ClubAdventist is back!

Desmond Doss Feature Film

Stan

Army medic inspires film

Schenkkan has been hired to write the screenplay

Philip Anschutz's Bristol Bay Prods. will finance and co-produce a feature based on the WWII saga of Desmond T. Doss, an Army medic who won the Congressional Medal of Honor despite refusing to carry weapons.

Doss project will be produced by Bill Mechanic and David Permut, who have developed it for several years, and Terry Benedict. Steve Longi will co-produce, Gregory Crosby will associate produce, and Bristol Bay exec VP Lenny Kornberg will oversee the project.

Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Robert Schenkkan, who penned "The Quiet American," has been hired to write the screenplay.

Doss, a Seventh Day Adventist, was assigned "conscientious objector" status on religious grounds after being drafted and was ostracized by fellow soldiers for his pacifist stance. During the battle of Okinawa, Doss saved 75 men under enemy fire on a 400-foot-high cliff and subsequently became the only conscientious objector ever to win the Congressional Medal of Honor.

A producer on "Ray" and "Sahara," Bristol Bay is part of Anschutz Film Group along with Walden Media, which co-financed and produced "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" with Disney.

Mechanic and his Pandemonium shingle are producers on Paramount's "Torso" and on the animated pic "Coraline." Permut and his Permut Presentation are producing teen comedy "Youth in Revolt" for Dimension and "Brother Sam" at Universal.

SOURCE

Here is the untold story

Here is the photo of Gregory Crosby (the named associate producer) Desmond and myself just after Desmond consented to having this done.

(Gregory is the eldest Grandchild of the late Bing Crosby)

[]http://adventistforum.com/Gregory-Desmond-Stan.jpg[/]

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

Doesn't it strike you as slightly incongruous that Desmond was a CO because he believed the SDA church did not support SDA as combatants,

and now the NAD SDA actively support combatant SDA.

There has been a definite changing of standards here. The SDA denomination was either wrong then or now. Which is it?

/Bevin

MY PERSONAL opinion is that we are to join the army, all of us, of the country where we hold our citizenship.

My citizenship is in heaven, I choose to join the Lord's Army.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord

• Moderators

Hallelujah, Stan! You're a wizard!

This should be a v-e-r-y important movie.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

• Moderators

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

bevin said:

Doesn't it strike you as slightly incongruous that Desmond was a CO because he believed the SDA church did not support SDA as combatants,

and now the NAD SDA actively support combatant SDA.

There has been a definite changing of standards here. The SDA denomination was either wrong then or now. Which is it?

/Bevin

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

Those days it was different -- all able-bodied men were DRAFTED

into military service when they turned 18 (or when they got out of college). So, knowing each man would have to make a decision to train with weapons, the church actively fostered noncombatancy status. (And I think that's still the official SDA position -- not to bear arms.)

But today's military is all Voluntary. There's no way a man who signs up voluntarily would be able to say he refused to bear arms. So now, the church just comes to the aid of those who wish to try for a non-com status, though these are few and far between.

Quote:

bevin said:

/Bevin

For the 3 1/2 years or thereabouts, Judas walked with Jesus, presumably as a faithful disciple. During the major part of that time, Jesus never made effort to find discrepancies in Judas' walk with Him that would prove Judas

to be a wolf in sheeps' clothing, until the very last part of His ministry when remarks were made by Jesus that would later prove to all that Jesus was not taken by surprise by His betrayer.

Bevin, I'm wondering which one of those two you enjoy emulating?

[:"red"] "Love.....is ever ready to believe the best of every person.... " [/] 1 Corinthians 13:7

[:"red"] "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." [/]

John 13:35 KJV

[:"red"] "But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you.." [/] Matthew 5:44 KJV

DOVE.gif

Lift Jesus up!!

Quote:

Stan Jensen said:

My citizenship is in heaven, I choose to join the Lord's Army.

I found both your's and Jeannie's observations excellent. Both added strength to my own decision to never use force of arms to destroy another's hope for their own future.

[:"red"] "What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?" [/]

Romans 8:31 KJV

DOVE.gif

Lift Jesus up!!

• Moderators

I think that Doss was a non-com. because that was what he beleived, not that the SDA Church would not support him. Yes, by the way, I have had personal contact with him for days at a time.

The SDA Chruch has never taken a uniform stand on this issue. Today in Germany, the stand is much stricter. In the time of EGW, the church in Scandanavia was different from what it was in the US.

What most of you refer to as the Chruch stand is actually more a North American Division stand. Today, that stand is a recommendation to be a non-com., but that is not a matter for Chruch discipline, and is up the individual conscience.

Yes, the position today in the USA differs from what it was in the days of Doss.

Gregory

• 1 month later...

Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient, Desmond Doss, succumbs

Desmond T. Doss, Sr., has died at 87 years of age. He was the only

conscientious objector to receive the Congressional Medal of Honor

during World War II and a long-time member of the Georgia-Cumberland

Conference of Seventh-day Adventists.

Doss passed away Thursday morning, March 23, 2006, at his residence in

Piedmont, Alabama. He is survived by his wife Frances, his son, Desmond

T. Doss, Jr., and his brother, Harold Doss. He was preceded in death by

his first wife Dorothy Schutte and his sister Audrey Millner.

Doss never liked being called a conscientious objector. He preferred

the term conscientious cooperator. Raised a Seventh-day Adventist, Doss

did not believe in using a gun or killing because of the sixth

commandment which states, "Thou shalt not kill" (Exodus 20:13). Doss

was a patriot however, and believed in serving his country.

