ClubAdventist is back!

Is Scientology compatible with Christianity?

Sojourner

Recently I saw the newly released documentary on Scientology by Louis Theroux. Seemed pretty good and went into not only their Dianetics but also some practical examples of the training from an ex member.

I have to admit to being a little confused as to how it relates to Christianity though. My understanding was that they taught that all religious historical imagery was implanted and are false accounts, yet I have then read that L Ron Hubbard believes in the existance of Christ and suggests tjat he was at some type of thetan level. 

What I am reading is that the Church of Scientology are suggesting that membership in their organisation is compatible with Christianity. I wondered how the SDA might feel about if they consider membership in the SDA to be likewise compatible with Scientology? 

I am hoping to locate an original copy of the Dianetics book which was first released before the group transitioned into being an actual church. From the little that I have seen it seems that it is a process similar to a school of psychology. I am not sure how it goes on from there. 

So? Over to the rest of the group what are your thoughts on the COS and is it compatible with Christianity? 

• Moderators

Christianity is founded on the teaching of Jesus Christ, as revealed in the Bible.

Scientology is founded on the teachings of Ron Hubbard who was a prominent science fiction novelist.

So, take your pick as to which you should believe.

By the way, Scientology/Dianetics in not founded on science.  So, do not consider Scientology to be the study of science.

Gregory

Scientology is not the least bit compatible with biblical Christianity (e.g., a trinity, the existence of one God, salvation by grace, etc.).  It is totally a "religion" of works.  Rumor has it that L. Ron Hubbard started Dianetics as a psychology research project, and turned it into a church on a bet or a dare by other Science fiction writers like Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, and Arthur Clark.  Hubbard is also rumored to have stated that the best way to make a fortune is to start a religion.  See http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/2671/is-there-any-evidence-for-the-bet-between-robert-a-heinlein-and-l-ron-hubbard and related sites for more info.

• Moderators

For an extensive account of the life and times fo L. Ron Hubbard, see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._Ron_Hubbard

Note his background in the occult.

There is much more to consider.

As JoMo said, in no way could it be considered Christian as is commonly defined.

Why would you want to associate with a religion of its background?

Gregory

What I am reading online appears to be very conflicted. I found one chap who is a Christian Pastor who says he has found nothing in conflict with his Christian faith in Scientology. As above I found the quote from L Ron Hubbard about Jesus Christ being at the level of a 'Clear'. Yet then I have found more information that alleges that Christianity is an infection of an R type series chip and can be removed at a higher  thetan level of training. 

Perhaps the problem is that unlike a church group, the doctrines or teachings are not published and made available for study and reason?

• Moderators

Again the basics include this:  What is your authority?  Is it L. Ron Hubbard?  Is it the Bible?  Christians believe that it is the Bible. 

Another basic is this:  Who is your savior?  Is it Jesus Christ?  Is salvation found in L. Ron Hubbard?  If it is L. Ron Hubbard, you have departed from Christianity.

Gregory

I've never encountered Scientologists myself.  But this site has links to several accounts from former members over the years and copies of some Scientologist materials. http://www.xenu.net/

My understanding is that most of the weird spiritual claims in Scientology are not meant to be introduced until the member has been prepared through several courses of training and auditing.   At the entry level they will claim Scientology does not conflict with other religions, and will not present any obviously conflicting material.   But the system is designed to weaken the individual until they are eventually made receptive to strange ideas, typically after being put in substantial debt from expensive courses and auditing sessions. 

• Like 2

To be an agent of creation is to serve the Creator.