ClubAdventist is back!

Passover

phkrause

• Members

10 Things to Know about Passover

Each Spring, people around the world celebrate the Passover holiday. They will sit down for a Passover meal known as a seder, with small book known as a hagaddah, describing the rituals and blessing of the meal, and telling the great story of the journey from slavery in Egypt to freedom in the Promised Land. Here are ten things to know about Passover. If you’d like to know more or have questions comments, feel free to leave them below (and don’t miss the free gift at the end)!

Read more at http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Galleries/10-Things-to-Know-about-Passover.aspx

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Members

What Is Chametz?

By Yehuda Shurpin

The Very Short Answer

Chametz is any food product made from wheat, barley, rye, oats or spelt that has come into contact with water and been allowed to ferment and “rise.”

http://www.chabad.org/holidays/passover/pesach_cdo/aid/1742/jewish/What-Is-Chametz.htm

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Members

The Seder Service in a Nutshell

A quick, one-page overview of the Passover Meal’s steps

http://www.chabad.org/holidays/passover/pesach_cdo/aid/1751/jewish/The-Seder-in-a-Nutshell.htm

phkrause

Peter, I do read what you post referring to Jewish customs in general. But I tend to just consume without a comment. It's a pity that I am so negligent to show my appreaciation for all the teachings on the Jewish ways of life you've been posting. I search for meaning in a deeper way of our Christian symbolism that originated in the Hebrew community.

There is so much in Ask The Rabbi that has taught me a lot. And now your link to that great page offering much knowledge and teaching on the Seder celebration made me happy. Thanks a lot.

• Members

aka, have you ever read the book "Our Father Abraham: Jewish Roots of the Christian Faith,"by Marvin R. Wilson? Its an excellent book.

phkrause

• Members
15 hours ago, aka said:

No, but I would like to read it. The title is very promising.

I have to do some checking around on how to buy it.

Barnes and Nobles

phkrause

• Members

The Last Two Days of Passover In a Nutshell

What and How We Celebrate

By Menachem Posner

The seventh and eighth days of Passover are celebrated as Yom Tov, holidays, capping the weeklong celebration that begins with the first Seder. In Israel, only the seventh day is celebrated (you can read up on why that is so here). In Hebrew, the last two days are known as Shvii shel Pesach (Seventh of Passover) and Acharon shel Pesach (Last of Passover), respectively.

http://www.chabad.org/holidays/passover/pesach_cdo/aid/2748528/jewish/The-Last-Two-Days-of-Passover-In-a-Nutshell.htm

phkrause

• Members

Why Is Matzah So Bland?

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/3309015/jewish/Why-Is-Matzah-So-Bland.htm

Personally I like the taste of Matzah!! Doesn't taste bland to me at all!!

phkrause

• Members

Sefirat HaOmer

Counting of the Omer

Introduction

“When you take this people out of Egypt,” said G‑d to Moses when He revealed Himself to him in a burning bush at the foot of Mount Sinai, “you shall serve G‑d on this mountain.”

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/130631/jewish/Sefirat-HaOmer.htm

phkrause

To loose weight a bit I stopped eating bread. Therefore I only use Matzah slices for my peanut butter/jam or even other types of toppings for evening snacks. 

I still do love our jewish history in our Christian walk of life.

• Members
post+pesach+pleasures.jpg

phkrause

• 11 months later...
  • Members

To those that are partaking in the Pesach celebration, Happy Pesach.

phkrause

• Members
1 hour ago, JoeMo said:

I will be celebrating a full blown Pesach celebration with Messianic Jews tonight.

:cool1:

phkrause

I attended my first full-blown Pesach celebration last night at a Messianic Jewish church with 500 other people - complete with rabbis, lamb, bitter herbs (HOT horseradish and parsley), singing in Hebrew, multiple blessings, shofars, and 4 glasses on grape juice or Manechevitz (nasty wine).  I was the only male at our table, so I had to be the host.  I didn't have a clue what I was doing; but the Jewish women at the table were good mentors.  Had a blast!  Even imagined that I was sorta getting the hang of the Hebrew songs towards the end of the 3-hour dinner/ceremony.

• Like 2

• Members

Awesome!!

I've been to 2, probably about 10 or so years ago!!

phkrause

Ephesians 3:
In reading this, then, you will be able to understand my insight into the mystery of Christ,.......
This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus.

