ClubAdventist is back!

Ponderous pondering...

Gail

• Administrators

I ran this by someone earlier today but would like to read your thoughts:

I find that when I am with people who are my friends and who are friendly to me, ESPECIALLY if they are godly friends, then I am far less tempted to sin. I am more at peace and relaxed and often after a nice time together I am even strengthened for my regular routine and its challenges.

Does anyone else have the same experience? The battle against sinful tendencies is hard enough on one's own but how wonderful and powerful are kind words!

It makes me wonder if heaven is like that.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

Absolutely agree!!   I often wonder what attraction there is with ungodly friends.  Their interest are usually contrary to our interest, even their language.  As for being more relaxed after being in the company of Christians, I believe that it is because it is so nice to have fun, laugh, relax and know that it is good clean fun that we could invite our Lord to join in .... and that has to carry out in our routine when we are alone.   

Heaven would be the same train-wreck that we have here if sinful natures are allowed  .... thoughts are things, words are thoughts brought to fruition.

• Like 2

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

• Moderators

What does it mean to be in the world, but not of the world?

To what extent, and to whom, will we be an effective witness if we do not have any friends who are not converted, godly people?

• Like 2

Gregory

• Administrators

That would be an extreme, wouldn't it? I would view it as such, although not everyone agrees with me there.

My feeling was that in heaven no one will tempt me to rebel against God. Here, even our most godly acquaintances still have that possibility because temptation is not all external but a lot internal. And because they are still imperfect.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

This had never occurred to me before. I have always had more friends outside of the faith than in it, as well as some from other denominations.

But the other day, after a visit with joyous fellow believers, I realised how happy I was to be in their company. It was a peaceful place, a sort of respite from the negative so prevalent out there today.

• Like 3

• Administrators

In no way was I intimating that I do not associate with those of other denominations or unchurched.  However, for those friends with whom I consider close friends I find most often they are of the same faith.  It is just more relaxing, easier to share and communicate 

• Like 2

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

Interestingly, I feel the complete opposite when I am with god-minded friends. I feel less at ease and more guarded--as if every act, word and deed *may* be judged as inappropriate. Further, I feel as if they feel the same--guarded and less *real*. I am more interested in what happens on page 157 than the cover of the book or the author bio. 

• Like 2

• Members

I agree with Aubrey.  Sometimes Christians come across as phony (which may or may not be how they really are).  For example, if people are "happy and rejoicing" all the time, how can they relate to someone going through turmoil and anguish?  

So, while I prefer someone who's *not* a churchian, I don't want to be around mean people or those whose language is straight out of the gutter.

• Like 2

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

I can be comfortable with both....as long as they are 'real'. Since I lived in several SDA areas growing up, I became very suspicious of 'piety'. Now I will grant you that sounds like I am being judgemental, but it is just my sense in some situations and does not impact my friendship. I have always gravitated towards those on the 'fringe' because of they seemed more normal! Weird.

I find respect with others towards different lifestyles. Do not feel compelled more or less to do something I feel is wrong. Just my independence in wanting to be my own judge of the situation.

Everyone is different!!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I have started a chat session with my neighbor women.  No agenda, just get to know the ladies around my home.  There are about 9 who are home in the daytime and they all have come at least once.  It is just for an hour, and we just plan when the next one will be, otherwise we get to know each other better. 

We have had only been together 4 times but I can see one day someone will need something that we can help them with, or they may show an interest in something that I know about and can direct them in the right way.  However, I don't want to run it with proselytizing in mind.