ClubAdventist is back!

"Love...is not self-seeking" 1 Cor. 13:5

Robert

Every sin we commit is based on the principle of "self". Some among us "boast" that they do not "practice sin", but the truth of the matter is they do.

As I have said many times before, Christ absolutely proved that if you live a life free from self-seeking you would become destitute.

For those who wish to discuss this I welcome the input, only I wish to stay to the subject.

My reason for bring up this particular point is not so one will sell all his possessions. My point is normally a response to those who insist we keep certain rules to enter into life.

Paul's response to such a demand was one then must keep the whole law, i.e., all the rules in the book of the law.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robert

• there buster

• David Koot

• Gerr

Quote:

archierieus said:

Are you interested in a discussion, or in making a presentation?

I am interested in discussing this principle.

Don't get me wrong...I am not stating that just because we don't measure up [i.e., fall short] doesn't mean we should turn back and enjoy sin. That's Paul's whole point in Phil 3:16 when he says, "Only let us live up to what we have already attained."

I think that a discussion would be interesting, but as for me personally, if I am going to participate, I ask that the discussion be from Scripture. And PLEASE don't train your big guns on me and fire a barrage of quotations. I consider that a big waste of time, and NOT a discussion, but a presentation.

As for your opening statement, that all sin is based on the principle of self, I wouldn't disagree with that. However, your next statement I disagree with:

"Christ absolutely proved that if you live a life free from self-seeking you would become destitute."

Please give your Scriptural support for that assertion. Brevity would be most appreciated.

Dave

Quote:

archierieus said:
Please give your Scriptural support for that assertion. Brevity would be most appreciated.

Matt 19:21 Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven, [:"red"]and come, follow me[/]."

Luke 9:57 As they were walking along the road, a man said to him, “[:"red"]I will follow you wherever you go[/].” 58 Jesus replied, “Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.”

• Moderators

Quote:

archierieus said:

I think that a discussion would be interesting, but as for me personally, if I am going to participate, I ask that the discussion be from Scripture. And PLEASE don't train your big guns on me and fire a barrage of quotations. I consider that a big waste of time, and NOT a discussion, but a presentation.

As for your opening statement, that all sin is based on the principle of self, I wouldn't disagree with that. However, your next statement I disagree with:

"Christ absolutely proved that if you live a life free from self-seeking you would become destitute."

Dave

[:"blue"]By his own definition of what constitutes "a life free from self-seeking", i.e. to get rid ALL of one's possessions, of course one would become destitute! That would be like me telling my patients, "if you don't eat you will lose weight!"

[/] Gerry

• Moderators

Quote:

Robert said:

Quote:

archierieus said:

Matt 19:21 Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven, [:"red"]and come, follow me[/]."

Luke 9:57 As they were walking along the road, a man said to him, “[:"red"]I will follow you wherever you go[/].” 58 Jesus replied, “Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.”

[:"blue"] Is this literal that He had no place to lay His head?

[:"red"]Again, the next day, John stood with two of His disciples. And looking at Jesus as He walked, he said, "Behold the Lamb of God!"

The two disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jesus. Then Jesus turned, and seeing them following, said to them, "What do you seek?"

They said to Him, "Rabbi" (which is to say, when translated, Teacher), "where are You staying?"

He said to them, "Come and see." They came and saw where He was staying, and remained with Him that day (now it was about the tenth hour). Jn 1:35-39 NKJ [/]

And while you are at it, why don't you add this to your gospel of homelessness, this gospel of hatred also?

[:"red"]If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple. Lk 14:26 NKJ [/]

Or this gospel of self-mutilation?

[:"red"] If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out.....And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off..." Mt 5:29,30 NKJ [/] [/]

Gerry

Quote:

Gerry Cabalo said:
Is this literal that He had no place to lay His head?

Is Luke a symbolic book like Revelation? No! So "yes" since Christ doesn't lie I would say it is literal.

