ClubAdventist is back!

STUDENT-BODY-VP-UNDER-FIRE-FOR-ALL-LIVES

I was just as shocked and outraged as anyone when the shootings occurred in Dallas & Baton Rouge recently.  The only thing I have in common with the two people who committed those crimes, allegedly, is the fact that I am african american.  

Just a quick observation. Why is the term "African American" so prevalent? I think most others just call themselves Americans. It would be far less popular if I continually called myself a German American wouldn't it? It's been a few generations since they came over so i hardly feel German anymore. Now my culture is purely American. North American to be slightly more exact.

On August 17, 2016 at 10:09 PM, bonnie said:

I haven't the time right now to read the whole article  but what I did scan ,especially the last one it is obvious someone as yourself would not have jumped to conclusions.......

Unfortunately our police officers are not blessed with the divine insight of the Monday morning experts. I  know that in that number you will find the racist or power tripping PO as in any profession.  But given that at least half were white victims,why were they killed? 

The following story is interesting. Perhaps  a man suspected to be armed and with a violent history should have been asked nicely to let the PO know if he had a gun,was it loaded and did he intend to use it.  I am sure you would have. Most PO don't have the time or luxury that would require if they intend to go home to their families.  

Bonnie,

"Half were white victims"?  Here are some recent statistics from the Chicago Police Department, courtesy of the Chicago tribune.

Every five days, on average, a Chicago police officer fired a gun at someone.

In 435 shootings over a recent six-year span, officers killed 92 people and wounded 170 others.

While a few of those incidents captured widespread attention, they occurred with such brutal regularity — and with scant information provided by police — that most have escaped public scrutiny.

Now, after months of struggles with Chicago police to get information through the Freedom of Information Act, the Chicago Tribune has compiled an unprecedented database of details of every time police fired a weapon from 2010 through 2015.

Analysis of that data revealed startling patterns about the officers who fired and the people they shot at.

Among the findings:

•At least 2,623 bullets were fired by police in 435 shootings. In 235 of those incidents, officers struck at least one person; in another 200 shootings, officers missed entirely.

About four out of every five people shot by police were African-American males.

Perhaps it is true that "all lives matter."  But some lives matter less than others?

5 hours ago, Rossw said:

Just a quick observation. Why is the term "African American" so prevalent? I think most others just call themselves Americans. It would be far less popular if I continually called myself a German American wouldn't it? It's been a few generations since they came over so i hardly feel German anymore. Now my culture is purely American. North American to be slightly more exact.

I like african american.  Deal with it.

27 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

I have not heard of "castrations" anywhere!  Where is your proof for that?  And what? You say Bonnie is running around with a big set of fencing pliers and....ohhh wow. bird3v.jpg

Often I don't post here for years and months, so prepare your popcorn for other occasions.

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Rossw said:

Just a quick observation. Why is the term "African American" so prevalent? 

I'm sure you have a few ideas. Let's hear them. 

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Moderators
16 hours ago, bonnie said:

And what is it you would like to see to undo the terrible things of the past? 

The same corrupt justice system that ignored and supported lynchings is now supporting police brutality and murder. Those same lynchers are the fathers and grandfathers of today's cops, prosecutors and judges. 

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Moderators
6 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

I have not heard of "castrations" anywhere!  Where is your proof for that?  

I'm quite amazed at how many white Americans are ignorant if their country's history or do you only stick to the history that Conservative media lets you see. 

Google the Jessie Washington lunching. Isis would be proud. 

Einstein

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

The same corrupt justice system that ignored and supported lynchings is now supporting police brutality and murder. Those same lynchers are the fathers and grandfathers of today's cops, prosecutors and judges. 

If you feel that way you have every opportunity to leave.

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Rossw said:

Lol. The truth hurts right? My feeling aren't hurt though I'm just surprised.

Who wants you to be more aware of the terrorism thousands of miles away but not at home? 

