ClubAdventist is back!

CBS: Majority Of Americans Don’t Trust Obama To Defeat Islamic State

• Moderators

The truth matters. The claim that Obama wrote what was quoted is false. Check this site: https://www.truthorfiction.com/obama-books/

The relevant section:

I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.”-Fiction!
This is a corruption of a quote from Obama’s book The Audacity of Hope.  It is from a section that talks about the concerns of immigrants who are American citizens.

Here is the accurate and more complete quote:  “Of course, not all my conversations in immigrant communities follow this easy pattern. In the wake of 9/11, my meetings with Arab and Pakistani Americans, for example, have a more urgent quality, for the stories of detentions and FBI questioning and hard stares from neighbors have shaken their sense of security and belonging.  They have been reminded that the history of immigration in this country has a dark underbelly; they need specific assurances that their citizenship really means something, that America has learned the right lessons from the Japanese internments during World War II, and that I will stand with them should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.”

The president of a country says that he will stand with the citizens of that country if they are threatened by bigoted elements within that country. That is exactly what a president should do! Would you prefer a president who says "If you as citizens become unpopular, you're on your own"?!

• Like 2

Truth is important

10 hours ago, Geoarrge said:

"I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction." - Audacity of Hope, page 261

Snopes

Origins:

The above-quoted e-mail forward reproduces passages taken from Barack Obama's two books —

Dreams from My Father

(1995) and

The Audacity of Hope

— with the presumed intent of presenting Obama as a self-declared racist. However, these cherry-picked statements are all presented devoid of context, and some of them are reworded from the original (or apparently non-existent). Below we have identified and reproduced the relevant passages in which these statements appear, with their fuller context:....

This statement is a rewording of a passage from page 261 of The Audacity of Hope, in which Barack Obama spoke of the importance of not allowing inflamed public opinion to result in innocent members of immigrant groups being stripped of their rights, denied their due as American citizens, or placed into confinement, as was done with Japanese-Americans during World War II. The original contains no specific mention of "Muslims": .

In the wake of 9/11, my meetings with Arab and Pakistani Americans, for example, have a more urgent quality, for the stories of detentions and FBI questioning and hard stares from neighbors have shaken their sense of security and belonging. They have been reminded that the history of immigration in this country has a dark underbelly; they need specific reassurances that their citizenship really means something, that America has learned the right lessons from the Japanese internments during World War II, and that I will stand with them should the political winds shift in an ugly direction. ..

obamahead.jpg 

God is Love!  Jesus saves!  :D:offtobed:  :prayer:

Lift Jesus up!!

• Administrators

Speaks for 

2 hours ago, Bravus said:

Lots of insanity talked in this thread.

I despair for America.

Yep.  Crazy talk on the out of control crazy train, one whistle stop from crazy town...  

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

4 hours ago, Bravus said:

The president of a country says that he will stand with the citizens of that country if they are threatened by bigoted elements within that country. That is exactly what a president should do! Would you prefer a president who says "If you as citizens become unpopular, you're on your own"?!

What if the bigots are the ones being imported, though? I guess it's bigotry to point out that there might be a problem.  A very interesting viewpoint.

So the quote was garbled, I apologize. Obviously I don't own my own copy of the book.  I would still say the substance stands. He romanticizes Islamic culture to the point of blinding himself to the ideological framework invoked by the terrorists. In that regard he cannot be trusted to deal with them. 

To be an agent of creation is to serve the Creator.

Doesn't it seem odd that Mr. Obama has warned us that terrorists will strike us here in the USA, while at the same time he lays down the welcome mat for Syrian refugees. Might be hard to sort out who are and aren't terrorists until they've shot you, stabbed you, or blown you up into small pieces. As our western culture descends into the cesspool, it is losing the protection that comes from above, and as a result, will be incapable of fighting and winning a war against men driven by demons. 

The real crazies are the ones trying to kill the unsuspecting as they go about their daily lives. To them, human life is worth nothing, and to murder non-Muslims is pleasing to Allah. Wouldn't it be a shocker to find out that Mr. Obama has been radicalized? He would have to fool the people for awhile until his golden opportunity arises.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

• Administrators

So we fight crazy with crazy talk?