Quote:

They said to Him, "Rabbi" (which is to say, when translated, Teacher), "where are You staying?" He said to them, "Come and see." They came and saw where He was staying, and remained with Him that day (now it was about the tenth hour). Jn 1:35-39 NKJ

The above doesn't say he was "staying" at a home! He could have been staying in a cave or under a group of trees, but where ever He stayed there wasn't a hint of self-seeking in his life.

Now please tell me what would happen to you IF you followed the following commands:

Luke 6:33 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

34 And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even ‘sinners’ lend to ‘sinners,’ expecting to be repaid in full. 35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

Quote:

Robert said:

Matt 19:21 Jesus said to him, ?If you would
be perfect
, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven,
[:"red"]and come, follow me[/]
."

Focusing on this verse, several questions come to mind:

1) Do you propose to apply this command to everyone who believes in Jesus? If so, on what basis?

2) Did Jesus tell everyone who chose to believe in Him, to sell all that he or she had? If that is your contention, please provide Scriptural support, showing from Scripture the following: (a) that Jesus did in fact give this command to each and every person who should choose to believe in Him; and (B) that there was noone who chose to believe in Him, to whom He did NOT give this command.

3) On what Scriptural basis do you allege that this man would have been destitute, had he complied with Jesus' command?

Quote:

Luke 9:57 As they were walking along the road, a man said to him, ?[:"red"]
I will follow you wherever you go[/]
.? 58 Jesus replied, ?Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests,
but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head
.?

Very well, Jesus here describes His personal situation. On what Scriptural basis do you assert that Jesus intended for anyone who should believe in Him, to have no place to lay his head?

I do look forward to seeing your Scriptural support, Robert. As we are beginning this discussion, permit me to mention a couple of things by way of boundaries. Statements such as, "No heaven for you," and the like, are blasphemous, taking the prerogative of God. They are unacceptable in THIS discussion. Personal jibes, attacks, judgmental statements and personal ridicule, are off-limits here. If such things begin to surface in our discussion, you will find yourself carrying on a monologue.

I do look forward to seeing your Scriptural support.

Regards, Dave

• Moderators

Quote:

My reason for bring up this particular point is not so one will sell all his possessions. My point is normally a response to those who insist we keep certain rules to enter into life.

Paul's response to such a demand was one then must keep the whole law, i.e., all the rules in the book of the law.

[:"blue"] Therefore, is it your contention then since we cannot perfectly keep the law according to you, we should not keep any law?[/]

Gerry

• Moderators

Quote:

Robert said:

Quote:

Gerry Cabalo said:

Is this literal that He had no place to lay His head?

Is Luke a symbolic book like Revelation? No! So "yes" since Christ doesn't lie I would say it is literal.

[:"blue"] Are Daniel & Revelation the only symbolic books? Are they the only ones that use metaphors?

Ok, how do you understand this verse in Luke 22:19, "This is My body (speaking of the bread) which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me." Do you understand this to mean that the bread is the literal body of Jesus just like the Catholics believe it to be?

Or how about this: "The stone which the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone. Whoever falls on that stone will be broken; but on whomever it falls, it will grind him to powder." Lk 20:17,18 NKJ. Is this literal or symbolic?[/]

Quote:

Quote:

They said to Him, "Rabbi" (which is to say, when translated, Teacher), "where are You staying?" He said to them, "Come and see." They came and saw where He was staying, and remained with Him that day (now it was about the tenth hour). Jn 1:35-39 NKJ

The above doesn't say he was "staying" at a home! He could have been staying in a cave or under a group of trees,

[:"blue"]Whether in a cave, at home, or under a tree, He did have a place to lay His head, didn't He? So, your literalistic interpretation does not hold up water. [/]

but where ever He stayed there wasn't a hint of self-seeking in his life.