Einstein

12 hours ago, Green Cochoa said:

Bonnie,

"Half were white victims"?  Here are some recent statistics from the Chicago Police Department, courtesy of the Chicago tribune.

Perhaps it is true that "all lives matter."  But some lives matter less than others?

Tell me out of that number how many of the circumstances do you know?  In a high crime rate,black or white you are going to have violent altercations with police. That is why they are high crime.

We have area's here where PO refuse to answer a distress call without very heavy backup.  When they do go in they do so knowing that the chance of being shot at or shot and killed is very high.  That obviously is going to cause super awareness and response. Yes,there are those that will harm someone simply because of the color of their skin. Worse when it is a PO,but that is true of black and white citizens as well.

Give me the breakdown with your article of white on black crime,black on white,black on black and crimes by PO.Those that were committed because of the color of someone's skin

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Is that like claiming dual citizenship?

Ignorance doth abound!!

Yessiree, if you don't like the way we do things, leave the country, cause we ain't changing our ways.......pathetic!!!!

• Like 1

• Moderators

CoAspen he doesn't realize that I am home. 

Einstein

18 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Lol. The truth hurts right? My feeling aren't hurt though I'm just surprised.

Who wants you to be more aware of the terrorism thousands of miles away but not at home? 

The cops are terrorists? I think you will find that statistically the police don't deserve that label. Be careful how you label people. Chicago may make your labeling look hypocritical.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Rossw said:

The cops are terrorists?

Are Muslims terrorists?

Einstein

14 minutes ago, CoAspen said:

Ignorance doth abound!!

Yessiree, if you don't like the way we do things, leave the country, cause we ain't changing our ways.......pathetic!!!!

Refugees leave terrorist ravaged countries.

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

I'm quite amazed at how many white Americans are ignorant if their country's history or do you only stick to the history that Conservative media lets you see. 

Google the Jessie Washington lunching. Isis would be proud. 

I think that Wanderer is canadian.There are people that only know history thru the media liberal and conservative.  But the media is a poor way of learning history. I don't know about others but I learned this in school and in a family that loved history . The period following the freeing of the slaves was horrific. I don't know of anyone that denies that,even those that are not well educated in history. Sometimes I wonder if that wasn't almost as bad as slavery itself ,as slaves at least they knew they were nothing but property . Slavery at least provided food and shelter as meager and poor as it was. They knew where they stood and they only counted for the labor. To be told you are free and suffer the treatment they did following that had to be terrible.

Of course we can go back and rehash and rehash events of the past every time a black person is involved,blaming the current event on events of that past. It has the same effect as the unfaithful spouse that has confessed and repented,and the faithful spouse reminding him of his misdeeds every time there is an argument or he leaves the house. That will only lead to two very bitter people.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

• Moderators

In many of these countries the terrorism is perpetrated by the government. 

Einstein

3 minutes ago, lazarus said:

In many of these countries the terrorism is perpetrated by the government. 

Are you saying Obama is perpetrating the violence in this country? To some extent I'd agree with that. Increase social destabilization and increase need from the government.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, bonnie said:

Slavery at least provided food and shelter as meager and poor as it was.

?

Brother Bishop is highlighting 20th century history not 18/19th century history. 

Einstein

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Rossw said:

Are you saying Obama is perpetrating the violence in this country? 

No. He's activity fighting against it. Abroad yes. 

Einstein

18 minutes ago, lazarus said:

?

Brother Bishop is highlighting 20th century history not 18/19th century history. 

PLease be a little more accurate. That period from the freeing of the slaves until 1965 or so when it began to get somewhat better in slow steps

But the media is a poor way of learning history. I don't know about others but I learned this in school and in a family that loved history 

The period following the freeing of the slaves was horrific. I don't know of anyone that denies that,even those that are not well educated in history. Sometimes I wonder if that wasn't almost as bad as slavery itself ,as slaves at least they knew they were nothing but property . Slavery at least provided food and shelter as meager and poor as it was. They knew where they stood and they only counted for the labor. To be told you are free and suffer the treatment they did following that had to be terrible.