Joe and Peter are Gentiles who became heirs at some point of their lives with Jewish church of believers. Perhaps not an official member on their books but spiritually one with them as I am. They had a blessed experience of sharing a Pesach celebration with Messianic Jews. I find that so beautiful in the symbolic meaning of that event.

Did you know that the number 4 is important to Israelites in the Passa Seder ceremony?

Because the promise of deliverance from their Egyptian slavery is mentioned 4 times in the book of Exodus chap. 6. Since then the Seder ceremony has 4 cups of wine to drink, four questions to ask children present, and to tell of the 4 hundred years of slavery.

Did you know that hagaddah is a small book used for describing the rituals and blessing of the meal, and telling the great story of the journey from slavery in Egypt to freedom in the Promised Land?

Did you know the importance of unleavened bread in observing the Seder?

The Israelites did not have time to let the yeast rise in their bread. They were under command by God to leave all behind them and go in the night quickly from their Goshen homes. Therefore, they ate unleaved bread, known as Matzah along the way to the promise land. Manna flour was used. Nowadays at Passover they eat Matzah eight days long in the Seder holidays.

Did you know about the url for teaching all about the past and present of Seder at Passover?

http://tinyurl.com/ju64sma

Centuries ago the Church wanted the dispute over the Jewish calendar choice of Nisan 14th for Passover celebration to stop. Many of the christians were following the custom and it irked the upper hierarchy to have anything to do with what was in their bigoted eyes as Jewish. So they kept the Day of the Lord's resurrection on the first Sunday after the full moon that occurs after the vernal equinox closest to Nisan 14 according to the decree of the council of Nicea. 

Passover, on the other hand, was thoroughly Jewish and  was celebrated in the evening of Nisan 14 (Deu.16:6). On that date they were led out of Egypt by Moses.

The earliest Christian believers in the church of Asia Minor wished to keep the observance of Christ’s death and resurrection in correlation to the Jewish Passover. And, since the Jewish holiday calendar is based on solar and lunar cycles, each feast day is movable, with dates shifting from year to year.

A portion of the pdf article on Jesu' crucifixion. by William D. Edwards, MD

Excellent graphics are shown. http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/deathjesus.pdf

Jesus of Nazareth underwent Jewish and Roman trials, was flogged, and was sentenced to death by crucification. The scourging produced deep stripe-like lacerations and appreciable blood loss, and it probably set the stage for hypovolemic shock, as evidenced by the fact that Jesus was too weakened to carry the crossbar (patibulum) to Golgotha.

At the site of crucifixion, his wrists were nailed to the patibulum and, after the patibulum was lifted onto the upright post (stipes), his feet were nailed to the stipes. The major pathophysiologic effect of crucifixion was an interference with normal respiration. Accordingly, death resulted primarily from hypovolemic shock and exhaustion asphyxia. Jesus' death was ensured by the thrust of a soldier's spear into his side. Modern medical interpretation of the historical evidence indicates that Jesus was dead when taken down from the cross. 

On 4/30/2016 at 7:00 PM, phkrause said:

Why Is Matzah So Bland?

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/3309015/jewish/Why-Is-Matzah-So-Bland.htm

Personally I like the taste of Matzah!! Doesn't taste bland to me at all!!

Kosher Matzah came about because of the Orthodox, who wanted to make absolutely SURE that not a molecule of fermentation could come into contact with the mix before it was fired. 

We make our own "unleavened bread" for our Passover feast.  It tastes good - sort of like a crunchy thin pizza crust.  We are eating it all this week. 

We had five people over on Monday evening. 

We do the foot washing ceremony too.  We feel it really sends the message that we were sent to serve, not to be served. 

We don't do the "full blown" seder, but we tell the story of the first Passover, and the story of "Christ our Passover", and we look forward to our final rescue/deliverance from this kingdom ruled by "Pharaoh", and we very much look forward to Passover with Christ in His Father's kingdom.

Luke 22:15-16 "Then He said to them, 'With fervent desire I have desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer; for I say to you, I will no longer eat of it [Passover] until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.'"

Matthew 26:27-29 "Then He took the cup [the 3rd cup of the Passover], and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, 'Drink from it, all of you. For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father's kingdom." 

