ClubAdventist is back!

How do you treat GLBT?

Gail

• Administrators

I would like to keep this thread on topic as much as possible.

How do you personally treat people of the GLBT community? 

Please use "I" language. You can state reasons for your actions but no blaming. What I am looking for is honest self-reflection.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Members

I don't want to sound maudlin, but I treat the lesbian and gay community in general as though they are family — because they *are* family.  I have a number of cousins who are homosexual.  I can't imagine treating them differently than any other cousin.  I've never had bisexual or transgender relatives, that I know of.  I imagine I'd look askance at the transgenders because it would be weird to know a cousin as "John" and then have him become a "Joanna."  As for those who are bisexual, I'm of the personal opinion that, if they are inclined to have sexual intercourse, they probably ought to be choosing one person from the opposite sex and be monogamous.  But that's only my opinion, and naturally is not binding on anyone.

Basically, I feel that when a behavior doesn't hurt the person, and when it hurts nobody else, then it's not my business to condemn, point fingers, or otherwise judge the motive, spirituality, or sinfulness of a person.   That doesn't mean I want to hang out with just anybody.  There're mean and ornery LGBTs, just like there are mean and ornery straight people.  I don't much care for mean and ornery people, and will avoid them.

That said, I *do* get annoyed with "Gay Pride" parades.  The gay people I know are not militant, but the ones in the parades and demonstrations tend to be militant and "in your face."  I don't appreciate that, and I think they're a bad reflection on the gay population.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Administrators

Thanks for mentioning that you have gays in the family. I could have easily included asking that in the OP

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

I have one aunt, that I know of, out of a family of 13! I have worked with GLBT on a daily basis for a long, long, long time. They are people just like me, so I treat them as any other person I may associate with.

• Like 2

I'm with CoA and Pam on this.  Throughout life, I have had gay and straight friends.  I have had disabled and able-bodied friends.  I have had white friends and friends of color.  In 65 years, I have learned that there are pleasant people and unpleasant people in every group.  I try to treat everyone the same (obviously in the concentric circles of trust there are some I am closer to than others.  For instance, I try to treat my wife with more love, honor and respect than I do my female associates at work). I'm not always successful.

One thing I must say about my gay friends is that they have always treated my heterosexuality with respect.  I have never had any of them overtly "hit" on me.  By the same token, I never treat their homosexuality as evil or deviant.  I know what they are and they know what I am.  It never seems to get in the way of the friendship; so why bring it up?

• Like 2

• Moderators

I was going to say 'I don't see sexuality', but I think that's a bit like 'I don't see skin colour', in that it can lead to blindness to our own privilege. 

I have quite a few gay friends, and they're friends first. They're whole people with complex sets of qualities, of which their sexuality is only one, and often not the most important. 

I'm an ally to people who face challenges due to attitudes on the part of others, whether that be due to age, social class, gender, race, height, sexuality or anything else. I realise that I have it easy and others have it harder, and that's not their fault. 

• Like 3

Truth is important

• Administrators

How do I treat GLBT's ? I have had friends who were gay, coworkers and those who have requested Bible studies.  I honestly believe that I treat them the same as any other person with whom I come into contact.  To my knowledge I have no relatives who were a part of the GLBT community/persuasion.

Inside, I have strong emotional scars; a husband who only bothered to come out after numerous distasteful incidents.  A very close friend who in the 70ties was one of the first to be diagnosed with HIV and subsequently died. 

• Like 2

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

• Members
2 hours ago, Kevin(wrx) said:

If a person were to post that they are a professional wedding cake maker and refused service to a gay... couple, what would be the response here?

You pose a very good question. I for one would say you did the right thing according to your conscience & belief, but you might want to see what the law has to say about it! Does it go against your principals??

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Administrators
16 hours ago, Kevin(wrx) said:

If a person were to post that they are a professional wedding cake maker and refused service to a gay... couple, what would be the response here?

This thread is "baiting" which is why I haven't responded.

This topic WAS discussed at some length.

In any case we are called to show mercy. James 2:13, HCSB, says that, "mercy triumphs over judgment."

Pastor Harold shows why WE need to get this lesson and we need to show mercy to those who have been oppressed here:

We need to show compassion for our own conversion 

He relates a story of a gay person's experience in one of his former churches. But I like the message: God wants us to show compassion to others because doing so converts us to love as God loves.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gail said:

This topic WAS discussed at some length.

In any case we are called to show mercy. James 2:13, HCSB, says that, "mercy triumphs over judgment."

Pastor Harold shows why WE need to get this lesson and we need to show mercy to those who have been oppressed here:

We need to show compassion for our own conversion 

He relates a story of a gay person's experience in one of his former churches. But I like the message: God wants us to show compassion to others because doing so converts us to love as God loves.

There is a minister Herb Montgomery speaking to a  SDA Kinship ( queer affirming SDA group) Event.

Whose sermon was basically about God is always on the side of the oppressed.

God is on the side of the Queers being oppressed.

God is also on the side of Christians being oppressed by the Queers.

The line moves back and forth always coming close to the misunderstood,brokenhearted, and hurt!

Ahhhmazing GOD!

Pastor Harold is a  love succinct wordsmith!

I covet that ability in a forum such as this!

We are worse than we think!

GOD is better than we think!

For all Eternity God waited in anticipation for  You  to show up to give You a Message - YOUR INCLUDED !!! { a merry dance }?️‍?