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

When people have been shown the error of their ways and still persist......what do we call that type of thinking, delusional,  self blinded, or can we go with a common every day word.......(6 letters, starts with s and ends with d)

teehee:tomato:

I hope what I say isn't adding to the craziness.  I don't think sending troops to the Middle East is the answer.  radical Islam is not simply a Middle Eastern phenomena - it is world-wide.  Stopping it in the Middle East doesn't stop it in the other 80% of the Muslim world.

There are 1.6 billion Muslims in the world. If only 15% of them are radicalized, that's 240 million people inclined towards jihad.  The world has yet to figure out how to defeat or control a prevalent world-wide ideology.  How do you declare war on an ideology?  Islamic terror has been a global issue since the 1970's.  Attacking the ideology of radical Islam involves invading sovereign countries; so politics and diplomacy get mixed up with religion.  I personally don't see a feasible economic, diplomatic, or military solution to the issues being discussed.

Rather than continue my rant from other threads, I want to propose a possible spiritual solution. With God, all things are possible.  Pray for the power of the true God - the outpouring of the Spirit as prophesied in Joel - to fall upon all men - including Islam.  Pray that we as Christians can put away some of our petty differences and unite in spiritual warfare against the evil one who continues to lead the earth towards destruction.  Love those who hate us; pray for those who persecute us.  Forgive those torment and martyr us.  God loves Muslims and all other people as much as He loves Christians and Jews.  Jesus died that all men might be saved - not just Christians and Jews.

• Moderators

The thing is, it's not 15%, it's 0.001%. It's a minuscule rump.

And the Syrian refugees are the people *fleeing* the violence, not the people *perpetrating* the violence. Only by stereotyping all Arabs as Muslims and all Muslims as terrorists does fearing them making any sense... which means it makes no sense.

As has been pointed out in the Australian context, IS/Daesh has plenty of money and resources. Why would it put people on leaky boats or overland marches and then into 18 month approval processes, when it can give them a fake passport and put them on a plane and have them there today?

It simply makes no sense at all to fear terrorism on the part of the refugees. 

Truth is important

• Members

I don't think there's really a way to put a percentage on the population of Muslims on the side of the jihadists, but even at 0.001%, that's still 16,000 who are hell-bent on destroying the "infidels" – and the recruitment to their cause is quite active... jus' sayin'...

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Moderators

We are discovering in this cycle that NON-sense gets votes.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Administrators
On November 30, 2015 at 7:52:23 PM, Bravus said:

And the Syrian refugees are the people *fleeing* the violence, not the people *perpetrating* the violence. Only by stereotyping all Arabs as Muslims and all Muslims as terrorists does fearing them making any sense... which means it makes no sense.

As has been pointed out in the Australian context, IS/Daesh has plenty of money and resources. Why would it put people on leaky boats or overland marches and then into 18 month approval processes, when it can give them a fake passport and put them on a plane and have them there today?

Yes, as has been pointed out already, the 9/11 hijackers came in on tourist visas, as did the Boston bombers.  The are any number of easier and faster ways to get into this country other than as refugees.  That s actually one of the hardest ways and least certain of success of actually entering this country.

But as we have seen repeatedly is that far more violence and acts of domestic terrorism are perpetrated by our own citizens, most natural born citizens than by  foreigners.

Having assault weapons and bomb-making equipment in one's baggage might raise a few red flags when the luggage is screened. Purchasing those items after arrival may do the same. Smuggling these items in cargo ships, then transferring them to smaller boats or to land, might bypass the red flags.

WASP terrorism certainly makes the national headlines. Mass murders in the inner cities not so much unless a baby or child is murdered by stray or intentional gunfire.

On Monday, November 30, 2015 5:52:23, Bravus said:

Where do you get your numbers?  The attached link summarizes dozens of polls by reputable pollsters that indicate anywhere from 5% to 50% of Muslims (depending on their homeland) support some sort of violence against the West or actively support those who do.

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/pages/opinion-polls.htm

What might be different if the US had not overthrown the dictators of Iraq, Afghanistan, and Libya? Maybe not much. Humans without God are no match fighting against demons. IS is like a highly contagious disease that can't be cured with our Western mindset. Reason, logic, and respect for life are poorly matched against fanaticism.

• Moderators

Geoarrge said what I have quoted below:

My question is:  Please share with us what you think is your moral/ethical obligation to document the facts when you cite such statements.

