ClubAdventist is back!

Unqualified or disqualified?

Gail

• Administrators

I think this happened with the Harris Pine Mills but I see it also in my workplace. It is hiring people who are not qualified to do the job. 

There are things that I see where I am that make our outfit look unprofessional and it bothers me. I take care to always be learning something, even if it's only to advance my persoal knowledge. But when I recently took it upon myself to research merchandising did it hit me how little emphasis on this has been placed. 

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

We are waist deep in the middle of something like this. The rationale is that they can't afford the qualified people so they put whoever has a pulse and breathing in the position and then cross their fingers and hope for the best. And the best excuse ever? Because they are doing "God's work" He will take care of them, so just keep doing what you are doing. Rarely does a day go by that I'm not amazed at what they are doing. Oh and I've heard them say that college degrees doesn't mean you are qualified for something---ummm, actually it does. But I've heard this saying in church too. And I'm beginning to wonder if this is a new thought running around that a college education means nothing? And if so, where are they getting this from?

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

• Members

one doesn't need a college degree to have work ethics...

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

This is true, but if I need a doctor, I want one with a college degree, not just someone who "has a heart for service". :)

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

• Members

I didn't think Harris Pine Mills jobs were "professions."  Of course, when one seeks professional service where a degree is required, one doesn't seek a non-diploma'd person.

But no matter if someone has a "profession" or has a crafting job or is a clerk — a modicum of good work ethics is high on my list of what to look for in employees and potential employees.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Moderators

I see this so often in medical and dental offices.   The clerical workers, who usually wear uniforms to look like nurses, are these days usually just graduates of some 3-month course in a technical school which doesn't teach proper sterile technique or professional demeanor, or even polite manners.   The medical people are being required to perform so many more menial procedures [e.g., insurance forms, etc.] that the doctors and dentists are hiring clerks and training them to do one single procedure repeatedly -- without being concerned with the "big picture" and these high school graduates think they've "arrived" when they wear a uniform and work in a big office.   But their coarseness shows through.   There's no silk purse being made out of the sow's ear.

I don't blame the doctors and dentists; they're being forced to save expenses on personnel because of cutbacks in their insurance reimbursement payments.   It's a vicious circle.  The doctors and dentists are having to scale back all their expenses because their incomes have been cut radically by insurance companies.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....