ClubAdventist is back!

STUDENT-BODY-VP-UNDER-FIRE-FOR-ALL-LIVES

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

According to Smith, the punishment was harsh because Sethi failed to understand how heinous it is to say that all lives matter.

“Since her original post, I have not felt that she has understood or respected how her actions have affected the people around her, as well as the reputation of SGA and the university,” he said.

He wasn’t finished, however.

“The first amendment [sic] prevents a person from being jailed by the government for what they say. But [it] does not prevent people from receiving other consequences for what they say,” he added.

What’s next? Jail time and firing squads for saying all lives matter?

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

• Moderators

All lives matter is simply way of saying to black people "shut up!"

• Like 1

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

2 hours ago, lazarus said:

All lives matter is simply way of saying to blacks people shut up!

No it is simply saying all matter. Not just black lives. 

A very recent example of saying "lives" don't matter is the booing during a moment of silence in honor of the policemen shot in Dallas as they were protecting "black lives".

The life of a black person doesn't have anymore value than a white,mexican,asian person.

• Members

I don't like the fringe group of the BLM who call for murdering police and causing destruction of property.

I might be entirely off in my perceptions, but I'm under the impression that the majority of folks who use the "Black Lives Matter" mantra aren't trying to diminish the value of Caucasian, Hispanic, Asian, Native American, or other lives.  It is more that they are sounding the alarm on a historical trend of black lives seeming to have less value to many (not all) people, and the inequality of the way one group of people is overtly and covertly treated vs other groups.  

A person can say to their son, "I love you."  Does that mean s/he doesn't love their other children?  Of course not.  A person who says s/he loves their son, or daughter, or mother, or father, isn't diminishing the fact that they love all of their family.  Even the Bible reads that Jesus had a "disciple whom He loved".... does that mean He didn't love His other disciples, or that He didn't love *all* His followers?  Nope.

It is like calling 911 to report that your house is on fire, or is being burglarized.  Dispatch could tell you they don't want your address, because *your* house isn't any more important than anyone else's.  Isn't that how the response of "All lives matter" might sound to those whose racial group seems to be "on fire" or is being "burglarized" and they're shouting for help?  It doesn't matter how the fire started, or who is trying to steal — it's just the fact that it is happening.  A solution needs to be addressed — it is too big to be handled alone, and if the fire isn't put out (or the ransacking of the home isn't stopped), then those very same issues spread, become even more out of control, and affect wider and wider concentric circles of racial and other groups.  Telling someone whose house is on fire to use their garden hose to put out the fire themselves because their house isn't any more important than anyone else's seems ridiculous, but that's really what the "all lives matter" response is doing...  at least that's how it seems to me.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, bonnie said:

No it is simply saying all matter. Not just black lives. 

Being deliberately obtuse is not helpful. The slogan is not JUST black lives matter. It's black lives matter. 

• Like 2

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Moderators

Pam, Couldn't have said it better. Thank you. It's good when there are white folks out there who will listen, empathize, and be willing to engage in real discussion. Can't always agree on everything but there can be progress. 

• Like 2

Einstein

'All lives matter', if I'm correct, came in response the 'Black lives matter'.  On the surface it could very well be seen as a 'shut up' to the black lives movement and at times probably does with some voices. To me the 'Black Lives Matter' movement came about because of the disproportion of activity, often extreme, in black vs white situations. Prejudice, bigotry is alive and well in this country even though we have made progress,often great strides. But down on the streets where average america lives, not so much. I am not talking about just Black, but all ethnic minorities. Of course many of these 'minorities' are fast becoming larger in population and not so much minority any more. That concerns a lot of WASP's.

(my opinion)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rudywoofs (Pam) said:

I don't like the fringe group of the BLM who call for murdering police and causing destruction of property.

I might be entirely off in my perceptions, but I'm under the impression that the majority of folks who use the "Black Lives Matter" mantra aren't trying to diminish the value of Caucasian, Hispanic, Asian, Native American, or other lives.  It is more that they are sounding the alarm on a historical trend of black lives seeming to have less value to many (not all) people, and the inequality of the way one group of people is overtly and covertly treated vs other groups.  

A person can say to their son, "I love you."  Does that mean s/he doesn't love their other children?  Of course not.  A person who says s/he loves their son, or daughter, or mother, or father, isn't diminishing the fact that they love all of their family.  Even the Bible reads that Jesus had a "disciple whom He loved".... does that mean He didn't love His other disciples, or that He didn't love *all* His followers?  Nope.

