ClubAdventist is back!

Sukkot and the Purpose of Life

phkrause

• Members

Finding holiness in day-to-day life.

On Yom Kippur, we disengage from the normal lives that we live and enter a place of holiness. We don’t eat or drink, we wear white to symbolize our angelic origins and we spend the majority of the day in prayer. Then, before you know the holiday of Sukkot arrives and we’re singing and dancing, eating and drinking, and having the time of our lives partying in the sukkah.

http://www.aish.com/h/su/tai/Sukkot-and-the-Purpose-of-Life.html?s=mm

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

• Members

How Is Sukkot Observed?

For forty years, as our ancestors traversed the Sinai Desert prior to their entry into the Holy Land, miraculous "clouds of glory" surrounded and hovered over them, shielding them from the dangers and discomforts of the desert. Ever since, we remember G‑d's kindness and reaffirm our trust in His providence by dwelling in a sukkah – a hut of temporary construction with a roof-covering of branches – for the duration of the autumn Sukkot festival. For seven days and nights, we eat all our meals in the sukkah – reciting a special blessing – and otherwise regard it as our home. Weather permitting, some even sleep there.

http://www.chabad.org/holidays/JewishNewYear/template_cdo/aid/1646477/jewish/How-Is-Sukkot-Observed.htm

phkrause

• Members

"On the first day you are to take branches from luxuriant trees—from palms, willows and other leafy trees—and rejoice before the LORD your God for seven days."  (Leviticus 23:40)

“In sukkot you shall dwell for seven days: all citizens of Israel shall dwell in sukkot.”  (Leviticus 23:42)

It is one of three pilgrimage festivals called Shelosh Regalim (Three Pilgrimages), holidays during which the Jewish People were required to go up together as a nation to the Holy Temple in Jerusalem.

Anyone know the name of the other two?

phkrause

• 11 months later...
  • Members

What's the Reason for the Sukkah?

The word sukkah (pl: sukkot) literally means a “shaded1 booth.” In a rather cryptic verse, the Torah tells us to dwell in a sukkah for seven days so that coming “generations shall know that I caused the children of Israel to dwell in sukkot when I took them out of the land of Egypt.”2

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/3801746/jewish/Whats-the-Reason-for-the-Sukkah.htm

phkrause

• 11 months later...
  • Members

13 Facts About Sukkot Every Jew Should Know

The Jewish Holiday of Sukkot begins at nightfall on the 15th of the Jewish (lunar) month of Tishrei, when the moon is at its zenith. It continues for another seven days, before leading directly into the holiday of Shemini Atzeret/Simchat Torah.

https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/4136798/jewish/13-Facts-About-Sukkot-Every-Jew-Should-Know.htm

phkrause

I would have put a "like" on each post, but that would be overkill.

My next-door neighbor is a very conservative Jew. He's building a sukkah in his back yard; and has invited us over to spend an evening.  I'm honored.  He knows I'm a different type of Christian that believes that Israel is still God's chosen people; and that a Jew will one day rule the world (indeed - the universe).

On 9/20/2018 at 8:54 PM, phkrause said:

13 Facts About Sukkot Every Jew Should Know

The Jewish Holiday of Sukkot begins at nightfall on the 15th of the Jewish (lunar) month of Tishrei, when the moon is at its zenith. It continues for another seven days, before leading directly into the holiday of Shemini Atzeret/Simchat Torah.

https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/4136798/jewish/13-Facts-About-Sukkot-Every-Jew-Should-Know.htm

Shemini Atzeret/Simchat Torah is the 8th Day.  It was to be "a sabbath of rest", (no customary work) but they were no longer required to "dwell in booths" - temporary dwellings. (Leviticus Cpt 23, and Number Cpt 29)

Just another indication that we will celebrate out homecoming - at the 8th millennium.   We will be "home" in the New Earth. 

8thdaypriest

On 9/20/2018 at 9:20 PM, The Wanderer said:

Jesus was a Jew and if you wanna go to heaven, you gonna be a Jew too! - CD Brooks

Nope.  Not a Jew.  An Israelite.   There were 12 tribes, and there are 12 gates into that City.  Doubt anyone knows just which tribe he (a Gentile) will be grafted in to.  

8thdaypriest

On 10/17/2016 at 3:17 PM, phkrause said:

Anyone know the name of the other two?

Spring - Pesach - Passover,  with the Hag Ha Matzah - Feast of Unleavened Bread

Summer - Shavuot - meaning "weeks" - The Feast of Weeks

If I might recommend a book:

The Feasts of the Lord: God's Prophetic Calendar from Calvary to the Kingdom

Hardcover – May 5, 1997 by Kevin Howard (Author), Marvin Rosenthal (Author), Tom Allen (Illustrator)

8thdaypriest

My back patio is trimmed with branch decorations.  It's rained for 10 days with no let-up in sight.  Not great for camping in a sukka.  Temps are 88 to 98 and the humidity is 90-100%  I live 90 minutes from Louisiana.  Definitely NOT a desert!  It's the meaning that counts.  We go out for about 10 minutes - just long enough to say a prayer, then come inside.  The patio decorations are clearly visible through the windows. lol

PS:  The victims of the floods ARE dwelling in temporary shelters.  A donation towards their sheltering might be in order at this time, just as an offering to the LORD in thanks for our blessings. 

8thdaypriest

14 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

Sticking to the scriptures only we see that Jesus was a Jew, and there is no way, nor any reason to deny such. Saying “Jesus was Jewish” sounds so obvious to most Christians that it doesn’t seem worth the energy to deny or debate the subject. It would have been different had you merely questioned it; but to state it as solid fact like you did really doesnt do the subject justice at all.

