ClubAdventist is back!

Eyptian pyramids for grains

14 hours ago, Gregory Matthews said:

JimTN, thank you for your posts on this subject..... 

I believe that when the video of he blood slide was first placed on the website, Ron was still alive.   As the website was essentially Ron's I hold  him responsible.

Excuse me, RON WAS DEAD when Richard Rives posted the video of the blood sample -- so if OTHERS are continuing Ron's work and doing something incorrect that was posted on the website after Ron was gone, THEN IT IS THEIR FAULT -- not Ron Wyatt's!  And if you had a problem with it, why didn't you contact the Museum and talk to them about it?  Richard Rives has no PhD in blood science, you should have approached him and helped him understand things!

The only thing here that matters in the long run is Truth -- the Truth about the discoveries!

• Moderators

Prolonged arguments that 'the pyramids must be less than 4000 years old to have been built after the Flood are non-responsive.

The issue is whether it is plausible that the purpose of the pyramids was grain storage.

It is not. That judgement is based on the physical features of the pyramids that are visible right here, right now. It does not require any assumptions about their age or who built them. The pyramids are *terrible* grain stores, and in no way would have stored enough grain to feed Egypt and surrounding countries for 7 years.

Truth is important

• Moderators

And I am very happy to say "Sure, don't hold the guy to something he said in a different context 17 years ago". There are certainly things I said 17 years ago that I wouldn't stand by today.

Thing is, he *did* stand by it. He was asked this week, and confirmed that his personal theory is that the pyramids are grain stores built by Joseph.

Truth is important

• Moderators

Interesting side note: Shane, our resident construction manager guy on these forums, also noted that there's no way the pyramids were built in 7 years, which is also a feature of Ben Carson's personal theory.

Truth is important

• Members

smiley_deadhorse.GIF.d88140e6cbe800212cd

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

There is an old saying related to Jews and I'll include Adventists...probably Mormons and Catholics and throw in Baptists as well.  You take three Jews and you get four opinions.

Carson is supposedly a brilliant surgeon.  But, he is throwing out a lot of silly statements on subjects that he seems to have glided or skimmed over as perhaps light reading or lectures that he may have dosed during.  

He is coming off as being careless in his earnest endeavor to appear as one of the Tea Party and Dominionist clan.

2 hours ago, Bravus said:

....The issue is whether it is plausible that the purpose of the pyramids was grain storage......

Bravus, have you looked at the websites I posted links to that show that there ARE 11 huge grain storage bins at the Sakarra complex?

Is ANYBODY on this thread looking at the links I posted??????

Don't know about others.....however the statement was about the pyramids, not the possibility of other structures being grain storage, so no I haven't looked at the links.

Why, makes no differences to the topic of BC's statement.

• Moderators

JimTN - I haven't looked at the links, but I did read your post, where you explained about the grain storage bins at the Sakarra complex. 

I thought that was fascinating, but that it was off the topic of what Ben Carson is saying. He is neither limiting his comments to Sakarra nor indicating that there was grain storage in the same complex as the pyramids, he is saying that the pyramids (presumably from context the ones at Giza) are themselves built for grain storage.

Everything you have said may be completely true and accurate, and I have no reason to believe it's not, but it doesn't help Dr Carson.

Truth is important

On 11/7/2015, 10:26:41, CoAspen said:

They didn't store grain!

They are still being 'explored', read the latest in archaeology news.

Just because someone isn't setting out to lie, does not make what they say truth, ie Ron Wyatt.

For BC to think he is unfairly being picked one, wake up to the world of media! Politicos want the and need the media, they would just like to control it, ie the 'debates'.

And, yes, they did do their best to 'nit pick' Obama as well, BC seems to forget the years of 'birthers' and the media.

Good point about the "hidden birth dertificate" -- maybe Carson should hide his birth certificate for a few years - then at some point in the future let it be "found" so he can refer to the media as "Birthers"...???

Same with his college and highschool  transcripts - hide them for a few years - then tell everyone to "shun the media" if they think that behavior is 'odd'.

I am sure they would let him get by with that as fast as "having a personal opinion" about the hermetically sealed rooms not used for the kings in the Pyramids. Because "having a personal opinion" is the same thing.

John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free

“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.

13 hours ago, Bravus said:

JimTN - I haven't looked at the links, but I did read your post, where you explained about the grain storage bins at the Sakarra complex. 

I thought that was fascinating, but that it was off the topic of what Ben Carson is saying. He is neither limiting his comments to Sakarra nor indicating that there was grain storage in the same complex as the pyramids, he is saying that the pyramids (presumably from context the ones at Giza) are themselves built for grain storage.

Everything you have said may be completely true and accurate, and I have no reason to believe it's not, but it doesn't help Dr Carson.

Carson's "personal opinion" ?? or -- "Carson the Archaeologist"???

For those that saw that sermon - it was an illustration - and not the point of the message.

As for the "thought police" -- well clearly Carson should not have "had that thought" about the hermetically sealed rooms - additional rooms that were not used for the kings in those great pyramids, in addition to the rooms for the kings.

===============================================================================================

Credit of the following history of this topic goes to Jason Colavito.

The grain storage theory is not new. According to Jason Colavito, "Julius Honorius, a Roman writer of Late Antiquity (c. 500 +/- 50 years), was apparently the first to describe the pyramids as Joseph’s granaries, in his Cosmographia, in which he says that the pyramids 'are called the storehouses of Joseph,' but without elaboration.