[:"blue"]Is it self-seeking for anyone to work so they could feed, house & clothe their family & themselves? [/]

Quote:

Now please tell me what would happen to you IF you followed the following commands:

Luke 6:33 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you,
do not demand it back
. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

34 And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even ‘sinners’ lend to ‘sinners,’ expecting to be repaid in full. 35 But love your enemies, do good to them,
and lend to them without expecting to get anything back.
Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

[:"blue"]That is exactly what I try to do, and I'm not any poorer for doing so. And what happens to me? Why, I get letters thanking me for helping them! It gives me satisfaction that I have helped someone, and I'm not any poorer for it! I don't want to broadcast my works of charity in the forum, but I can give you the names of organizations & agencies that I contribute to that I can send you by e-mail if you are interested. [/]

Gerry

Quote:

Gerry Cabalo said:

It gives me satisfaction that I have helped someone, and I'm not any poorer for it! I don't want to broadcast my works of charity in the forum, but I can give you the names of organizations & agencies that I contribute to that I can send you by e-mail if you are interested. [/]

Gerry

While I would like to acknowledge your right to keep private your works of charitable deeds, Gerry, it doesn't seem to me the gospel is advanced when we try to keep hidden what God has led us to do. Or put in another way, if we have invited the Spirit of God into our lives, acknowledging that of ourselves we are selfish individuals, and the Holy Spirit leads us to give generously of our time or goods, then we make effort to keep ourselves hidden as the channel God uses, how does that glorify God?

[:"red"] "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." [/] Matthew 5:16 KJV

[:"red"] "And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony " [/] Revelation 12:11 KJV Bold mine LHC

It is understood by this disciple that to "toot our own horn" is counter productive for revealing the gospel of Jesus. However to refuse to lend support to God's miraculous powers to change our lives into examples of righteousness seems at best to restrict God's purposes of spreading the gospel.

[:"red"] "TAKE CARE not to do your good deeds publicly or before men, in order to be seen by them ; otherwise you will have no reward [ reserved for and awaiting you] with and from your Father Who is in heaven.

" [/] Matthew 6:2 AMP brackets theirs bold mine LHC

[:"red"] "Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house." [/] Matthew 5:15 KJV

[:"red"] "...and where I am, there My servant will be also; if anyone serves Me, the Father will honor him" [/] John 12:26 NASB

DOVE.gif

Lift Jesus up!!

Quote:

Gerry Cabalo said:
That is exactly what I try to do, and I'm not any poorer for doing so....I don't want to broadcast my works of charity in the forum, but I can give you the names of organizations & agencies that I contribute to that I can send you by e-mail if you are interested.

Gerry,

The quote I gave you said nothing about charities and such. Let's read it again:

Luke 6:33 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back.....34 And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even ‘sinners’ lend to ‘sinners,’ expecting to be repaid in full. 35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back.

Again, how long would it be until your possessions were gone?

Jesus gave up heaven [not that He coveted it]....He didn't give it up just for 3 days. When Christ died He was saying goodbye to life forever so that His enemies could enter heaven in His place. He gave up ALL - heaven and it's riches - even His own life so that sinners could enter in His place. He became poor [the natural result of living selflessly in this world] so that you could become wealthy, not here, but in heaven.

Rob

Quote:

archierieus said:

Quote:

Robert said:

Matt 19:21 Jesus said to him, ?If you would
be perfect
, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven,
[:"red"]and come, follow me[/]
."

Focusing on this verse, several questions come to mind:

1) Do you propose to apply this command to everyone who believes in Jesus? If so, on what basis?

It depends on how one approaches Christ. The context reveals that the rich young ruler was a self-righteous cat....That is clear from his question:

"Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?"

What was Christ's answer? Keep the commandments!

The guy asks, "Which ones"? Jesus gives him the last six, only He replaces the 10th commandment [you shall not covet] with "you shall love your neighbor as you love yourself".*

So in this context Christ is expanding our typical view of coveting. In a nutshell He is saying that coveting is anything outside loving one's neighbor as he/she naturally loves himself/herself.

* Notes:

Matt 19:17 Jesus: If you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.”

18 He [the rich young ruler] said to Him, “Which ones?”

And Jesus said,

[6th] You shall not commit murder

[7th] You shall not commit adultery

[8th] You shall not steal

[9th] You shall not bear false witness;

[5th] Honor your father and mother; and

[10th] "You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

[Rich young ruler, probably in a bragging tone] All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”

Jesus: “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

Did the rich ruler love himself or his neighbor? IF he loved his neighbor as he naturally loved himself then his neighbor would have his goodies!

