ClubAdventist is back!

NAD takes position on homosexuality - turning back on Biblical morals

Chief of Sinners

Pardon my hard line stance but, when a prostitute comes to church seeking direction to the way of salvation would it be appropriate to practice their craft in church while waiting for their conversion? 

Should those claim innate beastity or pedophelia orientation be accepted in the flock? When sinners come to seek salvation within the congregation should they be expected to forsake their former ways? Or should they be allowed to influence the flock.

The NAD has taken a position that will allow individual with unnatural sexual orientation to assume official roles within the church. 

Here is the position paper:  

http://www.andrews.edu/sem/statements/seminary-statement-on-homosexuality-edited-10-8-15-jm-final.pdf

Edited by Chief of Sinners

I think anyone should be able to worship in an SDA Church.  If Jesus was OK hanging out with prostitutes so am I.  I also have no problem worshiping or hanging out with gays, lesbians transgenders, etc..  No, none of these groups should practice their trade or lifestyles openly at church; and if they do, they should be warned once; and then asked to leave on the second offense.  If they are openly gay, promiscuous or otherwise "scandalous, they should not be allowed to hold office - not because they are more "evil" than anyone else; but because their activity is generally considered offensive by most members of church society; and would generally cause a scandal.

That being said, I am sure that there are many discretely gay or promiscuous people serving as pastors, elsders, SS Teachers, Board Members, and Conference administrators.  As long as their proclivites are not openly practiced; and the general church population is unaware of them, how are we to even know they are outside of the realm of societal norms?  Many sincere believers my have gay, promiscuous and/or transgender leanings (I myself have suffered from heterosexual leanings); but resist them because they believe God when He says "don't do that".

I would not support a church that celebrated gay marriage.  I wouldn't condemn them; but I would not support them.  It's one thing to accept and love all people where they are; it's a whole other animal to celebrate their sins.

• Like 3

Well since this is a brand new THREAD  topic i will copy and paste (added a few lines to update) my response last time you brought it up!

:)

I may say more!

Pardon my hard line stance but, when a prostitute comes to church seeking direction to the way of salvation would it be appropriate to practice their craft in church while waiting for their conversion? 

Should those claim innate beastity or pedophelia orientation be accepted in the flock? When sinners come to seek salvation within the congregation should they be expected to forsake their former ways? Or should they be allowed to influence the flock.

The NAD has taken a position that will allow individual with unnatural sexual orientation to assume official roles within the church. 

http://www.andrews.edu/sem/statements/seminary-statement-on-homosexuality-edited-10-8-15-jm-final.pdf

"Pardon my hard line stance but, when a prostitute comes to church seeking direction to the way of salvation would it be appropriate to practice their craft in church while waiting for their conversion?"

Don't we all "practice our craft" till converted?  :)  ..and Everybody in Church, I know is a sinner who sins and influence others.

I may use that word in the future! "CRAFT" Some don't need to practice anymore..they can do it very well like  lacing one's shoes ..and even some can teach it!

now back to topic.....

.................................................................................................................

Chief Of Sinners! and GBU and love your name!

The 21 page document  released by Andrews..uhh

“An Understanding of the Biblical View on Homosexual Practice and Pastoral Care.”

It is the right direction..(baby steps) but not there yet!

And They are not giving any specifics of

Transgender

Intersex

Queer

Asexual

They are totally left out of the Document.

The opening “homosexuality, bisexuality, and the variety of transgender identities.” Problem is sexuality and gender identity and intersex are three separate things... that require individual case by case examination and "pastoral care".

they act like they are addressing their issues as well.

That would be a NO!

The Term "pastoral care" is a very broad term and can be downright biased with fear and loathing toward the individual that can come out in all kinds of upside ways.

No real guilde lines of what "pastoral care" looks like.

Many in ministry have no real experience to handle with care the LGBTIQQAA Community.

"Pastoral Care" is even in the Title  of document!

:P

The document says “we must also be sensitive to the reality of high rates of homelessness and suicide among gay youth.” It also discusses the bullying, hate crimes, and murders of LGBT people and encourages pastors to extend pastoral care. But, how exactly? ..I mean .. Students were not allowed to raise funds to help the LGBTI youth in that VERY School of Higher Learning  only a few months ago. Helping to Block JESUS from their view.   

:(:(:(  God help us all

A big document without any real substance.Just the same old same old playing into self satisfaction that they are at least addressing this. I know I know it is trying. It needs a Gods Heart (towards my tribe) to drive this thing...  not humans.