It is like calling 911 to report that your house is on fire, or is being burglarized.  Dispatch could tell you they don't want your address, because *your* house isn't any more important than anyone else's.  Isn't that how the response of "All lives matter" might sound to those whose racial group seems to be "on fire" or is being "burglarized" and they're shouting for help?  It doesn't matter how the fire started, or who is trying to steal — it's just the fact that it is happening.  A solution needs to be addressed — it is too big to be handled alone, and if the fire isn't put out (or the ransacking of the home isn't stopped), then those very same issues spread, become even more out of control, and affect wider and wider concentric circles of racial and other groups.  Telling someone whose house is on fire to use their garden hose to put out the fire themselves because their house isn't any more important than anyone else's seems ridiculous, but that's really what the "all lives matter" response is doing...  at least that's how it seems to me.

Much of what you say is true.

Part of the problem is that black lives only seem to matter when the loss of a black life is because of a PO. I don't have the slightest doubt there are racist officers,black and white. The assumption is automatic that a black person killed is the victim of mindless racism. They are praised by family and friends as outstanding peaceful law abiding citizens. Most seem to have a criminal background. That doesn't mean they deserve to die at the hands of the police but with a history it is not illogical or racist to understand that may have a great deal to do with the "victims" response leading to a tragic end.

Sometimes  it is probably true of both white and black  are victims of a overeager  or power tripping PO. A good portion of the time as more of the story begins to come out we find that not true. But those screaming racism don't wait for any facts,they just muddy the waters. Just as Obama,  after admitting he did not know what happened claimed the PO actions were stupid. Our brilliant governor did same here recently. Then a far different story began to emerge. 

If black lives matter so much to the black community that it calls for the murder of any PO that is handy or the rioting and looting and that is seen as an effective means of dealing with it ,why don't we see that with so much black on black murders? Do the small children killed because they happen to catch a stray bullet matter as much.

Would the same forceful response by the rest of the black community send a message to the thugs and gangs?

What would be the response if a white gang shot a innocent child while gunning for a black gang member?

The number of black deaths by PO pales in comparison to the numbers of innocent people caught in the cross fire of  black  gangs. A senseless and uncalled death by PO should be investigated to the inth degree and prosecuted as severely as possible.But before the riots and looting and killing of random PO make sure the victim,white or black did not contribute a great deal to the circumstances.

I don't have it handy at the moment but I believe there are far more white people killed in the line of duty than black. Do they count?

When I see a forceful response,(not rioting and looting) to the senseless deaths of so many black victims caused by blacks I will believe that the BLM crowd truly values all lives,not just those that die at the hands of a PO. If it is believed to be effective then by all means use it for all innocent black people killed

When I say  or believe that all lives matter it can be seen however someone wishes. Until they are blessed with divine insight,their biased opinion really is meaningless. 

It is not meant as a simple black people shut up. It is more simply,those killed by PO are not the only ones that matter.

I vaguely remember hearing about this, and it happened under my nose, so to speak, here in Houston. Allow me to make some

observations based on a lifetime of experience.   The student body VP came under fire, so to speak for comments about 'all lives

matter' probably for several reasons.  The U of H main campus is located in third ward.  The historic 3rd ward is unique in that it has 

the usually inner city problems, and it is also the cultural center of the black community in Houston & Southeast Texas.  Youth activism 

is usually found on or near college campuses.  There are 3 or 4 college campuses in third ward.  I don't know for sure, but I am almost certain

that the BLM central location in Houston, is not that far away from the U of H campus.  

• Moderators

those killed by PO are not the only ones that matter.

Of course those killed by police are the only ones that matter. Black people don't care as much about gang killings and violence in their neighborhoods. Why would they care? The people in those communities actually like it when there is a dead body found every few weeks.

Einstein

Your sarcastic snarky response is noted and I am sure considered appropriate and much appreciated by some here. No problem.

If looting ,burning,killing,blocking freeways is considered an effective means of dealing with those allegedly innocent victims of the police,certainly it should have some impact against the thugs killing innocent children and others.

There isn't even so much as a whimper from BLM when an innocent black child is killed by a black gang member. If that same child is killed by police suddenly they are all over it. Not much mileage to be gained by a black child killed by a black gang member.

BLM seem to be quite adept at multi tasking with various efforts in different area's. They certainly address both issues as both deal with the loss of a life they feel has been unfairly taken

There's a judgement, by an all seeing, all knowing God.  And black lives matter to the extent that whoever takes a life will answer for it sooner or later.  It could be a police man, a gang banging thug or a character assassinating message board junkie.   

• Like 1

I'm not sure what the deal is with BLM. Statisticaly there are more whites than blacks killed by police every year. There was a white kid killed by police back in June here where I live, sure it made national news but it quickly died out when the video was released showing the kid not complying with police and moving in on the officers.

Follow the money. George Soros is funding these groups to create civil unrest. Why would rich people need to cause civil unrest?...I'm thinking it has to do with power and control. That makes the BLM movement a tool for the powerful.