There's "Gregory of Tours’ History of the Franks, written in the 6th century, where the bishop wrote about a 'city in which Joseph built granaries from squared stones and rubble with marvellous workmanship.'" (H/T: TPM)

Benjamin.jpg

Benjamin of Tudela (1130-1173)

The granary theory was also proposed by Benjamin of Tudela (1130-1173), “a Medieval Jew from the Kingdom of Navarre who wrote about his Travels to the Holy Land.”1

“From New Mizraim unto Old Mizraim is a distance of two parasangs. The latter is in ruins, and the place where walls and houses stood can be seen to the present day. The store-houses also of Joseph of blessed memory are to be found in great numbers in many places. They are built of lime and stone, and are exceedingly strong. A pillar is there of marvellous workmanship, the like of which cannot be seen throughout the world.”2

There is a mural that "shows Joseph’s granaries as the Pyramids of Egypt, with holes at their peaks for pouring in grain" based on "a copy of the Book of Genesis made in the fifth century." (H/T: Jason Calavito).

You can see from the mosaic that these pyramid-like structures were small and hollow like today's storage silos. Grain would have been poured in from the top. Pyramid-shaped storage buildings may have been common because of their structural stability.

The Great Pyramids, however, are not hollow and would not be conducive to grain storage,

=============================================

So while Carson would be "allowed to have that thought" - and can be a great neurosurgeon and politician while having "such a thought" -- he might not do so well as a renowned archaeologist that merely that "personal thought" to support him.

Oh now wait! -- i take that back - no he cannot "have that thought" as a politician - just as a successful neurosurgeon

The Secret Doors Inside the Great Pyramid
Zahi Hawass

Plan_Great_Pyramid.jpg The Great Pyramid of Khufu has always fascinated people because it is the only ancient wonder of the world that exists today. It is also possible people are fascinated because Khufu’s pyramid, especially the interior, is very complex. The modern entrance to the pyramid was created in the Ninth Century A.D. by el-Mamoun son of Haroun el-Rhasied. The true entrance is above this one. This passage goes down through the pyramid, and then connects to another corridor that ascends to the King’s and Queen’s Chambers. The original passage continues downwards into an unfinished chamber directly under the pyramid. Discussion about the purpose of these chambers and the complexity of the pyramid is varied and ongoing.

Kings Chamber - Great Pyramid - Copyright 1998 - Andrew Bayuk - All Rights Reserved

ok so that is "interesting" -- but does it allow Dr. Carson to 'have that thought' about Joseph and the grain??

http://www.guardians.net/hawass/articles/secret_doors_inside_the_great_pyramid.htm

"Let's vote on it"   :)

So here is the question --

should this be titled "Carson has a personal opinion about something - and that thought is not allowed"?

Or should it be titled "Carson caught in evil Pyramid scheme?"

So looking for the quote

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/11/05/ben-carson-believes-joseph-built-egypts-pyramids-to-store-grain-and-it-just-may-get-him-some-votes/

“My own personal theory is that Joseph built the pyramids to store grain,” Carson said in a 1998 commencement speech at Andrews University, unearthed by BuzzFeed. “Now all the archaeologists think that they were made for the pharaohs’ graves. But, you know, it would have to be something awfully big — when you stop and think about it, and I don’t think it’d just disappear over the course of time — to store that much grain.”

that article quote related to Jason Colavito quotes from this link

From; http://godfatherpolitics.com/26258/ben-carson-pyramids-grain-storage-and-the-bible/

14 hours ago, Bravus said:

JimTN - I haven't looked at the links, but I did read your post, where you explained about the grain storage bins at the Sakarra complex.....

And it seems that NOBODY here is interested in looking at my links!

Not one single person has written a single word about our pics of the 11 huge Sakarra Grain Bins...

So I guess I'm just going to have to post them here so you'll have to see them!

Sakarra1of11bins.jpg

SakarraPitsMap.jpg

This is fascinating...  thank you...  I tweeted one of your pages to CNN and a few other media places...  the front page is really busy, and could use some modernization to have more credibility. That is just my opinion, others will differ am sure.

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

• Moderators

Bob Ryan seems to be wilfully ignoring the fact that Ben Carson repeated the claim this week.

'Having that thought' in a different context 17 years ago is one thing. Repeating it now, after having plenty of opportunities to inform himself, is a different thing.

Sharing 'that thought' with people in antiquity is fair enough... but bringing himself up to date would be more credible.

As a private citizen he can have any thought he wants. As someone who is seeking the highest and most powerful office in the land, he needs to demonstrate the ability to temper his thoughts with evidence and reality.

• Like 2

Truth is important

• Moderators

I think I already said it a couple of pages ago in this thread: there are far more worrying and important things in his real policy proposals than this side issue.

This is interesting only as it shines light on character: and character is everything for a leader.

Truth is important

Politicians, and occasionally the rest of us, are not immune to gaffes and logical fallacies. Mr. Carson probably never took the time to study the pyramids, but instead, carried around an unsubstantiated opinion for many years. We can be sure that he is not the only human being to do so.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

Here's PROOF that the pyramids were used to store grain, etc.....

Last night on the Stephen Colbert TV talk show he revealed this "ancient Egyptian diagram" that shows the pyramids were used for grain & food storage!

HA!

StephenColbertFoodPryamid.jpg

• Like 2