ClubAdventist is back!

Sully - my Maltese - needs your prayers

Robert

Sully is a male Maltese.  He was a rescue puppy.  Around two years of age he started having health problems.  His first problem was thrombocytopenia.  Then he had a growth on his eyelid removed. Then patella problems came along and now trachea issues.  

So far I have spend over $10k for his medical issues.   He still needs patella and trachea surgeries.  This alone will cost over $5k.  Personally, I've had enough.  I'm trying to get my finances in order because my wife and I are retiring within 4 years.  I'm afraid if he can't be treated with medication that I'm going to have to have him euthanized. 

Any suggestions?

Sully needs your prayers.  

Robert

• Like 3

• Members

Robert, as a dog lover I surely do empathize with your dilemma.  Those little Maltese do tend to have patella subluxation problems, though from what I've read, most aren't serious enough to warrant surgery.  The trachea issue, though... is it the "progressive" tracheal collapse that Sully has?

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Administrators

Do whatever is most merciful...  It's hard when they suffer

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Moderators

I wonder:  Would his trachea surgery be a permanent solution? 

There comes a time when one thing just follows another and it is enough for the poor animal.

• Like 2

Gregory

• Moderators

Robert, I'll be praying for you and Sully.  These decision are very difficult.  Today its been 2 weeks since we had to put our 10 year old Bichon-Shitsu Luci to rest.  She had advanced kidney disease.  This would have claimed her life in the next few months IF she responded exceptionally well to treatment.  Honestly it was a horrible decision to make, but I could not  get over the idea of her being a pincushion for blood work etc over the next few months, with no hope of a cure.  I'll be praying for you both.

• Moderators

Working in a hospital I have seen that  some clinical procedures, in specific cases, do not provide a benefit that is worth the cost to a patient.

Death is a part of our human existence.

Life involves quality more than quantity.

We once had an Airdale who had survived including heat stroke and been restored to health, after a period of time.

One Sabbath day he lost his ability to breathe properly.  We rushed him to the ED for dogs.  After examination, the Vet told us that the next step in the examination would have to be to open up our dogs chest.  NOTE:  The dog had been placed in a coma and was on oxygen.

I informed the vet that I worked in a hospital and I would not allow her to open up my dog's chest unless she could assure me that such could resolve the issue.  I was immediately informed that that assurance could not be given.  And that there was a real possibility that she would have to simply close the dog's chest up again.  I told her:  "No Way. I will not allow you to do that to my dog."

So, the decision was made to put the dog out of his misery and send him off into a final sleep. And that was done.

Enough was enough for the poor animal.

• Like 2

Gregory

And some people don't believe our pets are going to go to heaven with us. Why would God put so much love in us for them while we're in this fallen world and then deny us their presence in the world to come? This clip shows me some of what I can expect in the not so distant future, having enjoyed and loved both cats and dogs for over

3/4 century. Enjoy.

God is Love!~Jesus saves!  :D    :prayer::offtobed:

Lift Jesus up!!

On 9/18/2016 at 5:04 PM, rudywoofs (Pam) said:

Robert, as a dog lover I surely do empathize with your dilemma.  Those little Maltese do tend to have patella subluxation problems, though from what I've read, most aren't serious enough to warrant surgery.  The trachea issue, though... is it the "progressive" tracheal collapse that Sully has?

Not sure at this moment.  The veterinarian is currently treating Sully with prednisone for inflammation of his trachea.  For now it is wait and see....

On 9/18/2016 at 3:26 PM, Aubrey said:

Postpone retirement? 

Well I would like to, but my current position as a electronic technician/engineer will eventually phaseout in about 6 years and then I'll have to do a more physical type job.  That I cannot do because of back issues.  As to date I have had 3 back surgeries. So at 62 I must retire. 

On 9/18/2016 at 11:52 PM, LifeHiscost said:

And some people don't believe our pets are going to go to heaven with us. Why would God put so much love in us for them while we're in this fallen world and then deny us their presence in the world to come? 

I agree!

Col 1:19 "For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross."

11 minutes ago, Robert said:

Well I would like to, but my current position as a electronic technician/engineer will eventually phaseout in about 6 years and then I'll have to do a more physical type job.  That I cannot do because of back issues.  As to date I have had 3 back surgeries. So at 62 I must retire. 

Hang on for just one more month? Earn that extra 5 grand? Sorry to hear about your back issues. There might be *some* kind of job you could do sitting down. Maybe it wouldn't make as much as you make now, but something to just get that little bit more for the dog.

29 minutes ago, Aubrey said:

Hang on for just one more month? Earn that extra 5 grand? Sorry to hear about your back issues. There might be *some* kind of job you could do sitting down. Maybe it wouldn't make as much as you make now, but something to just get that little bit more for the dog.

I don't wish to divulge my finances here, but another thing to consider is that my wife and I are raising our grandson.  Currently he is 2 1/2....I have to prioritize. 

I'm so sorry, deciding when enough is enough is one of the hardest things a petparent can do. I had a ten year old cat that I raised since she was a 4 week old kitten. Her last year was miserable, she had constant diarrhea and vomiting, she could barely walk, and some sort of neuro problems, as she "lost" me constantly. I couldn't let her go, she was my furbaby, I was selfish and made her suffer unnecessarily for a year, before my family put their foot down and forced me to see her reality. It's awful. But when the time comes, you can make it as peaceful as possible, with her best friend right there letting her know it's okay.

In the meantime, I pray that the meds do the trick. <3

• Like 3

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

• Members

Very hard decision that's for sure, will be praying for you and Sully. I've had to put two dogs down and its never easy. :(

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}