ClubAdventist is back!

Something Sounds a Little Wrong

cricket

Andrews University President, Two Vice Presidents, Resign

Niels-Erik Andreasen has submitted his resignation from the office of the president of Andrews University, effective immediately. This resignation was accepted, with regret, by the Board. Even with this decision, he will continue to serve and advise Andrews while he seeks another position and the work of identifying his replacement begins.

Patricia Mutch, vice president for academic administration, and Edward Wines, vice president of financial administration, also submitted their resignations. The Board also accepted these resignations, with regret, to be effective June 30. Their work over the next few months will provide administrative direction for the university as theirs and the president’s replacements are identified.

In accepting their resignations, the Board commended these individuals for guiding the university during a significant and challenging time in the university’s history.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stan

• Gregory Matthews

• Jeannieb43

• Nicodema

• Moderators

Here is some additional material that was not cited in the above post:

"n March 6, the Andrews University Board of Trustees held its spring meeting on the campus of Andrews University. An executive session of the Board that day very carefully examined the recent strategic direction of the university and its related plans for the future. As it discussed these issues, the Board felt that the university needed to explore the opportunities that would be offered by new leadership and the ability it would provide to implement a new strategic direction that fulfills the mission and vision of the university."

This, as well as the citation in the first post comes from a news item reported by the REVIEW.

Gregory

• Moderators

This is a tragedy for the University.

I understand Dr. Andreasen's letter of resignation was a total shock and surprise to the Board.

There was a "Board/Faculty/Retirees dinner and games" scheduled for after the Board meeting on Monday night, but the games were canceled because everyone was so sad. Several were weeping.

Dr. Andreasen has been one of the strongest presidents that university has seen. He must have thought long and hard before doing this. I understand the problems are mainly financial.

IMHO, the General Conference better get busy and rescue that university. It's brought our church into extremely high standing among similar universities in the country. Now is not the time to let it flounder.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

Um, did somebody like delete my post invisibly here or something? I posted asking for a description in plain ordinary language what all of this means. I am not able to comprehend all the "formal speech" used here. What is going wrong at AU and why are all these important staff resigning? Does this mean I should cancel my plans to go there this fall? Someone help me out here, I don't understand this stuff. Thanks.

"After such knowledge, what forgiveness?" -- T.S. Eliot

• Moderators

Nico:

The only authorative information I have is the announcement in the on-line REVIEW.

Reading between those lines, it looks to me like the governing board wanted some kind of change in direction. Yet, I do not see any indication that they asked for them to resign. Perhaps (?) they did? Perhaps the three who resigned simply sensed that a change in direction was desired, and therefore submitted their resignation without being asked?

In any case, I also do not understand what is going on.

Gregory

Yeah, I read it ... I just don't know what it MEANS. frown.gif

I don't (yet) have any insided information, though I expect some before long.

However, the bureaucratic death sentence is contained in this clause:

Quote:

the Board felt that the university needed to explore the opportunities that would be offered by
new leadership

That's the bureaucratic equivalent of leaving the guy alone with a loaded revolver. It may have been a shock to the faculty, but it shouldn't have been to the board. Usually, "new leadership" requires new leaders.

As an alumnus of AU, this concerns me greatly. All my information was how excellent Andreason was as Pres.

Losing three top people at once will cause considerable shock to the system.

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

Yeah, that's about all I can make of it, too, without knowing particulars, which obviously I don't know.

Ed as an alumnus do you have any contacts from whom you might learn details? I'm planning to go there this fall to finish my (long-abandoned) degree and I need to know if whatever is happening is something that should warrant a change of plans -- even if no one tells me what the "WHAT" is I need to know if it's anything I should be changing my plans over.

• Moderators

Ed:

That is exactly the reason I believe that someone wanted new leadership, plus that the top three resigned.

Gregory

But the question is WHY ... since everyone seemed to appreciate Andreason and have nothing but good to say regarding his leadership?

Lesser known: the academic advisor of the theology department is leaving too. He told me when I contacted him about going over my transcript etc. to see what I should take for classes in order to graduate. He said he was waiting to hear about a position in the Phillippines which makes me wonder whether he was bailing on AU for some unknown reason or whether he simply saw an opportunity elsewhere and felt called there instead. I didn't ask, because at the time I didn't know anything was amiss, but (much to everyone's dismay) I can often "read the air" on things and I "read" that something more was going on than met the eye.

People generally don't like it when I "out" the "something more" and so because he was a stranger to me I didn't pursue it. But now -- as usual! -- more info comes to light giving me cause to think no, that was NOT all in my head ... so yeah some FACTS rather than just wondering (without even a sufficient groundwork for speculation to keep my brain occupied! shocked.gif) would be a good thing right about now ... tongue.gif

Nico,

Two of my best friends are dept. heads at the Seminary. Both are on sabbatical right now, but will be returning soon.

As far as your plans, I doubt this will have any significant impact on undergraduates in the short term. The key word in all these announcements is "strategic." Those are long term objectives which shouldn't affect undergrads, especially in areas like Religion.

If it were my kids planning to go there, I wouldn't hesitate to follow through on those plans over this.

Understand, Andrews is like an large SDA center. You get all kinds there, and doing business with Adventists can test your faith. I personally hate the humidity.

