ClubAdventist is back!

Is 2 Corinthians 5:17's "new creation" speaking of the believer?

Robert

1 minute ago, pnattmbtc said:

I've been doing this.

Not concerning the  gospel....You run from it...you deny it, you teach another gospel.  Prove me wrong where the gospel is explained in detail.  Rom chapter 7

3 minutes ago, Robert said:

Do you not know, brothers and sisters—for I am speaking to those who know the law—that the law has authority over someone only as long as that person lives?  .... So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God. For when we were in the realm of the flesh (lost), the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in us, so that we bore fruit for death. But now, by dying (your died in Christ) to what once bound us (the law - see Romans 7:1,4), we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.

What is this?  I mean, obviously it contains things from Romans, but it looks like you must have copied and pasted it.

Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.

3 minutes ago, pnattmbtc said:

It is quite possible that Elder Jones and Waggoner may be overthrown by the temptations of the enemy; but if they should be, this would not prove that they had no message from God, or that the work that they had done was all a mistake. But should this happen, how many would take this position, and enter into a fatal delusion because they are not under the control of the Spirit of God.

No, they had good things to say, but their work isn't to replace honest Bible study.  They weren't the last word.  They didn't have all truth.  Truth is progressive.  So stop wasting my time and go to your Bible....

2 minutes ago, pnattmbtc said:

What is this?  I mean, obviously it contains things from Romans, but it looks like you must have copied and pasted it.

Man, I'm going to bed because all you do is run...ask questions, etc.  You never try to understand what Paul says because it just might prove you wrong...dead wrong.

Not concerning the  gospel....You run from it...you deny it, you teach another gospel.  Prove me wrong where the gospel is explained in detail.  Rom chapter 7

1.I quoted Romans 9:3.  That's concerning the gospel.

2.I quoted Jesus in John 5:39, 40 saying you search the scriptures, thinking to find life in them, but will not come to me that you might have life.

3.I've asked you repeatedly why Jesus said to Nicodemus that one must be born again to obtain eternal life.  You've refused to answer this question, yet I've answered all of yours; haven't ducked any, yet you accuse me of running.

You accuse met of teaching anther gospel, but I'm saying the same thing that Waggoner was, who was the originator of the very ideas you are expressing (after some alterations, but he was the first since Paul to express the corporate concept in this sort of matter; at least that I'm aware of).

We are told by a prophet of God that Waggoner was given a message from God.  The only way I'm preaching another gospel is if he was.

Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.

4 minutes ago, Robert said:

Man, I'm going to bed because all you do is run...ask questions, etc.  You never try to understand what Paul says because it just might prove you wrong...dead wrong.

Why would you write something like this.  I'm sure I've studied much more Paul than you have.  I've written hundreds of pages on Paul. I've studied the original language he wrote in.  There's no call for these sorts of personal attacks.

9 minutes ago, Robert said:

No, they had good things to say, but their work isn't to replace honest Bible study.  They weren't the last word.  They didn't have all truth.  Truth is progressive.  So stop wasting my time and go to your Bible....

Romans 9:3, John 5:39-40, and John 3:14-16 are all Scripture.  I've asked you repeatedly why Jesus told Nicodemus that one must be born again to obtain eternal life.  This is all Scripture.

5 hours ago, pnattmbtc said:

Me quoting Paul: Rom 7:1Do you not know, brothers and sisters—for I am speaking to those who know the law—that the law has authority over someone only as long as that person lives?  .... 

You:  What is this?  I mean, obviously it contains things from Romans....

It's the gospel in a nutshell, pnattmbtc, that's what  it is.

In verse 1, Paul is speaking to the Roman believers, both Jews and Gentiles.  But, here he address the Jews because they understood the demands of the law.

Now note what Paul states: The law has authority over someone only as long as that person lives.  Or as the NKJV puts it, "the law has dominion over a man as long as he lives."

What does the law demand?

Gal 3:12 "the man who does them shall by them live", but (verse 10) "Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the Book of the Law, to do them."

Ellen White: Obey and live: "If a man do, he shall even live in them" (Eze. 20: 11; Lev. 18: 5); but "cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them" (Deut. 27: 26). 

So what Paul is saying is that the law has authority over a person for life.  It says, "Obey and live", "Disobey and die".

Well, there's a problem we are sinners, and the law demands our death. As Paul said, "the commandment, which was to bring life (obey and live), I found to bring death (disobey and die)" Rom 7:10

To remain under law means condemnation and death, the 2nd death. 

So we sinners have a problem.  We have failed to obey the law and  since we are under the dominion of the law we under the sentence of death.  That means no heaven, but instead eternal damnation (the 2nd death).  How can we be delivered from under law?

The answer is the gospel.

13 minutes ago, Robert said:

So we sinners have a problem.  We have failed to obey the law and  since we are under the dominion of the law we under the sentence of death.  That means no heaven, but instead eternal damnation (the 2nd death).  How can we be delivered from under law?

The answer is the gospel.

So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God. 

Instead of doing away with the law, as some theologians do, what God did in Christ was to fulfill the law.  

The law demands the sinners death. So what God did is He placed our corporate, fallen life into Christ and when He died, we died.

"One died for all, therefore all died"  2 Cor 5:14

"We know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be destroyed" Rom 6:6

Since our corporate life (the one we all share with fallen Adam) died in Christ, the law no longer has authority over us and therefore it can't say to us, "obey and live", "disobey and die".  Why?  Because our old life died in Christ and therefore the law is satisfied. 

Does that mean we can live like a devil since we are no longer under law? No!  As we rest in Christ's finished work (of which the Sabbath is a sign) we "bear fruit".  But this is the fruit of the gospel, not the gospel itself.  

But now, by dying (you died in Christ) to what once bound us (the law - see Romans 7:1,4), we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit (the fruits of the gospel), and not in the old way of the written code. (NIV)

Here's the NKJV:   But now we have been delivered from the law, (how?) having died to what we were held by....

When did we die?  We died "In Christ" a little over 2000 years ago. Therefore,  "through one Man’s righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life." Rom 5:18

What are you going to do with this truth, folks? This is the incredible good news of the gospel that sinners have been legally redeemed from under the curse.

Not only have we been redeemed from under the curse, but  "in Christ" we were made obedient.  In Christ our "new creation" was taken to heaven and "in Him" we are blameless before God and His law.

At the 2nd coming the dead will be given their "new creation" and the living will be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, and they too will receive their "new creation" now residing "in Christ Jesus".  

"We are complete in Him" now and in the coming judgment. 

• Tom Wetmore locked this topic