When many humans think of the term LGBTIQQAA ..they think of sex.. When God thinks of LGTIQQAA ...HE thinks of people..like when HE thinks of you all here! HE loves and does not Condemn.

and YES they all should be welcomed into Church! Period! as  Stated in the Document!

and I might add for the LGBTIQQAA that already in the pews and positions to COME OUT!

and it says CELIBATE  can hold positions. Well that is a start. :)

All in All ...This Document is another example how our church has given up the right and Right Spirit to speak into the LGBTIQQAA hearts.

:(

..it may get there!

AMEN!

Lesbian

Gay

Bi

Trans

Intersex or Innersex

Queer

Questioning

Asexual

Ally

................................................................................................................................................

God bless you, ChiefofSinners!

:D

Edited by GayatfootofCross

For all Eternity God waited in anticipation for  You  to show up to give You a Message - YOUR INCLUDED !!! { a merry dance }?️‍?

" If you tarry 'til you're better
You will never come at all "   .. "I Will Rise" by the late great saved  Glen Campbell

If your picture of God is starting to feel too good to be true, you're starting to move in the right direction. :candle:

"My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
The more I have, for both are infinite."

Romeo and Juliet

• Administrators

Discretion is the better part of valor

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

Here is the Full article that I echoed.

Oh to be a WORDSMITH!

..............................................................................................................................

http://spectrummagazine.org/article/2015/10/15/viewpoint-adventist-seminary-has-trouble-getting-facts-straight-homosexuality-sta

Viewpoint: Adventist Seminary Has Trouble Getting Facts Straight in Homosexuality Statement

Cruz.png

In an attempt to respond to the cultural conversation on the LGBT community, the Seventh-day Adventist Theological Seminary on the campus of Andrews University published a 21-page document showing just how unfit they are to contribute to the conversation. The document, An Understanding of the Biblical View on Homosexual Practice and Pastoral Care, lacks basic understanding of human sexuality as its authors conflate sex, gender, and sexuality.

But that’s just the tip of the titanic sized iceberg that sunk this document before it even left the Seminary’s harbor. The document took six months to develop by the Seminary Dean’s Council and Faculty. It included “input from Seminary town hall meetings, Andrews University administration, the Lake Union Conference, the North American Division of Seventh-day Adventists and the Biblical Research Institute.”

Frankly, it’s embarrassing that dozens of individuals with graduate level education wrote a document which lacks basic understanding on gender and sexuality. This isn’t a critique on their non-affirming theology of same-sex relationships (which was expected). This is commentary on the fact these authors with PhDs (and a JD) could not fill in as a substitute teacher on a single Gender and Sexuality 101 class.

In the opening paragraphs, the document purports to address “homosexuality, bisexuality, and the variety of transgender identities.” Except, sexuality and gender identity are two separate things. Moreover, nowhere in the document do they actually discuss trans issues. The word transgender is haphazardly thrown in to make sure they got all the letters in the LGBT acronym.

The document discusses “homosexual practice” which–I’m assuming–means same-sex sex. I’m not sure how to “practice” homosexuality and the document doesn’t elaborate. These language issues are small but important in illuminating the lack of fluency with which its authors discuss the LGBT community.

So, the context for this document is severely lacking – and so is the content.

The document has two sections: one on the official Seventh-day Adventist interpretation on six verses that describe same-sex sex. The second section offers a pastoral approach to LGBT people.

The first section simply regurgitates the go-to scriptural understanding of same-sex sex. There is nothing there besides the same positions the Seventh-day Adventist Church have propounded time and time again. The Seventh-day Adventist Church and the Adventist Theological Seminary have yet to engage, in any official capacity, interpretations that differ from their long-standing position. That is despite the fact there are pastors both working in the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventist and at the Seminary that hold (albeit secretly) affirming positions on same-sex relationships.

This section is redundant to the past conferences and resources that have been produced by Seventh-day Adventist official organizations. There are books that debunk this position (my favorite being “Bible, Gender, Sexuality” by James Brownson), so I won’t spend time doing so here.

A more interesting question is why the Andrews University felt the need to restate their position in the first place. The answer is simple: the cultural shifts in our church regarding the LGBT community has made them feel the need to respond. Yet, they have nothing new to share so the document repackages old content.

Case in point, the second section on pastoral care. This section doesn’t actually provide tangible examples of pastoral care. There are a lot of words but no actual content.