At the same time, the seminary makes Andrews one of our most cosmopolitan schools; people from all over the world attend there. And just as you can find the cranks, you have the opportunity to meet beautiful Christian Adventists from all over the world. I enjoyed my time there.

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

• Moderators

My source is a retired staff member, who attended the Faculty/Board/Retirees' dinner and who heard the news first-hand. She emailed me Monday night. I didn't want to be the first to break the news here.

But it was a total shock and surprise when the president arrived at the board meeting, submitted his letter of resignation and then left the meeting. At first they thought he had moved away. It's obvious he's been planning this. But as Stan says, the spring board meeting is always the meeting at which faculty and staff hiring is done.

The president and his wife are friends of mine. I have not called them about this since I know it must be a very difficult time for them right now.

Nico, I would not worry about your education. The university has strong credentials. Hopefully your department will remain pretty much intact, even though the advisor might leave. Let me assure you, that university is a cosmopolitan campus, with the brightest and best students from around the WORLD. They've recently raised their admission standards [sAT scores, for example] and are also giving scholarships to undergrads who remain for the entire four years. They are doing very creative stuff there.

The graduate schools have always been strong.

OK, thanks for the input, Ed & Jeannie. I'm glad, because I'm rather looking forward to going there.

• Moderators

Update:

I've now heard from another friend on campus, a high-level administrative assistant, who says there's such a sense of sadness on the campus - it is hard to describe. It feels as though there has been a death in the family. Please remember us [them] in your prayers.

Also: I have registered my vehement objection to the language used in the press release prepared by University Relations and reprinted in the Adventist Review. It implies that the Board asked Dr. Andreasen for his resignation -- which is a total fabrication. It was Dr. A's resignation, along with his suggesting to the Board that there could/should be a new "realignment" which caused the [shocked, surprised] board to reluctantly accept his resignation.

My contact there on campus said my feeling is shared by many, and that University Relations may be coming out with a correction. (I have no assurance of the latter -- but they should.)

• Moderators

Nico, I also think this primarily involves the Seminary, and not the undergraduate college.

Gregory

Update from another forum

Dr. Niels-Erik Andreasen to Serve as President of Andrews University until June 30

A specially called meeting of the Andrews University Board of Trustees convened on March 9 at 7:00 pm. The Board took an action asking Dr. Niels-Erik Andreasen to continue serving as president of the university for the remainder of its fiscal year, ending June 30. Andreasen agreed to the request.

Andreasen had served as president of the university for 12 years until his resignation at the regular Board meeting on March 6.

At a break during that meeting, the leadership of the board asked Dr. Andreasen for his resignation and he agreed. When he wrote his resignation letter, Andreasen stated that it would be "effective immediately." Apparently, it was that phrase which was the root of a misunderstanding between Andreasen and the Board. Andreasen thought the Board was wishing for his resignation to be immediate while the Board, upon receipt of his letter, assumed that it was Andreasen's wish for a quick conclusion.

After that meeting, some trustees talked further with Andreasen and recognized the misunderstanding that had emerged. They, in turn, asked Elder Gerald Karst, chair of the Board of Trustees and general vice president of the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists, to call a special meeting to ask for clarification.

The meeting was called and the Board voted overwhelmingly to ask Dr. Andreasen to serve in his current capacity until June 30, to help ensure stability and continuity in the university's operations as new leadership is identified and put in place.

"Dr. Andreasen is a gifted thinker and servant leader who has given valuable leadership to Andrews for more than a decade," says Elder Karst "Although the board has determined that Andrews needs some of the opportunities that could be offered by new leadership, I'm pleased that Dr. Andreasen will be staying by for the remainder of this school year."

On March 6, the board's requested resignations of Dr. Andreasen, along with two vice presidents, followed a number of years of strategic discussions that began following significant financial losses for the university during the 2000-2001 and 2001-2002 fiscal years.

While improvements had been made, the board felt that the modest growth in revenue and student populations during these years did not match the scope and speed needed to equip the university for successful long-term operations and growth.

A 13-member presidential search committee will now be appointed, and will be made up of board members, university faculty, staff, alumni and student representatives.

The full board will meet again before the end of March to complete voting and endorsement of new faculty and staff appointments, the budget for the 2006-2007 fiscal year, and other unfinished business from its March 6 agenda.

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

I would not be to concerned. Whatever the reasons these men have the highest recommendations and they can go on to get other jobs within our outside the church. It may be they decided it was time to move on for political or whatever reasons.

riverside.gif Riverside CA

• Moderators

Interesting: it's very clear from what Dr Andreassen says that he didn't jump, he was pushed, and that the decision came from the board to him (suggesting that the board was, in fact, *not* shocked and surprised). The very, very long applause for him is telling.

If there wasn't a scandal, perhaps there is one in the very disparate versions of events being given out: everyone seems very keen to avoid being the ones who initiated the change...

I guess it comes down to whether people feel that the Board in fact has a coherent vision for the future direction of the University. It'll be interesting to see how they articulate that.

Truth is important

Quote:

Stan Jensen said:

The rumormill is working... it includes heading up or building a seminary in Loma Linda/ La Serria area...

I can only ask, why? confused.gif

M