ClubAdventist is back!

The comfort of an old dog

Gail

• Administrators

We have three middle-aged dogs. Our one boy, CocoaRico, is aging prematurely, likely due to a chronic  infection of two weight-bearing toes on his front paw. Our options with him are either to amputate those toes or to keep him on antibiotics for the rest of his life. On a good day, he will run and play (he loves to run and play with other dogs- social able to a fault)

On a bad day he limps and avoids jumping and using his painful paw.

Unfortunately, he only feels really good when on high doses of painkillers and antibiotics. 

This dog has a heart of gold. He patiently endures the bitchiness of his daughter and sister. He intuitively knows when Mummy has another migraine and kisses her in sympathy. He loves to cuddle up and watch TV with his people. A Vizsla, he loves to "stick" himself onto humans, even strangers. All while putting up with chronic pain.

He is our Job. And when I am with him it makes me think of how patient and loving God is with me.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Members

I love dogs.  If I was on a deserted island and could choose a companion of either another person or a dog, I'd choose a dog.  Dogs think their owners are the most spectacular, awesome, creatures on the face of the planet.  Dogs don't judge.  They aren't mean-spirited.  They don't make fun of you.  They aren't condescending and patronizing.  They don't demean you. They love you no matter what. 

All in all, dogs are more "Christian" than people.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Administrators

And on a deserted island, a dog would potentially have more useful and helpful survivial skills that another human wouldn't have and that would benefit both! 

• Like 3

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

I love my old dog.  She knows my routines better than I do.  She goes and gets in her cage when she sees me getting ready to go, without me having to tell her.  She greets me at the door when I come back.  I know and interact with other people, but primarily it is my wife and our dog. 

The thing I dislike about dogs is you grow so attached to them and vise versa.  Then when you have to depart it hurts so much.  I had this happen

to me once before.   That's life I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this thread intended to be a dog love-in?  We are on our last dog.  We didn't think she would live through 2016 and here we are in 2017.  She has gotten weaker and weaker, has many enlarged organs and lumps, has to have her paw treated with Voltarin, her eye drops and her ear drops.  But she eats as good as any dog and her digestive tract is in good working order. 

But her muscles are so weak she eats laying down flat on the floor and can't get up stairs etc.   We love Tina to death, and this lengthy time of deterioration I think is giving us time to get ready for when she leaves us.  We have refused to fly anywhere because she couldn't go with us, we won't leave her with a kennel or sitter because we want to be with her at "the end".

She has run our lives for over 2 years but we wouldn't have it any other way.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gail,

The title of your thread here to me is: The comfort of a dog.  They don't have to be old to provide a lot of comfort. 

Sorry your one dog is getting all crippled up.  I have a small dog that is suffering from Grade 3 patellar luxation in his right hind leg.  It does not seem to cause him pain, but it sure does cause me pain to see him limping.