The entire section argues that pastors need to bring “behavioral change” to make LGBT people celibate, but be loving at the same time. There’s lots of talk of grace and love and sensitivity towards LGBT people. However, there are no tangible suggestions for how one practically does so. This is in part due to the fact that the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists hasn’t provided examples either. The Seminary can’t go and propose ideas that the GC hasn’t already provided.

For instance, the document says “we must also be sensitive to the reality of high rates of homelessness and suicide among gay youth.” It also discusses the bullying, hate crimes, and murders of LGBT people and encourages pastors to extend pastoral care. But, how exactly? If my time at Andrews University taught me anything it’s that even just listening to LGBT stories from LGBT students is scandalous. And LGBT students just this last year weren’t allowed to fund raise for LGBT homeless youth – a decision many in the Seminary co-signed.

Indeed, there were no practical examples of pastoral care besides encouragement to lead all people attracted to the same gender to lead a celibate life.

The lack of tangible examples of pastoral care points to the conflict in the Seventh-day Adventist church. Dozens upon dozens of former “ex-gay” leaders coming out and saying the practice not only doesn’t work but is harmful. Yet, it’s still not been fully condemned in the church as many Seventh-day Adventist leaders promote it. Even the document holds out hope for change despite reparative therapy being dangerous to LGBT people. 

There is severe cognitive dissonance when the very rhetoric used in the first 15 pages condemning same-sex relationships is what drives many of the disparities the document admits LGBT people face. How is one supposed to address an epidemic – be it homelessness, bullying, or spiritual abuse – that they have caused in the first place?

The Andrews University Seminary is ill equipped to address the LGBT community themselves let alone be giving any advice.

For all Eternity God waited in anticipation for  You  to show up to give You a Message - YOUR INCLUDED !!! { a merry dance }?️‍?

You will never come at all "   .. "I Will Rise" by the late great saved  Glen Campbell

If your picture of God is starting to feel too good to be true, you're starting to move in the right direction. :candle:

Romeo and Juliet

BTW.. I don't  agree with every single  minutia of his well understood points..but identify with the frustration completely.

Baby steps Baby steps.

Edited by GayatfootofCross

Romeo and Juliet

• Administrators

Several points of correction are in order.  This is not a position taken by NAD. That is clear from the title of the paper.  It is from the seminary at Andrews Universtiy.  Andrews University is a General Conference institution, and not an instution of the North American Division.  Yes it is located in North America.  But so is the General Conference itself.  But strictly speaking this is not a position paper of the General Conference either, but just as it says, a position paper of the Seminary.

That said, your characterization of and reaction to the paper are puzzling and unfounded.  I really don't see how you get any of what you have said for the paper, either directly or even by implication.

• Like 2

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Tom Wetmore pinned this topic

Well since this is a brand new THREAD  topic i will copy and paste (added a few lines to update) my response last time you brought it up!

..and Everybody in Church, I know is a sinner who sins and influence others.

The statement indicates the belief the Word does not accurately describe God's power strong enough to overrule the power of the god of this world.

25Now to him who is able to establish you in accordance with my gospel, the message I proclaim about Jesus Christ, in keeping with the revelation of the mystery hidden for long ages past, 26but now revealed and made known through the prophetic writings by the command of the eternal God....

24Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, 25To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

Romans 16

18And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest, but to those who were disobedient? 19So we see that they were not able to enter because of unbelief.....Hebrews 3

God is Love!  Jesus saves!  :D

Lift Jesus up!!

• Moderators

What did Jesus say are "the weightier matter of the Law"? 

Hint: this ain't it.

Getting in tune with Him on what is most important is the first step.

• Like 2

Truth is important

The statement indicates the belief the Word does not accurately describe God's power strong enough to overrule the power of the god of this world.

25Now to him who is able to establish you in accordance with my gospel, the message I proclaim about Jesus Christ, in keeping with the revelation of the mystery hidden for long ages past, 26but now revealed and made known through the prophetic writings by the command of the eternal God....

24Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, 25To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

Romans 16

18And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest, but to those who were disobedient? 19So we see that they were not able to enter because of unbelief.....Hebrews 3

God is Love!  Jesus saves!  :D

" ..and Everybody in Church, I know is a sinner who sins and influence others. " -GAYatfootofCROSS

my statement indicates All have fallen short. Romans 3:23

But there are too many who have a sin scale who compare and judge others worse than theirs. and that is complete folly  Luke 18:9-14

And Amen Grace is greater than all our sin.   Jude 24,25 (naming the Book Reference you left accidentally out :) )

Nothing I said disagrees with God's Word. Psalms 119:105

"take a short look at your sin..(don't compare others sins with yours)... And take a long long LOOK AT JESUS!" Jack Blanco.. my thought injected in parenthesis

The Author of "THE CLEAR WORD"

The Religious People who killed GOD did not like JESUS eating and drinking (FELLOW SHIPPING) with the SINNERS ... Math 11:19, Luke 7:34,39

I notice it still pisses people off. Luke 15:28-30

which may be seen in the OP ..or not

and God bless you! LifeHiscost. :)

for letting me clarify my posts.

