ClubAdventist is back!

Hiding the SDAC sign

Gerr

• Administrators

Some of the blame lies with our own members, and it makes relations hard all the way around. When people bulldoze others with a spirit of "rightness" and dogmatism, that is not generally well-accepted. When members focus on outward behaviours of others and try to correct them or fix them or complain about them- tell me, how long would you endure such treatment?

As far as EGW goes, the early membership was far less dependent on her work and better Bible students. I understand that changed about the 1920s, where leaders and membership dubbed her work with inerrancy and infallibility, and she was no longer around to defend herself. In doing that they in essence created a pope.

I am sorry that in these modern times we are left with more prejudice that we need to fight. But we need to fight the battle with the weapons of God's warfare which are not carnal but mighty. And before them all comes love. That is how God deals with us. Love, freedom of conscience, and time to allow the Holy Spirit to do its work.

• Like 1

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Moderators

So those of you who think that concealing the SDA sign is deceptive, was God being deceptive in Ex 5, 1 Sam 16, or Jn 7?  Anyone?

• Moderators

Gerry:  Even if we were to say that God was deceptive, that would not justify our being deceptive.

To say that God was deceptive would not be a  blanket justification to be deceptive everywhere, at all times.

Gregory

I think there is a different way to look at it rather than just saying if it is deceptive-  is it the best possible practice for us to do at this time. I guess the thing I would do is prayerfully consider the overall situation and the relevant counsel. To me the quote about not concealing who we are appears to be highly relevant. In the past I have helped rent public buildings for the beginning of a crusade for this reason. We would tell anyone who asked who we were.

Behold what manner of love the Father hath given unto us.

My Partner and I were enjoying pizza night with a few of our lovely close church members and I brought up this topic.

Wanting input from Real Faces that  I do know are quite extensively more than their opinions. (as all are)

I  then  had  vague  flashback to my home church as a  kid ..that we actually did that (!)..and even had a special cover made to fit  over the sign.

It was a work of art made out of wood... yes thank you, My Home Church

So us!

The memory gets stronger every time I think back after.

Of course the knee jerk reaction at our lil Pizza and Salad Party was the Church was ashamed.

I brought up it was probably done to increase the people attending or at least getting a peek.

Due to uhhh,, cultish judging behavior close by or unfavorable press of people and groups linked to our Church.

Media etc.

Then they told me that our Church (my current) did things differently.

They held the meetings in a Hall then moved it to the Church  at the time the Sabbath Message.

neeto!

For all Eternity God waited in anticipation for  You  to show up to give You a Message - YOUR INCLUDED !!! { a merry dance }?️‍?

" If you tarry 'til you're better
You will never come at all "   .. "I Will Rise" by the late great saved  Glen Campbell

If your picture of God is starting to feel too good to be true, you're starting to move in the right direction. :candle:

"My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
The more I have, for both are infinite."

Romeo and Juliet

• Moderators
On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 5:57 PM, Gregory Matthews said:
On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 5:57 PM, Gregory Matthews said:

Gerry:  Even if we were to say that God was deceptive, that would not justify our being deceptive.

To say that God was deceptive would not be a  blanket justification to be deceptive everywhere, at all times.

Greg, I am very surprised by your response. Are you saying that on occasion God uses deception only as a matter of convenience?

If we cover up the SDA sign ONLY during the pre-Sabbath presentation, that is not a blanket use of deception is it?

ESV | ‎Nu 23:19 God is not man, that he should lie.

ESV | ‎Heb 6:18  it is impossible for God to lie,

If the above statements are true, then it seems to me that we must question or reexamine our ideas about what is deception/lie and what is not.

As Jesus said, NIV84 | ‎Jn 7:24 Stop judging by mere appearances, and make a right judgment.”  

And the right judgment, it seems to me, is to look at the heart (motive) as the Bible says.  What is the reason/motive for God telling Moses to tell pharaoh that he was leading the Israelites only 3 days journey into the wilderness to sacrifice to Jehovah?  What was His motive in telling Samuel not to openly declare David as the new king?  Why did Jesus say that He was not going to Jerusalem and then privately go there? 

• Moderators

Gerry:  Please read what I said.  Never did I say that God was deceptive.  In the quoted post, I simply left that argument alone.  I went to the next step when I said " IF . . .

By the way, thank you for asking.

Gregory

• Moderators

Gerry asks below:

1)  Just maybe that was the original request--to go three days journey.

2)  Just maybe, if Pharaoh had let them go, they would have returned?  The request of Moses may have been honest.

3)  But, God knew that Pharaoh would drive then out--Exodus 6:1.

4) With the refusal to let them go and sacrifice, the plagues came.

5)  The death of the first born, in the 10th plague, the people of Egypt, including Pharaoh rose up and drove the people out, as God has said.

7)  Yes, God knew ahead of time that the outcome of the request would be deliverance--see Exodus 3:8.  But, that does not mean that the original request to go and sacrifice was false..  Therefore, it dos not mean that God was deceptive. 

What is the reason/motive for God telling Moses to tell pharaoh that he was leading the Israelites only 3 days journey into the wilderness to sacrifice to Jehovah?

Gregory

• Moderators

Gerry asked, see below:

1)  Your question has several aspects.  So, take your pick.  NOTE:  You can read about this in 1 Samuel 16:

2) David was not to immediately become the king.  Saul reigned as King for some time after this.

3)  Samuel actually did more than anoint David.  He consecrated Jessie and David's brother's--see verse 5.

4) As future events took place, it is clear that both Saul and the people believed that David was intended to replace Saul as king.  This argues against the idea that God was deceptive. 

What was His motive in telling Samuel not to openly declare David as the new king? 

Gregory

• Moderators

Gerry asked, below:

1)  I can think of a couple  of incidents that might be your reference.

2)  However, as you have not specified the exact Biblical reference, I prefer not to speculate.

Why did Jesus say that He was not going to Jerusalem and then privately go there? 

Gregory

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

just an update.

Although the attendance was nowhere close to our expectations, we did have 3 baptisms last Sabbath.  There was supposed to be two more today but came down with a bug.  I believe there were supposed to be 3 or 4 coming in on profession of faith.  I had to leave early for my clinic, so I wasn't there for the whole service.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

The banner is not real the problem.

The problem is presentation; we always start with all kind of "beast" and scary stuff.

Why not start with Gods love, Problem of Sin, Jesus as only way to salvation then all the old fashion method .

We are small outreach in Allentown, PA; we do this approach; church (SDA)does not like our method and we do not get positive support from them ( I mean local church ); even saying the method is wrong..

The higher hierarchy ( GC, Conference and Union ) support us and we still going strong.

The name is Simplicity, check it out. 

• Moderators

Bimo:  The One Project begins with a center on Christ, love and salvation.  Check it out, as you said.

As to "simplicity:"  It would be nice if you would give the actual URL that we     could access.  Checking it out is not easy to do as   it is actually a parachurch movement that embraces many denominations.  A few, as there are more, include: the Mormons, a large number of Pentacostal groups, the Church of Christ and Presbyterians.

The group is so large, and unorganized, that it is not easy to determine  exactly what is involved, although there are some general characteristics.

Gregory

• Members

the Allentown, Pennsylvania, "Simplicity" url is http://www.simplicityoutreach.org/

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Moderators

Thank you Pam.

It would have been a better choice for those who chose the name "simplicity" for them to have not chosen a name that is clearly connected with  Pentacostal parachurch group.

Gregory