ClubAdventist is back!

Solar Photovoltaic Project to be Built

Dr. Shane

World's Largest Solar Photovoltaic Project to be Built in Nevada

Quote:

Powered by Renewables (PBR) of Nevada
, announced today it will partner with SunEdison of Maryland to develop the world's largest solar photovoltaic (PV) project in Nevada. The 18 megawatt (MW) project almost doubles what is currently the world's largest PV project (10MW) located in Germany.

|

PBR and SunEdison will develop a total of 36 MWs of PV projects in Nevada, enough energy to power 36,000 homes. Construction in Clark County is expected to begin in July and at other sites in early 2007.

Quote:

"The PBR-SunEdison partnership is one good example of what our state and, in fact, our nation needs in the important development of renewable resources," said Roberto Denis, Senior Vice President, Generation and Energy Supply, Sierra Pacific Resources. "Our Nevada Power utility intends to purchase renewable energy credits from this project for several decades and we are pleased to participate as our state continues to play a leadership role in the expanding field of renewable energy."

The story doesn't mention how much it will cost to build and operate. What is the rate of return on the investment? I am afraid that would dampen the story. Without being subsidised, this type of project may not even be profitable. From what I have heard, solar is the least efficent of alternative energy.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Quote:

Shane said:

• What is the rate of return on the investment?

Shane, most new technology takes a while to reduce in costs enough to become profitable. As a company/government operates a plant like this they will learn what works well, what needs to be changed, ways to make things mesh more smoothly etc, so that when another like project is attempted it will be more efficient. And so things develop.

When you say 'profitable', are you referring to profit/loss figures only? Is cost vs return the only parameter which you would consider when deciding whether an energy producer was 'profitable'? What about costs to the environment? Costs to the health of nearby (and more distant) citizens? Do these things figure in your calculations?

Graeme

Graeme

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• Moderators

Photovoltaic cell efficiencies have been steadily rising for years - they're still not that efficient, but when the resource (sunlight) is free, efficiency isn't quite so important.

I think if the criterion is 'cheaper to buy than fossil fuels' it'll still be a while, but if, as Graeme has alluded, we include 'cost to the environment' or 'ecological footprint' measures, or something like the 'triple bottom line', then the calculation is different.

Truth is important

The cost of efficient solar cells has been coming down. According to this [:"blue"]source[/] the cost for solar modules in the U.S. is (as of January, 2006) $5.30 Wp (per watt at peak output). Using data supplied by this [:"blue"]Wikipedia article, [/] I gather that this would result in an approximate time of 21 years for the energy savings to pay for manufacturing and installation costs. This figure of course would be affected by the current local costs for electricity from the public utility, and by any government subsidies, tax breaks, etc., that might be involved. The total number of days of full sunlight would affect this too.

It is also possible that a large project, meant to generate enough power for a large town or small city, might provide some additional opportunities for savings. And if this takes the place of a conventional coal- or oil- or natural gas-fired power plant, then that would have additional benefits, including reducing our total need for petroleum imports.

My untrained and non-professional guess is that this looks doable, and is probably worth doing, even now.

The efficieny I am really talking about is two-fold. This plant will provide power for 36,000 homes. (Homes do not require as much power as businesses or farms) For the amount of money that will be spent in building this plant, how many homes would be powered with wind mills or nuclear power?

The return on investment comes into play since this is a private power company. The sunlight is free but the solar cells require maintance and batteries burn out and need replacment. How long will it take for the plant to pay for its construction and how much will the maintance costs be.

I support solar power on a small scale being subsidised by the government so that the technology will continue to be developed and improved. However I question how wise of an investment it is on a large scale.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• 17 years later...
  • Members

Off-grid solar brings light, time and income to remotest villages

LAINDEHA, Indonesia (AP) — As Tamar Ana Jawa wove a red sarong in the fading sunlight, her neighbor switched on a light bulb dangling from the sloping tin roof. It was just one bulb powered by a small solar panel, but in this remote village that means a lot. In some of the world’s most remote places, off-grid solar systems are bringing villagers like Jawa more hours in the day, more money and more social gatherings.

https://apnews.com/article/offgrid-solar-electrification-indonesia-0991d77d68f879c4daa12e7d3dfd97ee?

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}