:D

Romeo and Juliet

• Tom Wetmore unpinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...

well now NAD is giving it's two cents...

finally!

remember ... Baby Steps!

Why the North American Division Sexuality Statement is a Disappointment

Romeo and Juliet

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brynn-tannehill/the-truth-about-transgend_b_8564834.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000050

The Truth About Transgender Suicide

Posted: Updated:
SUICIDE
Print

For this year's transgender awareness week I wanted to write about something that the transgender community and its allies are often afraid to discuss. Those who want to drive transgender people into the closet, legislate against us, and stigmatize us, talk about all the time in order further marginalize us. It is literally a matter of life and death.

It is suicide.

People know that transgender people are at a higher risk of suicide, but why this risk is higher is often not understood by the public, or misused by people who wish us further harm. The statistic that 40% of transgender people have attempted suicide is used all the time to justify all sorts of things that have absolutely zero basis in science.

Why transgender people are at risk is something that has actually been studied in great detail by psychologists and sociologists. They have found many of the same factors increase risk across multiple peer reviewed studies.

Rejection by friends and family increases suicide risk

Transgender people who are rejected by their families or lack social support are much more likely to both consider suicide, and to attempt it. Conversely, those with strong support were 82% less likely to attempt suicide than those without support, according to one recent study. Another study showed that transgender youth whose parents reject their gender identity are 13 times more likely to attempt suicide than transgender youth who are supported by their parents.

Discrimination increases suicide risk

Transgender people in states without LGBT legal protections are at higher risk of suicide. Other studies have found that transgender people who have been discriminated against are at a higher risk of suicide. What makes this worse is that discrimination against transgender people in health care, employment, accommodations, and housing is very common. Even in places with legal protections for transgender people, like Washington D.C., cultural bias and discrimination remains.

Physical abuse increases suicide risk

Transgender people who have been physically or sexually abused because they are transgender are at a higher risk of suicide. As the number of abusive incidents increases, the more likely the person is to have attempted suicide. The amount of abuse is also associated with the number of time suicide has been attempted. Again, studies on how often transgender people are assaulted show shockingly high levels of violence.

Being seen as transgender or gender non-conforming increases suicide risk

People who are seen as transgender or gender non-conforming are more likely to have attempted suicide. Also, people who have had access to surgery which allows them to "pass," such as facial feminization surgery, report qualities of life not significantly different from the general population. This is perhaps the most damning study, since it strongly suggests that when transgender people are treated the same as cisgender (non-transgender) people, the risk of suicide becomes no different than for anyone else.

Internalized transphobia increases suicide risk

Internalized transphobia is when a transgender individual applies negative messages about transgender people in general to themselves. It's not hard to find such messages in our culture, especially since a multi-million dollar smear campaign in Houston successfully convinced an uninformed populace that transgender people should be treated like rapists and pedophiles. When transgender people start applying such messages to themselves, the suicide attempt rate skyrockets.

Intersecting minority identities increases suicide risk

Multiple studies have found that transgender people of color are at higher risk of suicide than white transgender people. This is a result of the combined effects of racial and gender identity discrimination.

Notice a pattern here? None of these risks for suicide are about being transgender. They're about what is being done to transgender people. And therein lies the rub.

There's nothing inherently wrong with being transgender .

There is something horribly, horribly wrong with the way we as a culture treat transgender people.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has addressed the issue of suicide in LGBT populations, and reached the same conclusions on the actual causes of suicide in the transgender community:

"Suicidal behaviors in LGBT populations appear to be related to "minority stress", which stems from the cultural and social prejudice attached to minority sexual orientation and gender identity. This stress includes individual experiences of prejudice or discrimination, such as family rejection, harassment, bullying, violence, and victimization. Increasingly recognized as an aspect of minority stress is "institutional discrimination" resulting from laws and public policies that create inequities or omit LGBT people from benefits and protections afforded others. Individual and institutional discrimination have been found to be associated with social isolation, low self-esteem, negative sexual/gender identity, and depression, anxiety, and other mental disorders. These negative outcomes, rather than minority sexual orientation or gender identity per se, appear to be the key risk factors for LGBT suicidal ideation and behavior."