" If you tarry 'til you're better
You will never come at all "   .. "I Will Rise" by the late great saved  Glen Campbell

If your picture of God is starting to feel too good to be true, you're starting to move in the right direction. :candle:

"My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
The more I have, for both are infinite."

Romeo and Juliet

• Administrators

It can be flipped, true, but who are the ones who are called by Jesus to take up their cross daily? The Christians are to have persecution and "count it all joy". This world is not our home.

If the bakers stood up for their beliefs and were persecuted for them then their reward is waiting for them. Those who oppress have no such reward from whatever side they are on. If they are without Christ then this world is the best they will ever have. And even then we are to treat them well, for we are to love even our enemies.

• Like 4

• Members

I don't want to see this thread get knocked over into another gays vs bakery debate.  The fact is, the bakery didn't abide by the law.  If you own a public business, then you must serve the public according to the laws, regardless of someone's sexual orientation.  (But the Oregon lesbian couple only pursued the issue to make an example of the bakery.  They could easily have gone to another bakery — there are a number of award-winning bakeries that would have been happy for the business.) 

• Like 1

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

6 minutes ago, Kevin(wrx) said:

And obey a Sunday Blu Law too?

Why not,if it is the law?

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

I realize that there are some Christians who hate gays. This is wrong. 

And some gays, through legislation. insist that others accept their lifestyle.  This is also wrong.

• Like 3

I feel strongly both ways on this.  The question for this thread could have just as easily been "How do you treat other humans?"  On the other hand, there are people on this forum who have treated at least one gay person on this forum with distain.  There are also people who have treated the alleged "gay-bashers" with distain.  I personally don't think the ageless debate over gays will not be solved on this forum.  I personally think the discussion about gays should "die" for a while.  It's getting too personal and personally offensive for some people

3 minutes ago, JoeMo said:

I personally don't think the ageless debate over gays will not be solved on this forum.  I personally think the discussion about gays should "die" for a while. 

I agree...

Besides, why is this such a hot topic?  I just don't get it.

I think here Jesus is our example, Gail. The sinners flocked around Christ, but the self-righteous stood at a distance.  But we shouldn't confuse Christ's love of sinners with His acceptance of sin as a lifestyle, whatever that sin may be.  E.G., Jesus saved the woman caught  in adultery from the self-righteous Pharisees,  but He also directed her to leave her life of adultery.

• Administrators

And Jesus is still doing that... Sometimes people want to do that job for Him.

7 minutes ago, Gail said:

And Jesus is still doing that... Sometimes people want to do that job for Him.

Christians who have tasted and saw the Lord is good understands how they were and are personally wooed by HIM.

Courted!

Jesus pronounced non condemnation on the lady caught in adultery.

If we be HIS hands and feet....

We will usher in The Kingdom!

I think many in the LGBT community will be won over to HIS SIDE!

Wooed by us       !

the GOSPEL in Action!

woohoo!

For all Eternity God waited in anticipation for  You  to show up to give You a Message - YOUR INCLUDED !!! { a merry dance }?️‍?

You will never come at all "   .. "I Will Rise" by the late great saved  Glen Campbell

If your picture of God is starting to feel too good to be true, you're starting to move in the right direction. :candle:

Romeo and Juliet

25 minutes ago, Kevin(wrx) said:

Even to receive the mark of the beast?

Well,each incident that has involved gays/lesbians and christian businesses have had the businesses criticized for trying to deny civil rights to gays /lesbians. When the woman refused to sign a marriage license for a lesbian couple she was ridiculed and treated with contempt pretty soundly on this forum as well as by the media. After all the life she led prior to being converted was enough proof she was a self righteous hypocrite. 

The big sin I see here is that those opposed to gay/lesbian lifestyle/gay marriage  are judgemental and unloving. Obviously the actions of those that level these accusations and "judgements" have the divine right to do so.

If it weren't for those unloving christians that believe it wrong,everything would be right in the homosexual world. 

Maybe the question could be asked in fairness how do we treat those that believe the bible when it says it is wrong.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

I dont personally believe scripture is so mysterious that issues that are clearly stated as crucial to our salvation cannot be easily understood. Nor do I believe that the 16 ? different perceptions are going to hold much importance to God when that time comes as it will for all of us. Nor will it do much for us to explain that  our sin, whatever that may be really isnt the issue.

16 minutes ago, Kevin(wrx) said:
17 minutes ago, Kevin(wrx) said:

And no, I am not singling out just homosexuality but am against allowing the acceptance of any sin inside the Church.

I havent read everything but last I looked it was not you singling out homosexuality. That is generally one person that singles out that topic with what seems like the intent to smear as unchristian those that dont buy into "as yet it is so complicated it isnt biblically clear"

And no, I am not singling out just homosexuality but am against allowing the acceptance of any sin inside the Church.

So noble...but actions speak louder than disclaimers.....:pontificator:

30 minutes ago, CoAspen said:

Gail, you tried! Obviously it is not how we treat others, all others..... but about the sins of others.

:( CoAspen,

Been going on in for thousands of years :sad:

Luke 7:39

Now when the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, “If this man were a prophet, he would have known who and what sort of woman this is who is touching him, for she is a sinner.”

me reading further... God was gracious to the accuser too!

:D

How we treat the sinner trumps how and what the sins are on both sides!

Thank you CoAspen for working the cogs!

Romeo and Juliet