ClubAdventist is back!

Failure of 'Signs'

Bravus

• Moderators

The supermoon eclipse was a sign. The Pope addressing Congress was a sign. The Pope addressing the UN General Assembly was a sign.

If none of them turn out to presage any change at all, what then?

Were they not signs? Were those who proclaimed them mistaken?

My guess is that none of them will own up and say so: they'll quietly let them slip away, while feverishly pointing to the *next* sign.

Truth is important

• Administrators

Everything is a sign of something...  To the point that nothing means anything.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

In my short Lifetime there has been a number of times when the End of the World is coming upon us.

When JFK was elected.

When the free love and drug culture was happening of the 60's was blossoming (Woodstock,Kent State, Men with Long Hair etc)

When Jimmy Carter was elected as POTUS (being a born again Christian and blah blah )

When Pope John Paul 1st died.

When Pope John Paul 2nd came on.

When 1988 was looming (Hal Lindesy ..The Late Great Planet Earth prediction)

Various theories  from the Jubilee Calender (1996?) to  Harold Camping twice setting dates

Y2K

Mayan Calendar 2012

. and Now

Every Single time the Pope visited us I would hear about it.

Almost like panic and guilting others for not Jumping on the Bandwagon.

It seemed like there was new Books and Tapes and CD's every time Being made and distributed in our Churches.

http://www.usccb.org/about/leadership/holy-see/francis/papal-visit-2015/history-papal-visits-to-united-states.cfm

Amen He is coming  and Soon but This is not what it supposed to look like before it Happens.

..its a little something called JOY!

i put up something directly related to this awhile back

http://clubadventist.com/forums/topic/63010-cant-get-saved-thru-our-lizard-brain/

Edited by Tom Wetmore
Removed quoted material...

For all Eternity God waited in anticipation for  You  to show up to give You a Message - YOUR INCLUDED !!! { a merry dance }?️‍?

" If you tarry 'til you're better
You will never come at all "   .. "I Will Rise" by the late great saved  Glen Campbell

If your picture of God is starting to feel too good to be true, you're starting to move in the right direction. :candle:

"My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
The more I have, for both are infinite."

Romeo and Juliet

People look for signs because it is easier than just believing what Christ said......no one knows, not even God.

Sign watching has been the bane of many parts of christianity...and before in ancient history.

Remember the OT story about the individual wanting a sign indicating that God had chosen him to lead in battle and that they would win? He wanted just one more sign, one more sign......

Live life and believe in the life you live, much more productive and less fearful.

• Like 2

John Hagee wrote a book "Four blood moons - Something is about to change"

I did not want to buy the book but I Googled that he believes something significant will happen to the land of Israel within a year of these eclipses.  I had to laugh at how unspecific these predictions were - but I am sure he had the last laugh - all the way to the bank.

• Like 3

Earlier this year I was visiting a Christian friend and saw he had that book.. And I have a big mouth and it slipped out before I could stop. "Why do you have a book by this guy?  This is nonsense"

..err something like that. I could tell he didn't like what I said. I almost said worse. Like he is a fraud and the vibes I get thru his TV show is nuthin good.

So for the last so many months.. I would hear him and just listen. I already made my point. Then Yesterday I pounced BIG TIME! And he realizes now it was all dribble.

That book flew off the Christian book stores like candy and made John Hagee even more more money than we can imagine.

Edited by Tom Wetmore
Removed quoted material...

For all Eternity God waited in anticipation for  You  to show up to give You a Message - YOUR INCLUDED !!! { a merry dance }?️‍?

You will never come at all "   .. "I Will Rise" by the late great saved  Glen Campbell

If your picture of God is starting to feel too good to be true, you're starting to move in the right direction. :candle:

Romeo and Juliet

• Administrators

God gave many signs of his power and presence to Israel and to Egypt in the story of the Exodus.  Those signs and miracles never created faith.  All through the desert Journey sings attended them and they failed grossly to have faith at the Jordan.  Faith was a result of knowing Gods ways, not his actions.