This doesn't change the fact that people who push for discrimination against transgender misuse studies, and use "experts" who are proponents of reparative therapy for all LGBT people, and haven't seen a transgender patient in 35 years. Their so-called logic is that if people weren't transgender and didn't transition, they wouldn't commit suicide. This is the intellectual equivalent of suggesting we should prevent rape by making women wear burqas, chastity belts, and never letting them leave the house.

Their pray-away-the-trans "solutions" to bringing down the suicide rate in the transgender community are almost a guarantee of more suicides. Studies show religious counseling increases the suicide rate in LGB people. Reparative therapy has never been demonstrated to be successful on transgender people, isn't approved by any psychological organization, has no guidelines on how to conduct it, and no standard metrics of success.

In other words, any attempt to suggest that the solution to the problem of suicide in the transgender community is to stop being transgender is nothing more than chaff. These individuals are more interested in enforcing their brand of Biblical morality on society than the actual well-being of transgender people.

They're hoping that no one will read this article. They're hoping that no one will think the problem through. What happens when you rape, beat, fire, evict, reject, isolate, demonize, and humiliate a class people on a daily basis? What happens when all of this is done by people in the name of God? Would you expect a group of people experiencing this to thrive?

Or would you expect 40% of them to try to find escape in oblivion?

Leelah was right.

If we want to end the scourge of suicide, it's time we stop trying to fix transgender people.

It's time to fix society.

....................................................................................................................................................................................

I put this up cause the NAD admitted it has no idea about this stuff. no kidding

5649d10f2f22a_1NADHOMO.thumb.jpg.8c6d957

http://www.nadadventist.org/site/1/2015%20Documents/NAD%20Statement%20on%20Human%20Sexuality-Nov%202%202015.pdf

Well they are partially right. They also have no idea what Sexual Orientation/Same Sex Attraction is about either.

The Church AS A WHOLE can not effectively  (cause of  ignorance and hypocrisy) speak on this.

Their official position should be (on the Whole)..they don't know what they are talking about and have no right to tell LGBTIQQAA matters of their relationships. And LGBTIQQAA still be members and hold positions..Like Exactly they do with the own much approved heterosexuals and their relationships.

hey what a thought!

The heterosexual sexual/relationships issues far outweigh the gays. Look around.

Givin the divorce and number of remarriages by good standing members... As of now ... also  includes  SDA Official Position Holders (we even have one reinstated Prez of a Major worldwide SDA Cable Station)

At least the Christians heterosexuals can do among themselves is address heterosexuality among heterosexuals with their complex issues of heterosexuality regarding divorce and remarriage.

I guarantee we will see blatant HYPOCRISY.

When the heterosexuals got together on this ridiculous (i know I know ..baby steps baby steps) Statement on Gays ..they did not include SDA Gay Christians in the conversation.

You can liken it to just men issuing a SDA approved document on the rolls of women in church and life ..no lady input whatsoever.

The Church must be a Sanctuary for the LGBTIQQAA.

(much much less of Suicide and Violence among Transgenders ..Re: above article on this  post)

The Church with ALL its members.. thru Transparency and Connection and Safety and Acceptance naturally beckons Accountability and Healing and Growth.

There is no shortcut for that.

We are all in this Together.

There is no 'Us' verses 'Them'

Celibacy  are for those that are gifted with it. (1 Cor 7:8)..it  cannot be demanded by the Church... for starters

Working intimately constantly  reaching in and reaching out  together as a Family with JESUS as the Foundation does wonders for  potential straying from the ideal.

But We do have a GOD of Concessions.

For the Spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

http://clubadventist.com/forums/topic/62910-a-god-of-concessions-divorce-etclistislong/#comment-691726 

God works with us wherever we are at and then leads us closer.

Waiting for the Church to reflect that.

Romeo and Juliet

A lived concern for justice louder than the roaring apathy

by M Barclay | Nov 20, 2015 | Transgender, Uncategorized | 0 comments

http://www.rmnetwork.org/newrmn/39282-2/

On this Transgender Day of Remembrance, I am acutely aware of how many times this year I opened my Facebook only to be struck again by grief at the news of another death of someone who is trans. So many lives were taken this year – some quickly by physical hands of hate and others slowly over time through isolation and oppression that led to suicide.

So many were young. So many were African American. So many were feminine.