So the quote was garbled, I apologize. Obviously I don't own my own copy of the book.  I would still say the substance stands. He romanticizes Islamic culture to the point of blinding himself to the ideological framework invoked by the terrorists. In that regard he cannot be trusted to deal with them. 

Gregory

My obligation is to cite things accurately.  In that regard I stand corrected.  I find it absurd, however, to construe the paraphrase as necessarily false, especially when the figure in question is behaving consistently with that interpretation. 

To be an agent of creation is to serve the Creator.

• Moderators
On 12/8/2015 at 1:24 PM, Geoarrge said:

My obligation is to cite things accurately.  In that regard I stand corrected.  I find it absurd, however, to construe the paraphrase as necessarily false, especially when the figure in question is behaving consistently with that interpretation. 

There was no paraphrase. It was a misrepresentation pure and simple. The quote was deliberately misconstrued to try to fit a false narrative which is bizarre at best.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• 3 weeks later...

Footnote:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208122076960406&set=a.2243725423364.2128315.1554986398&type=3&theater

Quit trashing Obama's accomplishments. He has done more than any other President before him. Here is a list of his impressive accomplishments: 

1. First President to be photographed smoking a joint. 

2. First President to apply for college aid as a foreign student, then deny he was a foreigner. 

3. First President to have a social security number from a state he has never lived in. 

4. First President to preside over a cut to the credit-rating of the United States. 

5. First President to violate the War Powers Act. 

6. First President to be held in contempt of court for illegally obstructing oil drilling in the Gulf of Mexico. 

7. First President to require all Americans to purchase a product from a third party. 

8. First President to spend a trillion dollars on "shovel-ready" jobs when there was no such thing as "shovel-ready" jobs. 

9. First President to abrogate bankruptcy law to turn over control of companies to his union supporters. 

10. First President to by-pass Congress and implement the Dream Act through executive fiat. 

11. First President to order a secret amnesty program that stopped the deportation of illegal immigrants across the U.S., including those with criminal convictions. 

12. First President to demand a company hand-over $20 billion to one of his political appointees. 

13. First President to tell a CEO of a major corporation (Chrysler) to resign. 

14. First President to terminate America’s ability to put a man in space. 

15. First President to cancel the National Day of Prayer and to say that America is no longer a Christian nation. 

16. First President to have a law signed by an auto-pen without being present. 

17. First President to arbitrarily declare an existing law unconstitutional and refuse to enforce it. 

18. First President to threaten insurance companies if they publicly spoke out on the reasons for their rate increases. 

19. First President to tell a major manufacturing company in which state it is allowed to locate a factory. 

20. First President to file lawsuits against the states he swore an oath to protect (AZ, WI, OH, IN). 

21. First President to withdraw an existing coal permit that had been properly issued years ago. 

22. First President to actively try to bankrupt an American industry (coal). 

23. First President to fire an inspector general of AmeriCorps for catching one of his friends in a corruption case. 

24. First President to appoint 45 czars to replace elected officials in his office. 

25. First President to surround himself with radical left wing anarchists. 

26. First President to golf more than 150 separate times in his five years in office. 

27. First President to hide his birth, medical, educational and travel records. 

28. First President to win a Nobel Peace Prize for doing NOTHING to earn it. 

29. First President to go on multiple "global apology tours" and concurrent "insult our friends" tours. 

30. First President to go on over 17 lavish vacations, in addition to date nights and Wednesday evening White House parties for his friends paid for by the taxpayers. 

31. First President to have personal servants (taxpayer funded) for his wife. 

32. First President to keep a dog trainer on retainer for $102,000 a year at taxpayer expense. 

33. First President to fly in a personal trainer from Chicago at least once a week at taxpayer expense. 

34. First President to repeat the Quran and tell us the early morning call of the Azan (Islamic call to worship) is the most beautiful sound on earth. 

35. First President to side with a foreign nation over one of the American 50 states (Mexico vs Arizona). 

36. First President to tell the military men and women that they should pay for their own private insurance because they "volunteered to go to war and knew the consequences." 

37. Then he was the First President to tell the members of the military that THEY were UNPATRIOTIC for balking at the last suggestion. 

I feel much better now. I had been under the impression he hadn't been doing ANYTHING... Such an accomplished individual... in the eyes of the ignorant maybe.!.

• Administrators

Too bad for you that all that is a bunch of hogwash...  But then lack of truthiness never gets in the way of good old political  propaganda.