You can watch someone and see what they do and not know them inside.  They knew God had power but this alone did not convey His love.  I do have concern for how my so very human heart struggles so much to come to know the Love of God.

Israel did have the wonder working God, but it was a God they did not know.  So they demanded signs from Jesus, but Jesus knew it would never bring divine love into their hearts to have more miracles and signs.

The kingdom of God comes with signs but  they happen within not  with great outward show... then  those signs work out gently in the life as outward evidence that God is there...

• Like 2

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

I am glad you made your point, and maybe made one Hagee follower more cautious next time.

I Googled how many lunar eclipses can be seen from Jerusalem each year to find out how rare eclipses are.  Turns out there are lunar eclipses almost every year, so its been a sign every year since Christ died.  He tried to make it more special by saying a tetrad of eclipses on the Jewish holydays and threw in a supermoon.  So I searched my concordance for tetrad and eclipses and struck a blank.

That did not stop me staying up to watch the eclipse - it was very pretty.  I cannot say that if you have seen one you have seen them all, but to the naked eye, eclipses all look pretty similar.

Edited by Tom Wetmore
No quote zone...
  • Like 1

• Moderators

When I was a child, we were taught in Adventist school that the 1733 "falling of the stars" was a sign that Christ's return was very near.   Nowadays we have news of various meteorite showers, frequently.  Some of them are named, others are not.   If one knows where and when to look, one can see meteorite showers just as thick and plentiful as the 1733 shower.  

This still may be a sign of the last days of this earth's history; it's just one of many, however. 

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

Yes falling stars or a meteorite shower would be a much more significant sign for me.  The dust from a very thick shower could turn the moon to blood (red) AND at the same time turn the sun to sackcloth (meaning appears granular).  If that prophecy of sun to sackcloth and moon to blood were eclipses, it would have to refer to a solar and a lunar eclipse.  These are 15 days apart, not simultaneous (which the prophecy implies).  

Also Christ comes with the clouds of heaven which could refer to meteor showers or clouds of debris which accompany His return.  Also the plagues of Revelation are stuff falling from the heavens - more like meteor showers than eclipses.

Edited by Tom Wetmore
Quote removed. No quote zone...

It appears that Jesus Christ will return to Earth to rescue his followers just before the planet experiences an extinction event where human life is no longer sustainable on the planet. Massive meteoric bombardment is a strong possibility along with massive worldwide vulcanism, not to mention weapons of mass destruction unleashed by the Dark Side to kill off humankind. Something very large may come between Earth and Sun, maybe it's just the moon, but total solar eclipses can only be viewed in relatively small areas for relatively short times.

• Like 3

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

as time goes on..I see that idea more and more

Jesus comes just in time before mankind destroys itself ?

God help us all!

# all Creation groaning for more than one reason :(

Romeo and Juliet

I like your phrase "extinction event".  Are there any Doomsday Preppers out there who are preparing for this event, and if so how?

Edited by Tom Wetmore
No quoting allowed in Original Thoughts....

We might extend our lives a weee bit longer by preparing to live in seclusion off the grid for a time, but nothing can save us when the Earth is no longer inhabitable except for believing and following the teachings of Christ. Even if those who belong to the Kingdom die, yet shall they live, because it is nothing for the LORD to resurrect those who are his.

• Like 2

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

• Moderators

Pope speaking in the joint session of what was once a staunch PROTESTant America a sign that the beast's wound has been healed?  Nah!  Pope asking the EU to set aside Sunday a sign?  Nah, it was inevitable.l

PROTESTant preachers falling over themselves to be seen with the pope a sign of stretching their hands across the gulf?  Nah, we're living in different times; it was bound to happen.

