thanku for sayin that

I saw on the News, that Kim Davies  has been married four times. Twice  with the same man. ( i got a Bible study years ago about its against GOD to marry and divorce and marry same man again ..Never followed that scripture journey). And I never met a SDA Christian who did not Cherry Pick.

And i saw a  MEME that talked about 4th Divorce .. but..I didn't know what to think. It was too SNARKY also to post here.

Almost posted that but this MEME made me chuckle. ^

I wrote about a Facet of God's Love that shows Such a Scandalous Grace. This Kim Davis Relies on that Facet Of LOVE as we all here.

http://clubadventist.com/forums/topic/62910-a-god-of-concessions-divorce-etclistislong/

I know an old lady in the Medical Work who has been Married 7 times who even spoke on 3ABN  ..interviewed by Mollie Steenson (.  ..uhh not about the marriages but about the Medical Work).

I knew husband number six and heard of the 7th after burying him.

She too is relying on This Facet of LOVE we don't realize fully.

teehee

Edited by GayatfootofCross

For all Eternity God waited in anticipation for  You  to show up to give You a Message - YOUR INCLUDED !!! { a merry dance }?️‍?

" If you tarry 'til you're better
You will never come at all "   .. "I Will Rise" by the late great saved  Glen Campbell

If your picture of God is starting to feel too good to be true, you're starting to move in the right direction. :candle:

"My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
The more I have, for both are infinite."

Romeo and Juliet

• Moderators

A few weeks ago I preached a two sermon series on gay marriage. The first sermon was to remind the heterosexuals about what God says about marriage. I'm convicted that we are where we are because heterosexuals have severely damaged the institution of marriage. This woman is ridiculous and has no credibility. She should save her energy and seek to preserve her own 4th marriage.

Edited by lazarus
  • Like 2

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

gay_wedding_offended_refrence__n.thumb.j

lol!

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

.... and ....uhh.....Kim  Davis looks like a beleaguered Hypocrite from the News Footage. We all are hypocrites.

BTW hi! whbae! thanku for sayin that

I saw on the News, that Kim Davies  has been married four times. Twice  with the same man. ( i got a Bible study years ago about its against GOD to marry and divorce and marry same man again ..Never followed that scripture journey). And I never met a SDA Christian who did not Cherry Pick.

And i saw a  MEME that talked about 4th Divorce .. but..I didn't know what to think. It was too SNARKY also to post here.

Almost posted that but this MEME made me chuckle. ^

I wrote about a Facet of God's Love that shows Such a Scandalous Grace. This Kim Davis Relies on that Facet Of LOVE as we all here.

http://clubadventist.com/forums/topic/62910-a-god-of-concessions-divorce-etclistislong/

I know an old lady in the Medical Work who has been Married 7 times who even spoke on 3ABN  ..interviewed by Mollie Steenson (.  ..uhh not about the marriages but about the Medical Work).

I knew husband number six and heard of the 7th after burying him.

She too is relying on This Facet of LOVE we don't realize fully.

teehee

Amazing the "Do Not Judge Segment of C/A . If you read of her four marriages you probably just forgot that she has recently become a christian. Obviously as long as she is opposed to gay marriage the often repeated story of the woman caught in adultery does not apply to her.I wonder does the part of that story where Jesus told those to cast the first stone if they had not sinned apply to anyone here? BTW, pointing to her four divorces will not be a very effective answer standing before Jesus with a  gay partner just as for a liar,thief etc

Beyond a doubt this woman should have resigned.

For you or anyone to think so highly of yourself and your position before God that if she sought forgiveness and changed her life you cannot accept it is pathetic

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

A few weeks ago I preached a two sermon series on gay marriage. The first sermon was to remind the hetrosexuals about what God says about marriage. I'm convicted that we are where we are because hetrosexuals have severely damaged the instution of marriage. This woman is rediculous and has no credibility. She should save her energy and seek to preserve her own 4th marriage.

So hetrosexual divorce has created the homosexual and demand for gay marriage?

I'm convicted that we are where we are because hetrosexuals have severely damaged the instution of marriage.

An interesting statement. O f course there will be a failure to understand what you are saying and put a spin on it that you are not saying.

I think it could also be said that we should clean up our own houses before seeking to talk about the dirt in others.

An interesting statement. O f course there will be a failure to understand what you are saying and put a spin on it that you are not saying.

I think it could also be said that we should clean up our own houses before seeking to talk about the dirt in others.

So until your own house is spotless you should not hold any conviction and act on it?  Obviously the rate of hetrosexual divorce has weakened the institution of marriage. That has what to do with gay marriage?

• Members

who might God be happier with:  a gay married couple committed to each other and their family, or a heterosexual couple who is dysfunctional and fights all the time?

(not saying gay couples cannot be dysfunctional, and not saying heterosexual couples cannot be committed to each other)

• Like 1

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

From what I read my guess is neither.Why would He decide someone's salvation based on what sin makes Him happier? The sin of that wonderful gay couple is judged by God without reference to the couple that fights

• Members

nobody is saying that God decides someone's salvation based on which "sin" a person commits... 