Remember this man wanted heaven by being good! And in return Christ gave him the law [the measuring stick of goodness]. The man said he had being keeping it all his life, but Christ presents to him the spirit of the law. As Paul says, "Love...is not self-seeking"!

So if this man wanted heaven by works, then he needed to be selfless....He needed to love his neighbor instead of himself. That's agape...not an inward love, but an outward love that seeks not her own.

If you love without self in mind in this world you will be dirt poor, just like Christ. That's my point. Hence, "all...fall short of the glory of God."

Rob

Quote:

Gerry Cabalo said:

Quote:

[:"blue"] Therefore, is it your contention then since we cannot perfectly keep the law according to you, we should not keep any law?[/]

Gerry

I have already answered this:

"Don't get me wrong...I am not stating that just because we don't measure up [i.e., fall short] doesn't mean we should turn back and enjoy sin. That's Paul's whole point in Phil 3:16 when he says, "Only let us live up to what we have already attained."

Quote:

So in this context Christ is expanding our typical view of coveting. In a nutshell He is saying that coveting is anything outside loving one's neighbor as he/she naturally loves himself/herself.

No, that is false. If Christ was addressing coveting He was perfectly capable of saying, "You are coveting." Or we might see the gospel writer inject "thus he spoke to those who covet." Such editorial comments are common in the Gospels.

Jesus is quite specific, "If you would be perfect," he says, directly addressing the "rich young ruler."

Universalizing this text is not warranted. Especially when we have this editorial comment from Matthew "22When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth." So Matthew is focusing our attention on this particular person's situation.

Luke, who also records this episode, includes this focusing statement. Both scriptural sources attest that Jesus spoke to this particular young man's situation.

Jesus did not say this to everyone with "great wealth," for example Nicodemus.

Your text about "the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head," is again a particular statement to a particular individual. It is one of only two times Jesus mentions the fox.

He said different things to different people, depending upon their circumstances.

Your position that everyone who truly follows Christ would be "destitute" misreads and misstates His own situation, His mission, and His teaching.

On that same basis, we might as well insist that everyon be single, and be an itinerant preacher.

In addition, it overlooks his thirty years as a "capitalist" carpenter, to use your Marxist rhetoric.

Your premisses are false, and your conclusion is unsupported.

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

Quote:

Ed Dickerson said:

On that same basis, we might as well insist that everyon be single, and be an itinerant preacher.

Capital, Ed, capital! If one were to list characteristics of Jesus' lifestyle and attempt to universalize them, then the following would be included:

Single

Unemployed

Homeless

Worked Miracles

Only One Outer Garment

Itinerant Preacher

Crucified

Does God call everyone to be single? No.

Does God call everyone to be unemployed? What does Paul have to say about that? How about the Fourth Commandment (Ex. 20:9)

Does God call everyone to be homeless? Well, how about it? what is the evidence either way?

Does God call everyone today to work miracles?

Does God call everyone to have only one outer garment?

Does God call everyone to be an itinerant preacher? No, definitely not.

Does God call everyone to be crucified? Most definitely not.

These are some examples. The point, I think, is that some features of Christ's lifestyle were unique to Him.

What do you think?

Quote:

Robert said:

If you love without self in mind in this world you will be dirt poor, just like Christ. "

Rob

[:"red"] "Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again." [/] Luke 6:38 KJV

[:"red"] "Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth." [/] 3 John 1:2 KJV

DOVE.gif

Lift Jesus up!!

Quote:

Ed Dickerson said:
If Christ was addressing coveting He was perfectly capable of saying, "You are coveting."

He did because anything outside loving your neighbor as one naturally loves himself is coveting.

Quote:

Universalizing this text is not warranted.

Here's the context:

Matt 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

This application is universal in the sense that it applies to all those who desire to gain heaven by works.

Quote:

In addition, it overlooks his thirty years as a "capitalist" carpenter...