As a 75 year old raised and schooled SDA I've been very aware of all sorts of warnings that signs were telling of Sunday laws right upon us.  Popes issuing decrees, without anyone asking how that could effect the laws of this land.  No one looking at what Ellen White actually wrote about the condition of the world and who the big players were to be.  Am I mistaken... did she not say that Protestant America would be the force and power that would make laws to try to govern the morals of this country? That it would be Protestant America that would be the driving force to bring about Sunday laws?  And did she not hint or even say that it would be Protestant American that was no longer Protesting that would reach across the gulf to embrace the Papacy? 

Now if it is signs you are wanting to see...what sign is clearer these days that politicians trying to act as preachers...preaching a false religion of hate, discrimination, the wealthy inheriting the earth and not the meek and mild and poor.  That all societies troubles would be over if only we had the Ten Commandments in every courthouse,city council and civic chambers, schools, Congress.  That prayer in school would make out of every student an upright citizen. All would be wonderful with the Biblical laws of the Old Testament enforced on all the land and around the world. 

Perhaps the words: Dominionism and Reconstructionism are new to you.  They shouldn't be, but I've not seen much printed about them in SDA literature except for Liberty Magazine.  Instead of getting all fired up every time a Pope writes or speaks...how about learning what the Right Wing zealots want to usher in.  They are not going to be satisfied until the government that exists now is destroyed and is replaced by a Theocracy.  Then when that happens...you can count on the fact that there will be Sunday laws. You can also count on the fact that the first people they go after will not be Sabbath believing Christians. They are going to go for the Unbeliever, Atheist, Agnostic, Liberal (oh so hated by the right wing), Humanist, Progressive citizens.

Since they won't have everything all cleaned up ready for the coming of Jesus to reign on this earth... they will go after the citizens of the world that are the "others" of different beliefs than Christians.  Ellen White says that "the whole world will be converted to their cause". So probably we could expect that rather than risk what has happened to other non-believers..they will convert.

We are told that laws regarding worship on Sunday are really going to happen very near to the time that Jesus walks out of the Temple in heaven and says it is finished.  That is the time that he gathers his angels together to come and rescue his people from the grave and from those that want to destroy the living because of their faith.   It is after ridding or converting the whole world, that they are going to go after those Christians that do not accept their doctrines... that group of stubborn Seventh day believers and those that are sympathetic to them.

• Like 3

I've stated befor that signs are not events; they simply point to potential events.  When we see a sign on the highway that says "Watch for Falling Rock", It does not mean that it is inevitable that a boulder will fall on your car.  It is meant simply to heighten your awareness of possible enhanced danger ahead.  When we see a confluence of signs coming together in a nexus, our awareness should be increased.  All these signs came and went; and nothing happened (yet).  Praise God for His mercy and patience towards us, wishing that none should perish!

Jesus said that no man knows the time of the end; but we know the signs.  IMHO, if signs come and go; I was mistaken; but be assured I will continue to watch for signs.  It is in our generations that the "real deal" will occur.

• Members

Absolutely AliAgins, signs are all around us, if we really want to see them. It wont be eclipse's, etc., that come all the time. Like you say, all this that is going on, is something I've read or heard years ago, actually coming to light before our eyes. As far as I'm concerned, I think its great, that means that Christ and the end to all this will be over finally.

Edited by Tom Wetmore
No quote zone...

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Thank you for responding so nicely!  I've heard people say that one of the reasons that they left not only the church but faith in God...was the scary "time of trouble" sermons that they heard from the pulpit or at home or school.  I've known so many people that moved to Idaho to "leave the cities" and many years later they have died or gotten old and moved back to the place they left.  My fifth grade teacher and her husband did this.  So many people afraid while there is actually a lot of work and people to influence left behind.   What I remember is how Jesus often would say, "Fear NOT."  "Look up." 

