ClubAdventist is back!

Supernatural

Gail

• Administrators

Is something supernatural sometimes because we just don't have the technology to understand it yet?

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Moderators

Often thought to be supernatural simply because we do not understand it.

Gregory

• Members

Agreed.  Reminds me of stories about time travel where modern inventions, such as a flashlight, completely flummoxed people who'd never seen such.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Moderators

Robert:

Your understanding of where scientists are is False.

Scientists are still learning in attempts to explain what they do not know.

Gregory

• Members

betcha the video gets deleted (this is original thoughts forum)

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Administrators

Rob, you are NOT allowed to quote! Leave that button alone!!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

There- fixed! Tom will be so proud! :) 

• Like 3

• Moderators

"There are some things that we used to think are supernatural that we now explain scientifically" does not necessarily logically imply that "everything we now think of as supernatural will eventually be explained scientifically".

Although... if angels and higher dimensions and God's power are explained by higher level scientific rules that we have not yet understood, maybe the second is the case?

It depends on what we mean by 'supernatural', and what we mean by 'science'.

I'm very happy to accept, though, that discovering that some things thought to be supernatural, like thunder and lightning, actually have natural explanations does not mean everything supernatural does. 

• Like 2

Truth is important

• Administrators

I like the notion of science of the supernatural or maybe supernatural science. I think it was the Discovery Channel that once had a program focusing not he idea of naturally occurring phenomena that could have caused the plagues in Egypt.  I thought it rather intriguing to consider, although a good friend that has a more conservative/traditional religious perspective found it troubling.  I think he was disturbed by the impression of thing way the mystery or miraculous nature of God's actions in bringing about those plagues.  I didn't see it as diminishing God's power or ability or the miraculous nature of His intervention.  To me it tends dot reinforce the awesomeness of God to be able to manipulate natural laws and control nature in a very precise and skillful ways to achieve His purposes.  Nothing is impossible for God. He just has supernatural science and technology.  It is sort of like being able to master some amazing skills to harness technology or even achieve ever higher achievements in the many activities of life.  There was a time when mankind thought it impossible to travel faster than whatever was the fastest thing of time, a galloping horse. Or that we couldn't travel faster than the speed of sound. There were even scientific theories that it would do great physical harm for the human body to be subjected to greater speed.  But we know even consider speed of light travel theoretically possible.  

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

For scientific purposes, something that cannot be (even theoretically) demonstrated in a laboratory experiment can be  deemed "supernatural" - at least until it can be demonstrated in a laboratory or observed without bias in nature.

I just finished reading "A Brief History of Time" and "The universe in a Nutshell" by Steven Hawking.  He even admits to this.  He states that we will never know the "initial conditions" of the creation of the universe (i.e., spontaneous "big bang" or divine creation); because in either case, time did not exist; nor did the currently recognized laws of physics exist prior to the "big bang"/creation.  His math demonstrates that the same will hold true inside a black hole, or if the universe re-collapsed upon itself (in approx. 25 billion years).

Maybe in a metaphysical sense.  Referencing Hawking again, he postulates than travel at or above the speed of light is still impossible; although it may appear that it occurs if one were to enter a wormhole that took a "straight line" through the space-time  continuum rather than along the curved surface of the universe defined by the general theory of relativity when combined with quantum mechanics.  Also, travel at the speed of light would "stop" the advance of time for the traveler; or take the observer backwards in time if he travelled above the speed of light.

Of course, theory in science is kinda like prophecy in religion.  There will be doubts and differences until a theory is proven through experiment or observation or a prophecy is proven by its fulfillment.

Edited by Gail
*Sorry, Joe- remember where you are!! Gail

• Administrators

The fact that you read and understood Stephen Hawking is impressive!!

Great comments, everybody!!

• Administrators

The supernatural- the one place where science does not reign. I like the largeness of the thought! Man is not supreme after all!