ClubAdventist is back!

Trivia Quiz?

phkrause

• Members
16 hours ago, phkrause said:

Aristotle tutored which person who would go on to conquer all of the then-known world?

Alexander the Great, Caesar, Napoleon, or Joan of Arc

My guess: Alexander the Great

Aristotle tutored which person who would go on to conquer all of the then-known world?

Your Answer: Alexander The Great

Correct Answer: Alexander The Great

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Members

Which military leader is quoted as saying, "I came, I saw, I conquered"?

My guess: Julius Caesar

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Members

Known as "The antithesis of the loving Cosby Show". First airing on April 5, 1987, which T.V. show was Fox's first prime time show?

Married ..... with Children, Who's the Boss, Roseanne, or Cheers

My guess: Married... with Children

phkrause

• Members

Which of these cities has an NFL team named after an animal?

phkrause

• Members
23 hours ago, phkrause said:

Which military leader is quoted as saying, "I came, I saw, I conquered"?

My guess: Julius Caesar

Answer: "Veni, vidi, vici" is a famous Latin phrase popularly attributed to the Roman Emperor Julius Caesar. The phrase means roughly "I came, I saw, I conquered". Julius Caesar used the phrase in a letter to the Roman Senate around 47 BC to inform them he had achieved a quick victory in his short war against Pharnaces II of Pontus at the Battle of Zela. The phrase is often used to refer to a swift, conclusive victory. Variations of the sentence "Veni, vidi, vici" are often quoted, and also used in music, art, literature, and entertainment.

phkrause

• Members
23 hours ago, phkrause said:

Known as "The antithesis of the loving Cosby Show". First airing on April 5, 1987, which T.V. show was Fox's first prime time show?

Married ..... with Children, Who's the Boss, Roseanne, or Cheers

My guess: Married... with Children

Your Answer: Married... with Children

Correct Answer: Married... with Children

phkrause

• Members
21 hours ago, phkrause said:

Which of these cities has an NFL team named after an animal?

Answer: The Cincinnati Bengals football team based in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Bengals were founded by former Cleveland Browns head coach Paul Brown who established his own franchise after being fired as head coach of the Cleveland Browns. He named the team the Cincinnati Bengals in order "to give it a link with past professional football in Cincinnati." Another Bengals team had existed in the city and played in three previous Football Leagues from 1937 to 1941. Cincinnati's world-renowned zoo was also home to a rare white Bengal Tiger.

phkrause

• Members

In 1492, Columbus set out with three ships. One was named the Santa Clara, better known by what nickname?

phkrause

• Members

Which of these was the middle name of a US president?

My guess: Gamaliel

phkrause

• Members
On 10/12/2020 at 2:42 PM, phkrause said:

In 1492, Columbus set out with three ships. One was named the Santa Clara, better known by what nickname?

Answer: Everyone knows the names of the three ships that sailed on Christopher Columbus’ maiden voyage to the New World – the Niña, the Pinta and the Santa Maria. However, few realize that the Niña and the Pinta were only nicknames given to the vessels and not the ship's actual names. By tradition, Spanish ships were named after saints and usually given nicknames. The Santa Clara was referred to by her nickname, La Niña, which was probably a pun on the name of her owner, Juan Niño of Moguer. The actual name of La Pinta (the Painted One) is unknown.

phkrause

• Members
On 10/12/2020 at 3:42 PM, phkrause said:

Which of these was the middle name of a US president?

My guess: Gamaliel

Answer: Warren Gamaliel Harding was the 29th President of the United States and served from 1921 until his death in 1923. The name Gamaliel is a biblical name of Hebrew origin and means "God is my reward". His term followed World War I and a campaign promising a "return to normalcy." After serving as president for less than three years, Harding died unexpectedly of a heart attack while traveling in California. After his death, the Teapot Dome bribery scandal and other instances of corruption came to light, damaging his reputation.

phkrause

• Members

Which 1959 T.V. Western series featured a theme song with the lines, "Move 'em on, head 'em up, Head 'em up, head 'em out"?