Please prove your statement!

• Moderators

Quote:

Robert said:

Quote:

Gerry Cabalo said:

Quote:

Gerry

I have already answered this:

"Don't get me wrong...I am not stating that just because we don't measure up [i.e., fall short] doesn't mean we should turn back and enjoy sin. That's Paul's whole point in Phil 3:16 when he says, "Only let us live up to what we have already attained."

[:"blue"]But just for clarity's sake, would you be so kind as to answer it again? [/]

Quote:

He did because anything outside loving your neighbor as one naturally loves himself is coveting.

Sorry, but that's your definition, not the Bible's. As I pointed out the scripture in both places where it is recorded, has Christ saying "if you would be perfect." Not everyone, not "any man." Just this particular individual.

When Jesus intends to make universal statements, He does so.

Matt 11:27 "No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him."

Matt 16:24, 25 "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 25For whoever wants to save his life£ will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it."

Those are just a few quotes from Matthew. The other gospels also contain examples. When Jesus states a universal truth, He leaves no doubt.

This instatnce is quite specific to one person. So I have to choose between what Jesus said, and what you say. Guess what? You lose.

Now we'll apply your vacuous statement to murder.

IT's talking about murder because: "He did because anything outside loving your neighbor as one naturally loves himself is hating. And Jesus says whoever hates his brother is guilty or murder.

How about stealing:

He did because anything outside loving your neighbor as one naturally loves himself is taking what belongs to another. That's stealing.

How about dishonoring parents:

He did because anything outside loving your neighbor as one naturally loves himself makes your parents look bad. It's dishonoring parents.

You've discovered the universal logic solvent! It turns any statement into anything you want it to be!

Quote:

Matt 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

This application is universal in the sense that it applies to all those who desire to gain heaven by works.

If you were the Pope, and I a catholic, that would settle it. However, when a person asks a question about himself "I" and receives an answer about himself "you" it's not universal. It might apply to everyone in exactly the same circumstances. But you're not the Pope, and you're not God. So your word doesn't trump the words of Scripture.

What's most ludicrous about your statement is that both parts are your interpretation. You've decided it's about works, and you've decided it applies to everyone. So it's made of whole cloth.

Words have meaning, and you, Robert, are not the dictionary: you don't get to twist them any way that suits you.

Quote:

In addition, it overlooks his thirty years as a "capitalist" carpenter...

Quote:

Please prove your statement!

Let's see, now. You get to make wild assertions contrary to the Biblical record, and hold them as absolute. I, on the other hand, simply state something that is in the record, but I have to prove it.

I don't think so.

If you're unaware that Jesus was a carpenter before he began his public ministry, no wonder you make such astonishing statements.

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

Quote:

Robert said:

The context reveals that the rich young ruler was a self-righteous cat....That is clear from his question:

"Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?"

What was Christ's answer? Keep the commandments!

That is, indeed, what Jesus said. We must accept what he said, on its face. We cannot essay to read Christ's thoughts when He made this statement, or speculate as to some other intent. We take the Bible as it reads.

As to the RYR, the passage does not state that the RYR was 'self-righteous.' That is your assumption. One cannot read such a thing into the Scripture. Secondly, only God knew what was in his heart.

Quote:

The guy asks, "Which ones"? Jesus gives him the last six, only He replaces the 10th commandment [you shall not covet] with "you shall love your neighbor as you love yourself".

The verse does not say that Jesus 'replaced' the 10th c. Compare Lk. 18:20. It is critical for one to accept the Bible as it reads, and not try to read something else into the Scripture. We cannot be faithful to the text, and at the same time make such an assumption. The passage does not state that Jesus intended to replace the 10th c. in that way. In fact, Jesus elsewhere summarized the last six commandments with such a statement, quoted from Exodus, I believe.

