ClubAdventist is back!

2006 Signs of the Times Email Newsletter

Stan

2006 Signs of the Times Email Newsletter

The Signs of the Times newsletter is a collection of stories and quotes from past issues of Signs and These Times.

Little Welsh Mary came to her pastor with the strange question, “Was Jesus a Welshman?”

“What makes you ask such a question?” the good man returned.

“He must be a Welshman, I know,” replied the little girl. “I’m sure of it.”

“Why do you say you are sure of it? How can you know such a thing?” asked the pastor.

“Ah, sir, I know He is a Welshman, because every time I tell Him about my wrongdoing, He says in Welsh, ‘Thy sins be forgiven thee.’ “

The language of the heart is a universal language, and the promise is made to all men everywhere who answer the call of Heaven. “For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.” Acts 2:39.—By H. M. S. Richards, Signs of the Times, December 14, 1920.

Quote: “When we are connected with God’s people to worship and work together, we are in the best company this side of heaven.”—Unknown, Signs of the Times, August 22, 1900.

Don't miss the March 2006 issue of Signs of the Times: “Gambling: Is It Really That Bad?”, “Christ’s Second Coming: A Devastating Surprise?”, “God’s Voice in My Cell” and other important articles. To order Signs, call: 1-800-765-6955 or online at http://www.AdventistBookCenter.com

“Mommy,” asked a little girl one day, “why are your hands so ugly, so red and wrinkled?”

The mother was silent for a moment, and then drawing the little one close in her arms, she said, “Darling, if you must know, I will tell you. One day when you were just a tiny baby, I left you tucked in your crib while I went out into the yard to plant some flowers. After a while I looked toward the house, and to my horror I saw smoke pouring from the open door. Dropping my tools, I rushed toward the door and, fighting my way through the smoke and flames, found you, snatched you up in my arms, and blinded and choking made my way back to the door. My hands and arms were badly burned, but I had saved you, and that was all that mattered.”

There was a long silence, and then the little girl exclaimed, “Oh, Mommy, your hands are the most beautiful hands in all the world!”

When we see Jesus, we shall see the hands that were wounded to save us. Those nail-pierced hands are the only hands that can straighten out our tangled lives and prepare us for a place in that wonderful world of tomorrow. Why not let Him do just that for you?—By Kenneth Lacey, These Times, August 1974.

Quote: “More people are troubled by what is plain in Scripture than by what is obscure.”—By Roy L. Smith, These Times, November 1961.

NEW from Pacific Press—“Smoky, the Ugliest Cat in the World” and other stories about cats compiled by Joe Wheeler. This is a must for all cat lovers. During the month of February it is available at http://www.AdventistBookCenter.com at a 25% discount.

Read more about this book online at http://www.AdventistBookCenter.com Order online or from your local Adventist Book Center--1-800-765-6955.

The mere knowledge of the plan of salvation does not save. Dwight L. Moody, illustrating this, said, “The other day I got on the train at New Haven. A friend, seeing me, said, ‘Going to New York?’ I said, ‘No, to Boston.’ ‘But,’ said my friend, ‘this train is going to New York.’ Now, that,” Mr. Moody said, “was information. It was not conversion.”

Continuing, he said, “When I grabbed my bag and got off that train and took the train going in the opposite direction, that was conversion.” Conversion is to forsake the life of sin and go in the opposite direction to that in which we have been going. “Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, and He will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for He will abundantly pardon.” Isaiah 55:7—By D. H. Kress, Signs of the Times, March 8, 1955.

Quote: “I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go.”—Abraham Lincoln, Signs of the Times, May 17, 1910.

Place this in your church bulletin or newsletter: Sending a subscription to Signs of the Times to a friend is one of the best ways to share your faith. Order from your Adventist Book Center. To order call: 1-800-765-6955 or online at: http://www.AdventistBookCenter.com

A minister once was criticized for continually repeating himself. “I can’t help that,” was his calm defense. “No matter what text I start with, sooner or later it leads me to Jesus Christ.”—By Paul K. Freiwirth, Signs of the Times, February 1, 1955.

Quote: “Nothing but a living, sensible communion with God can displace heaviness from the heart and shed happiness over the life.”—By T. Pearson, Signs of the Times, March 18, 1913.

New from Signs of the Times: Taking a Stand for the Ten Commandments, written by Mark Finley. For a FREE sample copy send your name and mailing address to []becbin@pacificpress.com[/] before February 15, 2006.

I like the story of the little girl and her mother who lived together in a small-town hotel. Each afternoon for about two hours the patient child faithfully practiced the piano in the hotel lobby, much to the annoyance of the other guests who often gathered there.

One day an overnight guest at the hotel heard several people complaining about the irritating monotony of her simple exercises. Without a word the visitor made his way over to the piano and cautiously sat down on the bench beside the little music student. Then slowly he, too, began to play on the same piano with her, weaving around and through those humdrum exercises some great, sublime, and unusual harmonies. Soon surprised guests began to listen to the inspiring music and make their way into the lobby to better enjoy it. The little girl’s feeble efforts had been made glorious by the great musician.

The Master of human life can work around these feeble efforts of ours day by day if we permit Him, weaving His high and holy purposes in and around them so that the final effect of our lives is glorious indeed.—By Kenneth J. Holland, These Times.

Quote: “Like the Lord’s Prayer, the ten commandments give us a wonderful illustration of the power of condensation. These few words cover all the important relations of life. God’s law is the same today: His rewards are as sure as they were in the days of old.”—W. J. Bryan, These Times, July 1961.

Read select articles from past issues of Signs of the Times at: http://www.SignsTimes.com

Because Charles H. Spurgeon, one of the worlds’ greatest preachers, could not put his finger on a definite day or date for his new birth, which occurred in early youth or childhood, a certain contentious man assured him that he had never been born again. He claimed that an experience such as he himself had gone through was the necessary “birth certificate” of a child of God, and that anyone who did not have this so-called “birth certificate,” and could not vividly remember the very instant of conversion was not born again.

But Spurgeon, the man of God, replied: “Years ago I was born as a baby into this world, and my birth certificate was lost, or nobody took time to make one. Therefore I suppose you would contend that I have never been born and do not exist.”

Of course the other brother admitted that Spurgeon had certainly at one time been born—his presence in the world proved it. “And so,” concluded the great preacher, “does a man’s true Christian experience now prove that he has been born again, even though he may not always be able to put his finger on the date when it occurred.” “By their fruits ye shall know them.” Matthew 7:20. The old orchard test still holds good.—By H. M. S. Richards, Signs of the Times, October 20, 1942.

Quote: “Do you converse about spiritual things as easily and readily as you do about temporal things? We talk freely about those things we are familiar with, which most occupy our minds.”—Unknown, Signs of the Times, May 2, 1900.

Compiled by Dale Galusha. Please pass this newsletter on to others.

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com