ClubAdventist is back!

Understanding Ellen White

james423

• Moderators

Today I just started reading through a book of essays on the life and work of Ellen White, edited by Merlin D. Burt of Andrews University.  In these 17 essays, various writers talk about the work and ministry of Ellen White, her views towards vegetarianism, how she actually did her writing, her relationship to science of her day and today, what the Ellen White Estate does (and its history, too), and why a person should read her writings.

What I've read thus far is quite interesting.  The authors acknowledge that she was a human being, that her supporters and helpers sometimes made some interesting mistakes, and that she really didn't feel that her writings should be considered as equal to the Bible (as some wish to do with her books). They examine those who totally disagreed with her - Canright and Kellogg, among them - and gently try to explain where these critics got things wrong.

All in all, I think the book an excellent read.

James Brenneman

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

Thank you! I have this book around somewhere

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.