During World War II, instead of accepting a deferment, Doss voluntarily

joined the Army as a conscientious objector. Assigned to the 307th

Infantry Division as a company medic he was harassed and ridiculed for

his beliefs, yet he served with distinction and ultimately received the

Congressional Medal of Honor on October 12, 1945 for his fearless acts

of bravery.

According to his Medal of Honor citation, time after time, Doss'

fellow soldiers witnessed how unafraid he was for his own safety. He was

always willing to go after a wounded fellow, no matter how great the

danger. On one occasion in Okinawa, he refused to take cover from enemy

fire as he rescued approximately 75 wounded soldiers, carrying them

one-by-one and lowering them over the edge of the 400-foot Maeda

Escarpment. He did not stop until he had brought everyone to safety

nearly 12 hours later.

When Doss received the Medal of Honor from President Truman, the

President told him, "I'm proud of you, you really deserve this. I

consider this a greater honor than being President."

Doss' exemplary devotion to God and his country has received

nationwide attention. On July 4, 2004, a statue of Doss was placed in

the National Museum of Patriotism in Atlanta, Ga., along with statues of

Dr. Martin Luther King, President Jimmy Carter, and retired Marine Corps

General Gray Davis, also a Medal of Honor recipient. Also in 2004, a

feature-length documentary called "The Conscientious Objector,"

telling Doss' story of faith, heroism, and bravery was released. A

feature movie describing Doss' story is also being planned.

Statement from the Seventh-day Adventist Church in North America

"The Seventh-day Adventist Church in North America expresses its

deepest sorrow in the loss of Desmond Doss. Desmond is considered to be

a role model - especially to many of our members in the Seventh-day

Adventist Church. His decision to not bear arms in the most dangerous of

times was a courageous and heroic decision that has in turn affected

many lives. We are proud to have had Desmond as a member of our

Church." - Pastor Don Schneider, President of the Seventh-day

Adventist Church in North America

• Administrators

The world and our church has lost a great man.

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

• Moderators

I was a conscientious objector in the US Army and served as a medic attached to an airborne unit during the Vietnam war. I refused to train with or use a weapon. Desmond Doss was always a hero in my thinking. I was privileged to hear and meet him personally at the Loma Linda Hill Church about a year ago.

I don't believe that the current position of the SDA church in supporting SDA as combatants is right. How can God be pleased to see SDA in the US possibly shooting at and killing SDA in other armies? Or "Christians" in the military of one country at war with Christians in another country? I can't believe such a practice and view is according to God's will or plan.

I believe the Jehovah's Witness are correct in believing they should be neutral in all these conflicts and should not serve in any capacity at all that serves the war effort. On this issue they are more in line with what the Bible teaches. Jim

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

Doss' bravery in saving those men was incredible. His selfless attention to the lives of his fellow soldiers should be a powerful example to everyone.

Quote:

I believe the Jehovah's Witness are correct in believing they should be neutral in all these conflicts and should not serve in any capacity at all that serves the war effort. On this issue they are more in line with what the Bible teaches. Jim

Actually war and killing are in line with what the Bible teaches. After God said "Thou shalt not kill," he told his children to go kill everyone in their way. He even told them to kill babies and children. He told them to attack and destroy cities and towns killing every living thing in them. When Saul spared the lives of some animals and people in a war, he was cursed for not killing them.

• Moderators

Oops! Sorry. I posted the news in Obituaries. Forgot to look here for the news.

• Moderators

Quote:

Friend said:

Doss' bravery in saving those men was incredible. His selfless attention to the lives of his fellow soldiers should be a powerful example to everyone.

Quote:

Actually war and killing are in line with what the Bible teaches. After God said "Thou shalt not kill," he told his children to go kill everyone in their way. He even told them to kill babies and children. He told them to attack and destroy cities and towns killing every living thing in them. When Saul spared the lives of some animals and people in a war, he was cursed for not killing them.

War and killing are not in line with what God wants the people of God today to be taking part in. God's will is not for His followers to take up weapons and take human lives. Those are Satan's tactics, not Jehovah's. Nations may take up arms to defend themselves, but Christians are not to be part of warfare against other nations or against other Christians. Christ is our role model and I can't imagine Christ taking up a rifle or any other military weapon for the purpose of killing someone. The New Testament says, "If anyone slays with the sword, with the sword must he be slain." (Rev. 13:10) Also, "Love your enemies." Also, "Do good to them that hate you." And, "You have heard that it was said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth, but I say to you, Do not resist the evil man who injures you but if any one strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other one too."

It's the god of this world, not Jesus Christ, who gets his followers to kill each other. There is absolutely nothing in the book of Revelation, or in any other part of the New Testament, indicating that God's will is for His people to use weapons to kill people. Jim

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Moderators

Quote:

Friend said:

After God said "Thou shalt not kill," he told his children to go kill everyone in their way. He even told them to kill babies and children. He told them to attack and destroy cities and towns killing every living thing in them. When Saul spared the lives of some animals and people in a war, he was cursed for not killing them.

As you will see in most modern translations, the law actually reads, "You shall not murder," there being a big difference between murder and killing.

And yes, although it is true that God once did tell people to kill, I don't know of any stable, sane people today who believe that God is commanding them to go kill. God had a good reason for doing what He did during the time of Moses, but if you read what Jesus said about 2,000 years ago, He told us to behave very differently. Read the Sermon on the Mount. Matthew there portrays Jesus Christ as the new law giver. But will we obey His commandments? Jim