Wagon train, Rawhide, The Big Valley, or Bonanza

My guess: Rawhide

phkrause

• Members

Michael Jackson dedicated his 1988 autobiography to which person?

My guess: Fred Astaire

phkrause

• Members

Which of these words is of Chinese origin?

My guess: Karaoke

phkrause

• Members
20 hours ago, phkrause said:

Which 1959 T.V. Western series featured a theme song with the lines, "Move 'em on, head 'em up, Head 'em up, head 'em out"?

Wagon train, Rawhide, The Big Valley, or Bonanza

My guess: Rawhide

Your Answer: Rawhide

Correct Answer: Rawhide

phkrause

• Members
20 hours ago, phkrause said:

Michael Jackson dedicated his 1988 autobiography to which person?

My guess: Fred Astaire

Answer: Michael Jackson dedicated his autobiography Moonwalk to his idol Fred Astaire. The book was named after Jackson's signature dance move, the moonwalk, and contains a foreword by Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis. Fred Astaire saw Jackson as a successor and was quoted as saying, “Oh, God! That boy moves in a very exceptional way. That’s the greatest dancer of the century. I didn’t want to leave this world without knowing who my descendant was. Thank you Michael!” The book reached number one on the New York Times Best Seller list.

phkrause

• Members
18 hours ago, phkrause said:

Which of these words is of Chinese origin?

My guess: Karaoke

Answer: It turns out ketchup’s origins are anything but American. Ketchup comes from the Chinese word, kê- tsiap, the name of a sauce derived from fermented fish. By the early 18th century, the table sauce had arrived in present day Malaysia and Singapore, where English colonists first tasted it. The Malaysian word for the sauce was kicap or kecap. That word evolved into the English word "ketchup". Americans now purchase 10 billion ounces of ketchup annually, which translates to roughly three bottles per person per year.

phkrause

• Members

Which tech company started out selling seafood?

My guess: Samsung

phkrause

• Members

In the 1976 movie "Rocky", the main character trains and prepares for his boxing match in which U.S. city?

Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, New York City, or Chicago

My guess: Philadelphia

phkrause

• Members

With nearly 60% of it comprised of fat, which is our fattiest organ?

My guess: Brain

phkrause

• Members

Which tech company started out selling seafood?

My guess: Samsung

Answer: Samsung may be one of the world's biggest technology conglomerates today, but the company’s business activities were not even remotely associated with technology when it was founded. Samsung, which means three stars in Korean, was founded in 1938 by Byung-Chull Lee. Based in Korea, the company started out selling dried local fish to China. In the next couple of decades, many other subsidiaries were born, including Samsung Fire & Marine Insurance, and Samsung Life Insurance. It wasn't unitl 1969 that Samsung entered the electronics industry.

phkrause

• Members

In the 1976 movie "Rocky", the main character trains and prepares for his boxing match in which U.S. city?

Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, New York City, or Chicago

My guess: Philadelphia

Your Answer: Philadelphia

Correct Answer: Philadelphia

phkrause

• Members
18 hours ago, phkrause said:

With nearly 60% of it comprised of fat, which is our fattiest organ?

My guess: Brain

Answer: The fattiest organ in the human body is the brain, which is typically composed of 60% fat. The brain is composed of neurons and glial cells and is the largest part of the central nervous system. "Grey matter", which comprises 40% of the brain's weight, is pinkish-grey in color and contains 100 billion signal-transmitting neurons. "White matter", accounting for 60% of the weight, connects the grey matter together, carrying the nerve impulses between neurons, as well as providing nutrition and support; the name comes from layers of a white lipid-rich (fatty) substance called myelin that protects and insulates the nerve cell axons.

phkrause

• Members

What Ray Bradbury novel is named for the temperature at which paper catches fire?

My guess: F 451

phkrause

• Members

Traditionally, what kind of foodstuff was common to the British manufacturers Rowntree's, Terry's and Cadbury?

Tea, Baked Beans, Pasta, or Chocolate

My guess: Chocolate

phkrause