Quote:

Your reasoning here appears to be based upon your idea that Christ intended to replace the 10th c. in his statement to the RYR and, secondly, perhaps, the idea of expanding the concept to a universal application. However, your idea is not stated in this Scripture, you cannot cite this Scripture as stating such, hence any edifice of understanding erected upon such as basis has no verifiable Scriptural foundation. Jesus did not anywhere in Scripture say that one of the two greatest commandments was, 'thou shalt not covet.' He DID say that one of the greatest, encompassing six of the 10c's, was to love your neighbor as yourself. THAT would be an accurate understanding.

Quote:

Did the rich ruler love himself or his neighbor? IF he loved his neighbor as he naturally loved himself then his neighbor would have his goodies!

I think it is safe to make a general statement to the effect that if you love our neighbor as yourself, then you will SHARE your 'goodies' with him. However, if you love yourself as Jesus described, you will not leave yourself destitute either. Wouldn't you agree?

This particular individual--the RYR--had a particular issue which called for radical action--a 'plague spot' in his character. One cannot extrapolate a universal application from this case, nor does the rest of Scripture support such a position.

Quote:

Remember this man wanted heaven by being good!

I think I understand the basis on which you say that, assuming such from what the passage says. However, to be accurate, we cannot speak to his intent, for we do not know what it was.

Quote:

And in return Christ gave him the law [the measuring stick of goodness].

Nor can we assume that Christ meant anything other than what He said in this verse. We cannot assume that Christ really didn't mean that. His words in this verse are quite direct.

Quote:

The man said he had being keeping it all his life, but Christ presents to him the spirit of the law.

That, again, is an assumption. Another plausible explanation could be that Christ was addressing the 'plague spot' in this individual's character. The spirit of the law is to 'love God with all your heart, and love your neighbor as yourself.'

Quote:

So if this man wanted heaven by works,

An assumption which is not stated in Scripture.

Quote:

then he needed to be selfless....He needed to love his neighbor instead of himself. That's agape...not an inward love, but an outward love that seeks not her own.

A good point, and well stated.

Quote:

If you love without self in mind in this world you will be dirt poor, just like Christ.

That is neither stated in the passage. nor supported by the passage, (love your neighbor AS YOURSELF) and in fact is contrary to the teaching of Scripture.

Do you have any other Scriptures?

Quote:

Ed Dickerson said:
Sorry, but that's your definition, not the Bible's.

The following is by Jack Sequeira:

A young man asks, “What good thing must I do to get eternal life?” Here was a sinner, trying to do good, in order to be saved. Jesus tried to correct him by saying that there is nobody good except God. “But,” He added, “if you want to go to heaven by being good, keep the commandments.” The young man asked, “Which ones?” Then, Jesus quoted to him the commandments that Paul is quoting here, in Romans 13:9. Matthew 19:18-19:

Jesus replied, “‘Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honor your father and mother,’ and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’”

This commandment refers to our relationship to our neighbors. Jesus completed His statement the same way Paul does, [:"Red"]“Love your neighbors in the same way that you love yourself.”[/] In other words, we love our neighbors spontaneously and unconditionally just as we naturally love ourselves.

The young man, not realizing what Jesus was really saying, said:

“All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I lack?”

Jesus tested him as to whether he really loved his neighbor as himself. Matthew 19:21:

Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

Jesus, to prove to the young man that he did not, said, “Take your wealth, which means so much to you, and give it to the poor, your neighbors, then follow Me.” He considered giving his wealth to the poor as a sacrifice which he was not willing to make. So, he left Jesus sorrowfully.

Quote:

Robert said:

The following is by Jack Sequeira:

Permit me to comment, Robert, that your post is an excerpt from Jack Sequeira. No doubt, Mr. Sequeira has many good thoughts, as, indeed, so many other expositors of the Word. Nevertheless, his writings are not equivalent to the Word of God. He, like the rest of us, is subject to error. Our doctrine is not according to Jack Sequeira, or according to anyone else, but as recorded in God's holy Word, the Bible. Sister White herself repeatedly urged people to go to the Bible.

Thus, Mr. Sequeira's commentary on this passage is just that--a commentary. I find no citations of authority or any links to follow up, to independently corroborate his views on this passage.

Let's stick with the Bible, Robert. Do you have any other BIBLE passages to present, in support of your position?