But I imagine there's going to be a lot of people in heaven who were gay on earth... to the chagrin of many...

• Like 1

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Moderators

What should be noted is that conservative politicians say very little about being in long term, stable, committed heterosexual relationships. This is for obvious reasons. To jump up and down about gay marriage and ignore heterosexual divorce is called hypocrisy. Both undermine marriage as God intended. My desire is for a balanced view on these issues rather than one driven by political expediency.

• Like 1

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

Very interesting but that is not what I asked.

This involves much more than Muslims but to make it easier I will use them and their religious belief or at least what was stated as their religious belief. Accepting positions,knowing that position requires you to handle products you feel are forbidden by the Muslim religion. Once employed you refuse to perform any part of the job you were hired for that required handling the products you felt were prohibited because of you religious belief. When threatened with termination you start claiming discrimination and threaten to sue.  To avoid the negative impact of discrimination publicity the employer caves ,extends the accommodation  rule beyond recognition. Of course then encountering push back from other employee's. Had this been your regular white christian employee,omitting some very crucial information at time of hire it would have been out the door and publicity be hanged. 

If this woman refusing to provide a gay marriage license would they have suddenly found they could accommodate the Muslim religious beliefs. We have DMV accommodating Muslim religious belief for having pictures taken for a drivers licence. Faces covered,tell me what the picture proves

Edited by Tom Wetmore
Fixed formatting errors...

I think she is a hypocrite!  Pick and choose.  Did God say one may marry FOUR times? She has!

Doesn't matter what God said. Just ask those that back gay marriage. God also had something to say about repentance. Perhaps that doesn't fit with your judgment of this woman. From what I have read she became a christian not that long ago and changed her lifestyle. Of course where gay marriage is concerned if you are convicted it is wrong better make blame sure you "have a clean house"

Notice the name calling and judgments are coming from the Do Not Judge crowd. She didn't call anyone names,hypocrite or otherwise. She wasn't calling God's judgment down on them.She simply said it is against her religious beliefs.Sinner that I am sure she is, would you  allow her religious convictions even tho she has committed sins herself.

Kentucky Clerk Fighting Gay Marriage Has Wed Four Times

A fellow gay marriage-resisting county clerk says 'that's forgivable.'

Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis, right, is pictured at her office in Morehead, Ky., on Tuesday.

Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis, right, is pictured at her office in Morehead, Ky., on Tuesday.

+ More
  •  
  •  
  •  

The Kentucky county clerk facing potentially stiff penalties for refusing to issue same-sex marriage licenses has been married four times, raising questions of hypocrisy and selective application of the Bible to her life. 

The marriages are documented in court records obtained by U.S. News, which show that Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis divorced three times, first in 1994, then 2006 and again in 2008.

She gave birth to twins five months after divorcing her first husband. They were fathered by her third husband but adopted by her second. Davis worked at the clerk's office at the time of each divorce and has since remarried.

Davis has described her desire to strictly adhere to the Bible in stark terms and thus far has shown no sign of bending to court orders on same-sex marriage. She said Tuesday she fears going to hell for violating "a central teaching" of the Bible if she complies with the orders.

Davis' struggle to exempt herself from the Supreme Court's June decision legalizing same-sex marriage has excited some Christian conservatives but legally has proven futile: The Supreme Court refused her request Monday that the justices intervene, and a federal judge will decide Thursday whether to hold her in contempt.

Davis’ divorce records, in the meantime, are a “popular file” at the local courthouse, a woman who answered the phone tells U.S. News, as bloggers and social media users titter with accusations of hypocrisy.

The matter first attracted public attention in July, when WKYT-TV reporter Victor Puente made a passing on-air reference to the fact that Davis’ latest marriage certificate shows she was married four times. Davis’ office stores that document. 

Davis did not respond to an emailed request for comment, and her office’s phone line was busy throughout the day Tuesday.

The leader of the organization providing her legal representation, Mat Staver of Liberty Counsel, says he’s not sure precisely how many husbands Davis has had, but that it's not relevant.

“I know she was married more than once – I’ve heard three [times],” he says. “It’s a matter of fact that she’s been married multiple times.”

Staver says “it’s not really relevant, it’s something that happened in her past” and that her conversion to Christianity about four years ago wiped her slate clean. “It’s something that’s not relevant to the issue at hand,” he says. “She was 180 degrees changed.”

Same-Sex Marriage Standoff Continues
KOB TV

25163327.jpg?t=1441189140

In a Tuesday statement released by Liberty Counsel, Davis admitted she had lived an imperfect life, but insisted her current beliefs are sincere. 

“It is not a light issue for me,” she said. “It is a heaven or hell decision.”

Three other Kentucky county clerks have expressed opposition to facilitating same-sex marriages, and one of them says Davis’ divorces in no way diminish her credibility.

Casey County Clerk Casey Davis, who is not related to Kim Davis, tells U.S. News he believes there’s a difference between getting a divorce and then repenting and living in a same-sex relationship.