Listen to this interview with a blm leader on the Joe Pags show. It doesn't go well. http://m.woai.iheart.com/onair/the-joe-pags-show-10/a-leader-of-black-lives-matter-14905655/

9 minutes ago, D_Bishop said:

There's a judgement, by an all seeing, all knowing God.  And black lives matter to the extent that whoever takes a life will answer for it sooner or later.  It could be a police man, a gang banging thug or a character assassinating message board junkie.   

Of course. The problem is the BLM group decides the life of a black person killed by police can be vindicated by choosing  police randomly and killing them. BLM are perfectly content to wait for the  judgement, by an all seeing, all knowing God when it is an innocent child or another innocent.

Under no circumstances would I want to see the same reaction to gang killings,but then I don't find an excuse for the cowardly shooting of PO in the back either. 

If it is effective in those killed by police,a few well placed bullets in random gang members and the burning of their homes would get their attention I am sure. They don't have to worry about even targeting the guilty. Just choose a gang member randomly and put a bullet in him.

You can bet if it was a PO that killed so many innocent children in drive bys and by mistake,they would be looting,burning and killing. Then those children would have some importance

I don't know much about the BLM movement, if it exists.  I would not join such a group because history has a way of repeating.  For some, the repetition is quite fast.   There was another group that was vilified and denigrated by the media, and by mom & pop middle class.  That group was the black panthers.  They had this one charismatic leader named Fred Hampton who was instrumental in starting feed the children programs, and literacy classes and dangerous stuff like that.  He was getting too popular so the powers that be planted a spy in his group.  The spy made sure Hampton was full of sleeping pills one night.  The the chicago pd moved and and shot the place up, in cold blood.  No trial, no nothing.  But that is par for the course.

Nope, no BLM movement for me.  I've seen this news video clip before.

I dont believe all of the black community does belong to or condone the actions of BLM. There are many,likely most black families are doing their best just like everyone else to raise decent families and to have them safe. When their children are killed it isnt a big deal to the media or org. like BLM. Only to the grieving parents.  But all of this is really off the subject. Why should a student be penalized for what she said? So what if someone didnt like it? This student didnt care for Black Lives Matter. No one should have the expectation they will go thru life hearing only what pleases them

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Rossw said:

I'm not sure what the deal is with BLM. Statisticaly there are more whites than blacks killed by police every year.

More whites are killed simply because there are more whites in the country in the same way that more white people are on food stamps. What is clear though is that the proportion of unarmed black people killed is higher. The justice system hands out longer and harsher sentences to black people. Police stop more frequently and write more tickets. Have you been to their website and other groups like it?

Einstein

• Moderators
13 hours ago, bonnie said:

I dont believe all of the black community does belong to or condone the actions of BLM. There are many,likely most black families are doing their best just like everyone else to raise decent families and to have them safe. When their children are killed it isnt a big deal to the media or org. like BLM. Only to the grieving parents. 

Your first statement is strange. What does it mean that some black people don't support BLM? Should they all think the same? Just because some do not support does it mean the cause is not just? What cause/organization do ALL white people support. Name one.

Seems like you are suggesting that the high profile families of those killed are families not doing their best to raise their kids. A highly objectionable and ignorant statement but lets see some examples.

• Like 1

Einstein

• Moderators

The problem is the BLM group decides the life of a black person killed by police can be vindicated by choosing  police randomly and killing them.

When has this happened? Give an example.

Einstein

While there may be truth on both sides of this discussion, the discussion itself is not helpful given its present context.  Black people have been murdered for no reason at a seemingly much higher ratio than white people by the police in America of late.  The case deserves attention, and the BLM movement has a legitimate cause to draw attention to it by the "black lives matter" slogan.  As has been pointed out, black people are not saying that others' lives don't matter.  If such were true, I would certainly not be defending the movement.  For it to succeed, though, it must absolutely remain a peaceful protest.  The actions of a single extremist will counteract the influence of countless peaceful protestors.  For whites to start a contrasting "all lives matter" appears to many as a clear indication of disagreement with the BLM movement and its concept that "black lives matter."  Ironically, the emotional implication becomes, then, that black lives don't matter, even though the semantics indicate they do.  Thus, such a movement as "all lives matter" in its present context becomes a myopic endeavor from the outset, and it will not have the positive effect its founders may have anticipated--and that gives them the benefit of the doubt, for it could easily be seen as a thinly veiled protest against the black movement.

Much of what bonnie says here is true, but her attitude and bias in presenting it show she has no clear understanding of the black people's plight.  If she truly understood the situation, she might have more of a heart, and a greater leniency toward blacks who tend to indulge and defend some who may have committed punishable wrongs.  Criminals are not the only ones to receive the police officers' bullets, and black people can see that more clearly than the average white person who ignorantly believes racial prejudices have been largely stamped out.

• Like 2

• Moderators

All lives matter: acceptable

Blue lives matter: acceptable

Black lives matter: unacceptable 

Seems like the word Black makes the difference. 

• Like 2

Einstein