Each time the news flashed before me, my heart was so filled with grief at the thought of their suffering, at the injustice of their short lives, and at the little attention and outrage their experiences will invoke in others. They would largely be ignored, or perhaps worse, erased through the use of the wrong pronouns, their dead name, the disregarding of their very identity.

While it is certainly not true that “no one cares,” as a trans person, sometimes it can feel like that’s true.

This feeling comes from experiences. It comes from the fact that all too often, the experiences of trans people are not brought into a room or conversation unless a trans person brings them up. It comes from never hearing an urgent condemnation of violence against trans women of color from church pulpits. It comes from the silence at “LGBT” conferences, in media, and among friends. It comes from the way Transgender Day of Remembrance is honored by many, but the work needed to prevent its necessity isn’t.

We live in a time where more people than ever are saying they support trans people but this year also brought about a record breaking number of murders of trans people. One would think with the increased support of the trans community, we would also have a record breaking number of people who are so struck with outrage and grief at such violence that we would be moving in the direction of putting an end to it. But such hope doesn’t feel present just yet.

No one can say to another – “I know you don’t care.” But we can say to one another, “I don’t hear or see your care in your words or actions.”

Trans women of color have a 1 in 8 chance of being murdered.

1 in 8.

Sharing that statistic, or celebrating Trans Day of Remembrance, is not meant to invoke a passive grief that we acknowledge this one day. Both of these things are only valuable in as much as they move us to action.

It is awful enough that individual lives are taken. But such tragedy even has ripple effects when trans people must witness the apathy, the transphobic responses, the lack of investment in preventing the next death. These things speak – and speak loudly.

So on this Trans Day of Remembrance – in hoping to actually honor the lives that were ended – can we all ask ourselves how we are contributing to violence and injustice against trans women of color and commit to making the care we might hold on the inside visible through words and actions on the outside?

Can your refusal to accept the status quo of a world where suicide and murder of trans people is painfully common speak louder than the roaring apathy?

There are so many things each and everyone can do – but listed below are just a few. If one of these doesn’t fit for you, find one that does. Each year the articles on Trans Day of Remembrance are largely the same saying in many ways: TDOR is great, but what about the rest of the year; The violence is largely targeted at trans women of color so that should shift our focus; Trans people don’t need pity, we need systemic justice. The articles are the same every year because the responses between each Nov 20th are also largely the same. It’s time for that to change – and you can be a part of that.

Will you commit to helping us move from a record breaking high number of murders of trans people in 2015 to a record breaking low number of murders of trans people in 2016? Here are just a few ways to do so:

Seek out the voices of trans women of color and listen to them. Read what they write. Watch them on TV interviews. Invite them to speak at your church. They should be the front and center of the trans movement and trans rights. Monica Jones. Cece McDonald. Janet Mock. Laverne Cox. There are many voices to listen to and they are only a google search away.

Speak up. If you are a woman involved in anti-sexism work, be the one to remind people that supporting women means advocating for trans women. If you are a person of color involved in anti-racist work, advocate for trans people of color in your own community. If you are a white trans person, don’t leave it up to trans people of color and trans women to do all the anti-racist and anti-sexist work within our own circles.

Remember that racism and sexism are trans issues.

Start (or deepen) conversations on trans issues at your church. Issues of sexual orientation and gender identity are related, but separate. If you’ve been advocating for LGB people, consider whether or not the specific issues of gender identity have been addressed similarly. If not, how can you get that started?

Find out who is doing trans organizing in your city. Ask them what support they need. See if they would be interested in your church getting involved.

Write letters. What politicians, what appointed leaders, what religious bodies need to hear from you? Ask them what they are doing to prevent violence against trans people. Let them know about policies they should pass that protect trans people. Tell them you need to hear from them publicly.

Watch movies, read books, listen to podcasts that feature trans voices and stories.

Talk to your friends and social circles. You probably mention other stories in the news occasionally when talking with others. Do you share the news of trans people too? Do you share it on Facebook?

Learn about cisgender privilege. Photo IDs. Pronouns. Incarceration. Sex work. Healthcare. Access to jobs. Visibility. Isolation. Housing. Safety. All of these things have to do with challenges faced by trans people. Look into one of them and share what you learn with others.

Think of your own ideas. Think creatively about how you can make a difference in your own context. Think about how to do so during worship, in Sunday School, from the pulpit, during coffee hour, in youth group, in service, through hospitality…

Do something to put action and voice to your care. Not just today but until the injustices stop and all can live into their true selves without discrimination, oppression, or fear of death.

Romeo and Juliet