“I don’t have any problem with that whatever, how she was before. If the Lord can forgive her, surely I can,” he says. “That’s something that’s forgivable just like any other sin, but if you continue in it and live in it, there’s a grave danger in that.”

Casey Davis says he wasn’t personally aware Kim Davis had been divorced and that he has no desire to speak with her about that. “You know this, people will say everything and all this stuff, they want to bring the worst out in the best of people. Obviously it’s human nature. I don’t like it and no one should,” he says.

The Casey County clerk currently is riding a bicycle across Kentucky to raise attention to the issue and wants Democratic Gov. Steve Beshear to call a special session of the state legislature to pass a law allowing local clerks to play no role officiating marriages and make their role mere record keeping.

Staver says other possible avenues include the state centralizing marriage issuance or allowing marriages to be performed without attaching the names of county clerks.

But there’s no sign that will happen, and Staver acknowledges it's impossible for clerks to hold out indefinitely against ruinous fines given for contempt.

The American Civil Liberties Union, which is advocating on behalf of same-sex couples denied marriage licenses by Kim Davis' office, is asking for fines significant enough to compel compliance.

Staver says supportive donors likely can extend Davis' resistance for at least some amount of time if fines are ordered Thursday.

Jail is also a possible tool to compel either her compliance or resignation.

“We are not asking that she go to jail, and nobody wants her to go to jail. We simply want her to do her job and follow the rule of law," says Heather Weaver, an ACLU attorney working on the case.

Weaver says she knows nothing about Davis' personal life.

Edited by GayatfootofCross

For all Eternity God waited in anticipation for  You  to show up to give You a Message - YOUR INCLUDED !!! { a merry dance }?️‍?

You will never come at all "   .. "I Will Rise" by the late great saved  Glen Campbell

If your picture of God is starting to feel too good to be true, you're starting to move in the right direction. :candle:

Romeo and Juliet

same source of US NEWS :) http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/09/03/kentucky-clerk-kim-davis-jailed-for-contempt?int=a6f909 

pray for her

Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis Jailed for Contempt

Davis is refusing to comply with federal court orders that she issue marriage licenses.

The Associated Press

Edgar Orea, left, and Dwayne D. Beebe-Franqui argue on the steps of the Carl D. Perkins Federal Building in Ashland, Ky., on Thursday.

By Steven Nelson + More
  •  
  •  
  •  

The Kentucky county clerk who made herself a national celebrity by refusing to issue same-sex marriage licenses was jailed Thursday for contempt of court.

Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis was taken into custody by U.S. marshals, according to reporters on the scene.

In sending her to jail, U.S. District Judge David Bunning ignored the American Civil Liberties Union's request that Davis be fined to compel compliance with orders that she issue marriage licenses.

ACLU attorney Heather Weaver, who is working on the case, said there was testimony about fundraising efforts on Davis' behalf, apparently a factor in the judge's decision not to impose financial penalties. 

"We didn't ask the court to incarcerate her. ... He did what he thought was necessary," Weaver says.

Earlier this week, Weaver bristled at the notion that Davis could become a martyr for the anti-same-sex marriage movement.

“It's not making someone a martyr to ask them to do their job and follow the law,” she said.

But Davis’ supporters are certain to view things differently.

The Associated Press
Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., a candidate for the GOP presidential nomination, condemned her imprisonment moments after it happened.

Paul told CNN the penalty was “a huge step back, even for those who want to redefine marriage.”

Three other county clerks in Kentucky have resisted implementation of the U.S. Supreme Court’s June decision legalizing same-sex marriage nationwide.

One of the resisters, Casey County Clerk Casey Davis – no relation to Kim Davis, told U.S. News on Tuesday he would be willing to jail rather than issue such license, though he hasn’t yet been sued to denying a couple a license. His county is smaller than Rowan County.

In Kentucky, it's only possible to remove county clerks by impeachment through the state legislature. Neither Kim Davis nor Casey Davis have yet indicated a willingness to resign.

U.S. News reported Tuesday that Kim Davis has been married four times. She gave birth to twins five months after divorcing her first husband. They were fathered by her third husband but adopted by her second. Davis worked at the clerk's office at the time of each divorce and has since remarried her second husband.

Davis’ supporters say she became religious about four years ago and that her new Christian faith absolves her both of her sins and allegations of hypocrisy.

It's not immediately clear where Davis will be held while in custody.

Romeo and Juliet

Kentucky Clerk Fighting Gay Marriage Has Wed Four Times

“it’s not really relevant, it’s something that happened in her past” and that her conversion to Christianity about four years ago wiped her slate clean. “It’s something that’s not relevant to the issue at hand,” he says. “She was 180 degrees changed.”

That certainly can't be true can it. Before God can forgive He needs the fallible humans to give him the go ahead.

Gay,

You have acknowledged a rather unsavory past,one you claim to have left behind. Given your condemnation of this woman for having a religious conviction that goes against the way you would like to live because of an unsavory past,How is it that you don't feel compelled to remain silent?

Why can God forgive your past and it isn't enough that He has forgiven her. With your past every religious conviction you claim to hold should be examined and dismissed

What is the meaning of hypocrite again?