I think of Passover like I do the Sabbath.  Why take 2000 years off - just to start keeping it again in the kingdom.  One can celebrate the Feast without the sacrifice of a lamb. 

We divide men/women for the foot washing.  The next day Sharon (age 72) called to tell me that her husband was so impressed when Klaus prayed for him, that he also prayed out loud.  That was the first time in 43 years - that he had prayed out loud.  Everyone there felt the presence of Christ with us.  Passover is an awesome time. 

• Like 2

8thdaypriest

On 4/13/2017 at 4:50 AM, aka said:

Centuries ago the Church wanted the dispute over the Jewish calendar choice of Nisan 14th for Passover celebration to stop. Many of the christians were following the custom and it irked the upper hierarchy to have anything to do with what was in their bigoted eyes as Jewish. So they kept the Day of the Lord's resurrection on the first Sunday after the full moon that occurs after the vernal equinox closest to Nisan 14 according to the decree of the council of Nicea. 

Passover, on the other hand, was thoroughly Jewish and  was celebrated in the evening of Nisan 14 (Deu.16:6). On that date they were led out of Egypt by Moses.

The earliest Christian believers in the church of Asia Minor wished to keep the observance of Christ’s death and resurrection in correlation to the Jewish Passover. And, since the Jewish holiday calendar is based on solar and lunar cycles, each feast day is movable, with dates shifting from year to year.

Emperor Constantine was a flaming anti-Semitic.  He actually wrote, "We will have nothing to do with the detestable Jewish crowd."  Constantine commanded that no Christian festival could be celebrated on the same day as a Jewish festival.  And once he proclaimed himself head of the church, the die was cast.  The same thing happened to the 7th Day Sabbath.  Pagans newly converted to Christianity wanted to avoid persecution, when possible. 

8thdaypriest

The ancient Egyptians celebrated a week-long feast to the god of the underworld during the same week that Passover was celebrated.  They sacrificed a pig to this god, and ate leavened honey cakes.  

The LORD was showing the Israelites that He was greater than the "god" of the underworld - Satan. 

I thought maybe the 7 days saw them safely through the Red Sea crossing.  I looked at Reese Chronological. In Reese, Israel left Egypt on Nissan 15 and camped by the Red Sea before dark on the evening of Nissan 17.  All that night the wind blew across the Sea.  They crossed the Red Sea (and Pharaoh with his army was destroyed) on the 18th of Nissan - 4 days after they departed Egypt. So the 7 day period doesn't fit that.

I know the Israelites did not have time for their bread to rise, and they "carried their kneading bowls bound up in their clothes".  They did not receive the manna until the 16th day of the second month - a month AFTER they left Egypt. (Exodus 16).  We do know they cooked with the manna.  They must have used leaven for the baking occasionally, because the command for Pentecost was the offering of two loaves "baked WITH leaven" (Lev 23:17). 

The Lord's command was that all "leaven" be removed from "your houses" before the sun set on the 14th day of Nissan.  My husband read's the labels on soup cans, etc. to remove all leaven.  He puts everything in a big box and takes it out to the shed for the week (Exo 12:15).  lol 

The search for the leaven makes the point that removal of all leaven is impossible, especially if we are searching with mortal eyes. 

Jesus was cleaning the "leaven" from His "house" [the Temple] when He drove out the money changers. 

I'm just wondering about the WEEK.  What is the fulfillment?  Leaven was a symbol of sin.  Which is why the "bread" of the Passover (Jesus) was "without leaven" or honey which facilitates leavening.

Do you think it may have fulfillment significance at the end of this age - before our "Passover" from this kingdom of Satan/Pharaoh? 

8thdaypriest

4 hours ago, 8thdaypriest said:

I'm just wondering about the WEEK.  What is the fulfillment?  Leaven was a symbol of sin.  Which is why the "bread" of the Passover (Jesus) was "without leaven" or honey which facilitates leavening.

Do you think it may have fulfillment significance at the end of this age - before our "Passover" from this kingdom of Satan/Pharaoh? 

Interesting question.  As I think about it, going back to the questionable "day for a year" theory, could the seven days without leaven represent the seven years of the tribulation (last week of Daniel's 70 weeks), where we may have nothing to rely on but the "unleavened bread" - Jesus - for our sustenance and salvation?