ClubAdventist is back!

Real Names and Photos

Bravus

• Moderators

I've made the decision to transition from my nickname - which I've had here for a very, very long time - to using my real name. In the transition I've kind of kept both.

I've also uploaded an actual photo of myself rather than the cartoon version I've been using.

Others who are more vulnerable for a wide variety of family or work related or other reasons may prefer to still use nicknames and other representations, and I completely honour that. When the issue has come up in the past, I've been quick to recognise that I'm in a privileged position in being able to say pretty much whatever I want to online without serious repurcusions. Others are not in that situation.

For me, I think it will be a bit of a sobering influence: at least once I have been contacted by a real person about whom I had said something on this forum - and that was when I had a nickname. Now that it's all searchable with my own name, it'll lead to additional think-before-speaking, which isn't a bad thing.

Truth is important

• Administrators

Me, too :)

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

confession time:

my avatar covers well how I am in my spiritual being;

the 'aka' represents the multiple affectionate nicknames given to me by mother, and also my work collegues naming me what they saw in my personality, as well as various pseudo-names used in this and other online forums.

The name is mine, and the photo is my inner-self.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

• Moderators

Dear Bravus, I have long appreciated your wisdom in your comments here.   I admire this latest decision of yours, although I can't think of anything you've said in the past which would be offensive to anyone had it been signed by your true name.   You are one of the best reasons to read Club Adventist.   May your tribe increase!

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

I'll close my account. Perhaps in the future I'll rejoin sometime under my real name. Not interested in doing so right now. May God richly bless you each and every one in your endeavors! Happy New Year and Shabbat Shalom! :surrender::flower:

• Like 2

I've always used my real name. I thought I'd already posted a photo, but evidently not. That's fixed.  I absolutely agree with you. If this is going to be an Adventist Christian forum, we shouldn't show up wearing a hood with eye-holes cut into it. Studies have shown that wearing a mask or some other cloak of invisibility encourages people to do things they would not ordinarily do. Some of these things are called sins. It's much easier to sin if nobody knows it's you. In the time of the end, we're going to have to have a lot of courage to stand for the right though the heavens fall. We won't get to hide behind an avatar and a nom de' plume then. Might as well get used to it now.

• Like 3

Tom King

Texas native

Amazed by Grace

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Aubrey said:

I'll close my account. Perhaps in the future I'll rejoin sometime under my real name. Not interested in doing so right now. May God richly bless you each and every one in your endeavors! Happy New Year and Shabbat Shalom! :surrender::flower:

love0059.gif

This was 100% *not* meant to pressure you or anyone: I hope you'll stay. 

Truth is important

5 hours ago, David 'Bravus' Geelan said:

This was 100% *not* meant to pressure you or anyone: I hope you'll stay. 

Thanks Bravus. 

• Like 2

My name stands for something so profound it goes over most heads ..going by the postings and background chat.

And listening to what too many Christians say in my presence (when they don't know i'm QUEER) for too many decades about the LGBTIQQAAP..ugh..uhhh it is best on the Stranger laden Internet for me not to use my real pic and name. Only in transparency, trust, and connection with JESUS as the Foundation would that change.

(a Few know my real name)

It is lost on so many why exactly why putting myself out there.

It is OK.

(one of the main reasons is I get to hear all kinds of great thoughts(and not so great) and advice  to me..showing too much of themselves..so I can deal with them accordingly)

we don't need real names and pics to show Who we are

Every Post people Post says the world about themselves!.

May the JOY of the Lord be your Strength!

# i have found as a whole..the church rather for LGTBIQQAAP  to stay in the closet!

you cant have healing without safe connection thru recckless transparency.. and that scares the buki out of most

cause most do not have that and are rightfully scared of it

For all Eternity God waited in anticipation for  You  to show up to give You a Message - YOUR INCLUDED !!! { a merry dance }?️‍?

" If you tarry 'til you're better
You will never come at all "   .. "I Will Rise" by the late great saved  Glen Campbell

If your picture of God is starting to feel too good to be true, you're starting to move in the right direction. :candle:

"My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
The more I have, for both are infinite."

