ClubAdventist is back!

question for those more knowledgeable than me

Femster

i tried waking my son up early today ( i mean 11 am is early for him), and he didnt wake properly, and was speaking in a language i couldnt udnerstand, sounded like backwards english.

I am gathering he was in REM sleep and not fully awake, as he rolled over and when strrraight back to sleep, but he tried to answer me on 3 different occasions.

i am gathering everything is OK??? i prayed for him travelling home from town today- some 30 minutes drive.

he has been OK, but a little reserved. he says he doesnt remember it at all.

It's possible he was awakened from deep sleep.  I  had two sons that were almost impossible to wake up.  A lot of it was because when they claimed to be going to bed at 11PM, the went to their rooms and got on their computers until about 4 AM.

If this is the son whom you have discussed before, mental issues (like bipolar) can profoundly disturb one's sleeping patterns.

Thanks for your prayers and messages, Fem.  They have encouraged me.

Yes, this is the son i have had troubles waking before. i think its time he went back to the doctors. although he does say he gets sleepy when reading the bible- maybe thats the cure for this stuff!!!

• Moderators

I am more concerned about his speaking in a language that you did not understand.  This is a symptom that occurs in clinical practice and should be evaluated immediately, in my opinion.

Gregory

• Administrators

Yes, perhaps the language would be a matter of concern. As for trying to wake a teenager, boy or girl, (smile) good luck!!

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

My grandfather, after a serious auto accident that put him into a coma for days, woke up in the hospital semi-conscious and speaking his mother tongue, a language he hadn't used since he was a child.  No one in the hospital could understand him until he was more awake, at which point he could no longer remember his mother tongue, just as before the accident.

When I was in high school, one of the boys in the dormitory touched one of those sensor lamps to turn it on just after he had come in from the shower and was still wet, and got an electric shock.  He was from Spain, where the electricity is all 220 V., and claims he'd been shocked by that before with no harm. But in this case, he went into the fetal position on his bed.  His roommate must have gone quickly to the dean's wife, a nurse, who was soon screaming for help to get the young man from his bunk bed onto the floor.  Others had accomplished that task by the time I got there, and I was just in time to help translate from the young man's native Spanish to English for others to understand him.  When the ambulance arrived, he was still semi-conscious and speaking in Spanish, but had begun to come around.  I remember when they went to move him he protested, saying "¡está bien aquí!"  He didn't want to move!  At that time in America, far fewer people knew Spanish, and I felt good to have learned a little in my class to be able to translate.  

Apparently, when the mind is in a state of shock, another language can take precedence over the one more generally used.

I remember my grandma who came to the US from Italy as a teenager.  When she was around 70, a mouse ran in front of her and scared her so badly she forgot how to speak English for about 30 minutes!  As a kid, I found the situation quite humorous.

FEM - As far as "speaking a different language" when you tried to wake up your son, are you sure it was a different language rather than just gibberish?  I have been awakened abruptly from a sound sleep before and found myself speaking gibberish until I was sufficiently awake to realize that English was my primary language.  When I've abruptly awakened my kids or wife from a deep sleep, they have done the same thing.  Many times when people talk in their sleep, it sounds like gibberish or maybe a prayer language. teehee

• Moderators

The experience that Green mentions with his grandfather is well known in clinical practice.  I once worked with a man who had a similar situation after an auto accident.  However, his experience differed somewhat from what Green describes.  In this situation there would be unexpected times, permanently, when that man would break out into talking in his mother language and he seemed unable to control it.

In my opinion, our ignorance of the human brain is greater than our knowledge of it.   :)

• Like 1

Gregory

thank you all, you have relievd my mind of more worries. anxiety is a curse i am blessed with.

Hoope you all had a Blessed Sabbath