Ellen White during the later part of her life wrote that "we are living in the time of trouble"... (paraphrased)  What about the Civil War, the wars all over Europe, the 1st WW, the 2ndWW, Korean,Viet Nam, and of course in our present time the wars raging in the Middle East...what about them could not been said is a "time of trouble"?  I am not looking with fear into the future for "a time of trouble like it never was before"... I believe that I'm living in such a time.  For now our country has not suffered in the same ways that other peoples have... but, I'm sure it is coming sooner than later.  I just don't think that a clear concise message has been taught for several years.  How many homes receive Liberty Magazine?  Important stuff!

What about the beast that is roaring and now is determined to "cause the whole world" to do it's bidding and follow it's example.  We have all been taught that the USA is going to control all that happens in the world for a period of time.  How do SDA's think that is going to happen...just suddenly without warning our government is going to pass Sunday laws?  When do Adventists stop thinking that God and country are intertwined?  For some the melding of patriotism with church is so strong I wonder when it really becomes obvious what "State" is up to...that it will be too late for some. I'm afraid for some the flag and the Pledge have become idols. This is what has happened all over this country with the citizens and their "love it or leave it" mentality.

OOops... I've made too long an answer, I'm afraid.  I believe you know just what I mean.

• Like 2

In Matt 24 Christ lists a whole lot of things which are NOT signs, which folks mistake for signs, viz...

religious deception, wars, famines, pestilences, earthquakes.  Note: these are NOT signs but beginning of sorrows (vs 8).

Verses 9-14 gives the real sign - which is the persecution of the saints.  ...

Here is the answer to the disciples question as to what shall be THE SIGN of His coming and of the end of the age.

There is only one sign given by Christ as THE specific sign.

That sign is that the saints would be persecuted during The Great Tribulation (of the saints) and during this persecution they would be dragged before the authorities, and by this means the gospel shall be preached in all the world "as a witness".

Notice the legal aspect of this sign "as a witness".  In courts they are witnesses.  They are witnessing why they will not accept the Mark of the Beast or the 666 on hand or forehead.

The prosecutors will be telling them that other Christians have no problem with accepting this Mark.  Here is the deception.

There is only one real sign of the end time.  That sign is the affliction of the saints while they are preaching the Gospel as a witness.

Edited by Tom Wetmore
quoted material removed

I went to a sda school. In high school my teachers were huge! believers that we are going to be the last generation. Does anyone here belive that? That Jesus will come back in maybe 10-20-30 years? I graduated in 2010, honestly I wasn't sure I'd make it this far after listening to them. I believe He's coming soon but how soon? Obviously I know there's no definitive answer to that. My brother told me the other day that hes actually fed up that Jesus hasn't returned. His disheartenedness (is that a word lol) saddens me. 

Yeah.. I believe  we will see Jesus come very soon in my lifetime. When I was a kid the S.S. teachers told me that too. This world was never my home. God forbid I make it such.

Edited by Tom Wetmore
quoted material removed

Romeo and Juliet

Yup; I believe that, unless we see an untimely death, we will be here for the Second Coming.  I used to fear the time of trouble (I'm still concerned about it); but I prefer to look at the "they all lived happily forever" (and ever, and ever) part.

I think many "true believers" throughout the NT have expected Jesus to come in their life time.  Peter and Paul believed it.  The Waldenses believed it.  SDA Pioneers believed it.  Even if we don't expect Him to return in our lifetime, I think we all want Him to come.  Imagine how glorious it will be!

I confess to being a sign watcher (no suprise to anyone here).  If signs come and go without incident, I don't get disappointed; I thank God for His mercy and patience with us.

While I DO understand the risks of "crying wolf" a lot, I also realize the consequences of NOT bringing attention to potential signs; and being accused of not "blowing a trumpet in Zion".

Just as a sidebar, I DON'T believe that the "7 years" have yet started; and I don't believe Sunday laws will be the crisis that brings on the end times (I admit I could be mistaken).  Friday laws, maybe ...

Edited by Tom Wetmore