Romeo and Juliet

16 hours ago, GayatfootofCross said:

...we don't need real names and pics to show Who we are

Every Post people Post says the world about themselves!.

...you cant have healing without safe connection thru recckless transparency.. and that scares the buki out of most

cause most do not have that and are rightfully scared of it

I feel very much the same way. We can (and do!) reveal ourselves through our words and actions. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet! To me, it's important to be kind, fair, and just everyday, no matter what name I go by: Daughter, wife, mother, daughter, grand-daughter, sister, aunt, daughter-in-law, friend, parishoner, acquaintance, employer, employee, customer, client...

I chose to remain semi-anonymous here because it allows me to write "aloud" thoughts that I am uncomfortable sharing with every person I know. If confronted, I wouldn't deny what I've shared here, but it's not something I want in the open all of the time. 

I'm right out there...picture and name.  But, I sure do understand why one would want to be careful on a computer.

• Like 3

• Administrators

My name and picture is me ... granddaughter doesn't mind my sharing her picture.  A long time ago I made a decision not to hid behind an alias or fake picture.  It helps me to be more aware of what I say on the world-wide web ... as for privacy on the computer, it is not difficult for anyone with some computer skills to identify us so why try to hid behind the computer screen.

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

• Moderators

Real picture and real name.  Hi everybody!  Great points made about putting additional thought into posting prior to posting.  Looking forward to 'meeting' more folks here that I may have known by caricature or nickname for years.

I feel that sharing my name and photo is almost as bad as sharing other personal info such as birthday, place of birth, SSN, etc. Using a handle and avatar reduces the chance of turning up on someone's search engine, perhaps someone with no good intentions. I tend to use a fake birthday if one is needed to join a group, and avoid publishing any personal info in a social setting just to reduce the possibility of identity theft, which my name and photo might make easier.

Although I did share a photo of myself in a group setting here in CA, but it's not a great picture.

• Like 2

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

14 hours ago, dgrimm60 said:

HEY  ALL

i use  my real  name   but  picture  is  not me----:announce::shofar:teeheeROFLMHO

dgrimm60

Oh goodness Gracious! Thank you for clearing that up!

I thought you looked like JoeMo!

And Aubrey!

On 1/9/2016 at 1:15 PM, Aubrey said:

:P

• Like 2

For all Eternity God waited in anticipation for  You  to show up to give You a Message - YOUR INCLUDED !!! { a merry dance }?️‍?

You will never come at all "   .. "I Will Rise" by the late great saved  Glen Campbell

If your picture of God is starting to feel too good to be true, you're starting to move in the right direction. :candle:

Romeo and Juliet

• 2 months later...
On 1/8/2016 at 1:15 PM, Aubrey said:

I feel very much the same way. We can (and do!) reveal ourselves through our words and actions. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet! To me, it's important to be kind, fair, and just everyday, no matter what name I go by: Daughter, wife, mother, daughter, grand-daughter, sister, aunt, daughter-in-law, friend, parishoner, acquaintance, employer, employee, customer, client...

I chose to remain semi-anonymous here because it allows me to write "aloud" thoughts that I am uncomfortable sharing with every person I know. If confronted, I wouldn't deny what I've shared here, but it's not something I want in the open all of the time. 

Aubrey, if you're covered with the robe of Jesus righteousness and confess with your mouth that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh, He has so many promises to offer you, most of what discomfits you will seem as insignificant compared to the joy in your heart springing out as grace sufficient to meet all your needs. I know you know that and I, like you, prefer to leave  what Christ has buried in the depths of the sea, where they are.

God is Love!~Jesus saves! :D

Lift Jesus up!!

• Moderators

Well this really is my picture...     although my hair is not always so tidy. :scared:    My name is in my profile if anyone really wants to know and quite a few of the old timers here are friends in that great social network outside CA.. 

7 hours ago, Nan said:

Well this really is my picture...     although my hair is not always so tidy. :scared:    My name is in my profile if anyone really wants to know and quite a few of the old timers here are friends in that great social network outside CA.. 

Nan!

As a man who ran a hair salon bed and breakfast in my fantasy world..I can say with great authority That is a wonderful cut and really brings out the nape of the neck!

Simply gorgeous !

Romeo and Juliet