ClubAdventist is back!

Original animal diets

jbal7

Recently I got a kitten. I was reading on which cat food brands are best. Most sites say that any foods too high in grains are not good because in the wild, cats would mainly eat meats. This is there "natural foods." I then started thinking is this true? Because wouldn't have cats in the garden been vegetarian? Must have been since there was no death. So 1, I don't know that grain and veggie based diets are bad for animals. And 2, why do animals eat meat today? It's obvious some animals basically only eat meat, but why? I know why humans began eating meats after the flood. But why would the animals need to? Perhaps for the same reason, initial lack of plants after the flood, but after the earth was replenished wouldn't they go back to their natural diets? 

• Moderators

Maybe all the animals in Eden were green and photosynthesised, so not even plants had to die. ;)

Truth is important

Good question!

First of all, your fluffy and cute cat is actually a predator, a carnivore. For instance, cats aren’t able to synthesize taurine, a naturally occurring amino acid that you only find in fish and meat. Therefore it is absolutely crucial that cats get meat, their health will suffer without it. Dogs, on the other hand, are omnivores able to live on a vegetarian diet without any problems.

Yes, according to the Bible animals were originally plant eaters. The Bible is silent about the details, but the physiology of carnivores are adapted to catching and feeding on prey. So obviously this is somehow a result of the fall. Man were merely permitted to eat meat, whereas lions, tigers and cats are adapted to the consumption of meat. That’s a huge difference, so the lack of plants after the flood isn’t why carnivores eat meat. Tigers and lions eat meat because it is their current nature to do so.

But fortunately we are told that carnivores will return to their original state on the New Earth, check out Isaiah 65:25...

Overreliance on starch is bad for just about any mammal.  So be careful with a lot of pet foods that use grains as a filler. 

To be an agent of creation is to serve the Creator.