ClubAdventist is back!

Easter and the Christian

Just had an argument with wife (she believes in Christ, not SDA)

my youngest son saw her putting an Easter egg in his bedroom and he came and asked me if the Easter bunny is real.

previously I have said "ask mum"..... I am known to my children as always telling the truth, and last night (whether from God or myself) thought, how can our children trust us when we say Jesus is real when we (in this case my wife) sets out to actively deceive them in a fairy tale.

the younger years are the most critical for children's growth in the faith.

now this thread is not to invoke a heated discussion about "pagan festival" ect - it is just to hopefully help others going through the same thing. 

If you want to watch a good film about the detrimental effects of sugar "that sugar film", I guess it didn't help that I had just watched it with the wife a few days before :D

• Administrators

You are not the only one that has pondered that!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Members
12 hours ago, chrysalis said:

Just had an argument with wife (she believes in Christ, not SDA)

my youngest son saw her putting an Easter egg in his bedroom and he came and asked me if the Easter bunny is real.

previously I have said "ask mum"..... I am known to my children as always telling the truth, and last night (whether from God or myself) thought, how can our children trust us when we say Jesus is real when we (in this case my wife) sets out to actively deceive them in a fairy tale.

the younger years are the most critical for children's growth in the faith.

now this thread is not to invoke a heated discussion about "pagan festival" ect - it is just to hopefully help others going through the same thing. 

If you want to watch a good film about the detrimental effects of sugar "that sugar film", I guess it didn't help that I had just watched it with the wife a few days before :D

Believing in Christ or SDA, should have nothing to do with accepting an Easter Bunny! When my daughter was growing up, we did do the EB thing, but I always told her it had nothing to do with Christ, his death and resurrection. Now I tell my grand children the same thing.

• Like 3

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Moderators

In my home we were always raised not to believe that Santa or the Easter Bunny were actual beings, but as symbols for the season. Santa was the easiest for us because being Norwegian we also have Jul Nissen. They were seen as symbols of the giving spirit the joy of the season etc. Because of this I have never had the disappointment of "No Santa" and Santa has always retained that special magic. I see like the polar express and feel sad for that right of passage for so many children. There is an honest way of sharing these. Granted the Easter Bunny was more down played at home. And I always had a problem with the Easter egg hunts because the  coaching "you're getting warmer/colder" I took too concretely, I always wanted to be just comfortably  warm, not too hot nor too cold....:rollingsmile:

• Like 3

• Administrators

We, as Kevin described in his home, were not raised to believe in Santa or the Easter Bunny.  They were only symbols.  My children were not raised to believe in them.  It was not an issue, except when one of my daughters shared with her entire kindergarten class that they were not real.  Parents were not happy about her revelation to their children.  teehee 

• Like 2

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

We never tried to get our kids to believe in an Easter Bunny or Santa Claus, either, although we did hide plastic eggs filled with candy as a kind of treasure hunt. Not good if parents are not on the same page. I suppose the kids will sort it out, but eventually they will understand that the ruse was done in fun. It does seen like a dirty trick, though, to lie to gullible little kids.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

• Members

To me, the Easter bunny was just a cute little rabbit who came around once a year, and was the reason for some fun.

I never ever questioned that Santa Claus wasn't real when I was little...  When I found out otherwise, I was disappointed, but it didn't cause a psychological catastrophe, nor did it make me not trust my parents.  My Dad played Santa Claus at Christmastime to kids at school and to patients in hospitals.  He did that for church Christmas functions as well, and everyone loved it....until someone got uptight and complained that my Dad was promoting heathenism.  So *that* ended the service my father thought he was providing.  Dad was crestfallen, but considered it as another thing that the church folks were misunderstanding.

• Like 2

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

13 hours ago, Aliensanctuary said:

We never tried to get our kids to believe in an Easter Bunny or Santa Claus, either, although we did hide plastic eggs filled with candy as a kind of treasure hunt. Not good if parents are not on the same page. I suppose the kids will sort it out, but eventually they will understand that the ruse was done in fun. It does seen like a dirty trick, though, to lie to gullible little kids.

:) ya, its not good when parents are not on the same page, i don't think i would object to having some sort of celebration.

my main points being that if we lie to our children - how can they then believe us when we talk about Christ.

we are to be Christ-like and uphold the statues of Christ's principles, a few of them specifically talk about lying and deceiving, how much worse is it when we do it to children - especially children that believe in Christ!!!!

hmmmm didn't realise how focused i am on this - forgive me, not wanting to start a heated discussion :)