ClubAdventist is back!

Policeofficers

ChildofChrist

Today, two officers were placed under arrest on two counts each. Second degree murder and attempted second degree murder. I agree with the first charge, because the death of 6 yr. old Jeremy Mardis was not intended. However, they were out for blood when it came to the  child's father and IMO, they fired upon the driver for no reason other than a bad past. The only bullets and only firearms on the scene belonged to the cops.

What happened to the idea that law enforcement is supposed to be a friend for those in need of help? This is just another notch for folks to be fearful. My understanding is there is now more than a 1000 suspected wrongful deaths. 

Most likely I'm taking this close to heart is because this child was special needs. And now there is mum & dad without purpose.;(;(;(;(;(;(;(

Wakan Tanka Kici Un

~~Child of Christ~~

I think we should remember that:

1)  In no point of time in our human history that police force, in any shape or form, were perfectly exemplifying their ideal behavior.   That goes for any public jobs there doing public service, be it teachers, doctors, etc.

2)  I actually respect police far more than military, because they are responsible for maintaining domestic order and law.   That doesn't elevate them above that law, but it does give them some consideration, because they are in a setting that's different from you and I.   You and I get to benefit from their risk.   When they do commit error, we tend to interpret it from the POV of our safe environment that police creates in the first place.  

3)  The real question would be as to how any of us would act given prolonged exposure to certain criminal behavior.   What opinions would we form.   What reactions would we develop.

I think that rather than fear law-enforcement, we should approach the subject with some degree of compassion and understanding for both sides.   I don't think that abuse is excusable, but it shouldn't spill into general negative reaction with any given police confrontation to the point that police is associated with negative mishaps which are but a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the wide array of public service that these people perform.