I was NOT SAYING that Jesus wasn't Jewish.   

I was saying that WE don't all have to be "Jewish" - from THAT TRIBE.

"All Israel will be saved".  Paul did NOT SAY that all Jews will be saved.  Quite the contrary!

8thdaypriest

On 9/25/2018 at 1:19 AM, The Wanderer said:

t's time Christians faced up to the fact that Jesus was Jewish to the core

a Jew by faith, by temperament and by spiritual ambition; a Jew in his relentless ethicism,

Jesus was the Messiah

...and one day this Jew will rule the world (indeed - the universe).  If I wasn't an SDA I'd be a Messianic Jew.

16 hours ago, JoeMo said:

...and one day this Jew will rule the world (indeed - the universe).  If I wasn't an SDA I'd be a Messianic Jew.

There are things I like about Messianic Judaism, and there are things I don't like.  While I do celebrate "the Feasts of the LORD", and I like learning about the roots of doctrines and ceremonies, I see no need to chant prayers in Hebrew.  Our God understands every language.  If someday,  Hebrew becomes the one universal language, (which I doubt) I'm sure the LORD will give us all that language.   

I see Evangelical Christians falling into a trap, a masterpiece of deception set by Satan.  Part of this deception holds that present day Jews are STILL God's CHOSEN PEOPLE - even though they rejected His Son, and still do.   I believe they are presently "broken off because of unbelief".  I do not believe they will all suddenly come to believe in Christ WHEN HE returns in glory, will instantly be forgiven, and will then rule the world under Christ.  That is - in my opinion - a misapplication of prophecies. 

They will however, believe in the counterfeit Christ - Satan himself (or a human that Satan channels), who will appear gloriously in a rebuilt Temple on the Mount.   The whole world will be taken in the deception - except those whose names are written in the Book for Life. 

8thdaypriest

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Members

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstaticapp.icpsc.c
Blessings on the Feast of Tabernacles (Sukkot). This man prays toward the 
Temple Mount where the Holy Temple stood in Jerusalem when Yeshua lived.

Happy Sukkot!

"On the fifteenth day of the seventh month the Lord’s Feast of Tabernacles begins, and it lasts for seven days.  The first day is a sacred assembly; do no regular work.  For seven days present offerings made to the Lord by fire, and on the eighth day hold a sacred assembly and present an offering made to the Lord by fire.  It is the closing assembly; do no regular work." (Leviticus 23:3436)

Tonight begins the Festival of Sukkot (Tabernacles).

Here in Israel and around the world, the Jewish People are spending time in the sukkot (plural of sukkah) that they built when Yom Kippur ended just days ago.

This holiday is a pilgrimage festival linked to the fall harvest, so it is also known as Chag HaAsif (Festival of Ingathering).  

In Biblical times, every Israelite went up to Jerusalem to celebrate Sukkot at the Temple.

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstaticapp.icpsc.cmail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstaticapp.icpsc.c
Sukkot are everywhere in Israel right now. It's such a sight to see! You find 
them on balconies and verandas, in alleys, and even beside pools. Many families eat their meals in the sukkah. Some also host a sukkah party in there during the Feast.

Sukkot is a commemoration of the 40 years that Israel wandered in the wilderness and lived in temporary dwellings following the exodus from Egypt.

"Live in booths [sukkot] for seven days:  All native-born Israelites are to live in booths so your descendants will know that I had the Israelites live in booths when I brought them out of Egypt.'"  (Leviticus 23:4243)

This holiday is a very joyous one, so much so that it is also called Z'man Simchateinu, the Season of Rejoicing!

"On the first day you are to take choice fruit from the trees, and palm fronds, leafy branches and poplars, and rejoice before the Lord your God for seven days."  (Leviticus 23:40, see also Nehemiah 8:15)

A Jewish man faces east toward Jerusalem and prays while waving the lulav 
and the etrog in his sukkah. The etrog (in the left hand) and lulav (in the 
right hand) are held together in the traditional fashion and waved or shook
toward the east, south, west and north.

While one of the main observances of this holiday is spending time in the sukkah, the lulav (a bundle of date palm fond, myrtle, and willow) and an etrog (a deliciously fragrant lemon-like citrus) are also waved before the Lord.

When the Temple stood, this waving ceremony was performed on all seven days of Sukkot at the Holy Temple in Jerusalem.

Sukkot, which follows right after Rosh HaShanah (Day of Judgment) and Yom Kippur (the day the judgment is sealed), represents renewed fellowship with God.

Since the etrog (citron) is used in a religious ceremony, it must be absolutely 
perfect. Great care and delight is taken in finding one that is perfectly formed,
beautiful, and without blemish.

We all look forward to the future fulfillment of this Day of Ingathering when the Jewish People are gathered and Messiah will reign on the earth (Isaiah 27:1213; Jeremiah 23:78).

At that time, the Bible says, the nations will come before the Lord during the Feast of Sukkot to worship Him in Jerusalem.

"Then the survivors from all the nations that have attacked Jerusalem will go up year after year to worship the King, the Lord Almighty, and to celebrate the Feast of Tabernacles." (Zechariah 14:16)

phkrause

• Members

In Chicago, a Black-led church and a Jewish community are addressing painful history through a Sukkot festival

CHICAGO (JTA) — Earlier this month, 40 people gathered in Chicago’s Lawndale neighborhood to design a sukkah.

https://www.jta.org/2023/09/29/culture/in-chicago-a-black-led-church-and-a-jewish-community-are-addressing-painful-history-through-a-sukkot-festival?

phkrause