ClubAdventist is back!

NAD Reprts on LGBT SDA Study

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

See:

http://www.nadadventist.org/article/1073743458/news/current-and-archived-news-stories/2017-current-news-archives/head-adventist-researchers-report-lgbt-young-adult-survey-findings

The above is commenting on a research study published in:  Journal of Social Work and Christianity, vol. 44, no. 1 & 2, (2017): pp. 72-95.

Gregory

• Administrators
7 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

One sentence in particular, is worth repeating:

Its almost like when you see patients, unconscious in bed, and family standing around talking about all the money they will get when so and so dies, and they don't realize that "so and so" can actually hear them!

We talk a lot about LGBT, (I never know how many letters to put in that short form), we dont stop to think how many of them are observing or listening but while we do this, we have people such as our beloved @Gayatthefootofthecross is reading it all without being engaged personally with any of it, likely even scared to try as some of it gets pretty rough and too often, from what I have seen many of us get a little bit offended if any LGBT join in the discussions. So from what I see, on this forum, and all over the internet and churches, there is an effort to "talk about" LGBT but little desire or effort to have them join us in discussion, or, if on the rare time they do, we usually are hostile or curt with them

I sent a PM to "one of them" a short while ago, just as a friend would do when wanting to get to know someone. I invited them first, to a topic I started, on who I am and where I come from. Theres no agenda there at all. That person is my friend now, just like any of you are. I just invited him into my circle like any other person. Treated him and talked to him like i would anyone else I know, and now I feel like a small, but strong bridge has been built

we have demonized this population group, as we demonized schizophrenia.  if we don't understand it,  and it disrupts our normal patterns of relating it is the devil.  we are powerless to control this, it is the devil.  Because of ignorance, fear and loathing step up, they are fatiguing and then boom you have ostracization taking place and fully justified.  A common event that happens when people do not know what to do about a situation is the simply ignore it.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

There are a number of mental illnesses whereby this happens. but NO ONE can really say much about the subject except from a rhetorical point of view, unless they have some kind of experience in such things; for example, trying to live with someone who has mental illness. In some cases it can be done, others no. And those would not likely be cases of the person "demonizing" the one with mental illness. Whats still shocking to me is how some demonize the mentally ill, and just say "they are possessed." That is very rarely the case

depends on what part of the world you live in, and even in America, it depends in part on your geographical location.  It is more common than you want to imagine.  Any human expression that is out of range of what is deemed normal is able to become demonized.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

On 3/10/2017 at 2:15 PM, The Wanderer said:

We talk a lot about LGBT, (I never know how many letters to put in that short form)

LGBTQIA