ClubAdventist is back!

"Big Tent" Adventism

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

Big Tent Adventism is a phrase that I, and others, have used in posts made here in CA.  As I look at these posts, it appears to me that people are not using that term in the  same way.  There seems to me to be two (2) ways in which it is being used, with some using it in both ways.

1)  Church services:  This involves much that happens in our corporate worship service--music, hymns, musical instruments, who is allowed on the platform, dress both for people in the congregation as well as those on the platform.  I have lived in Asia as well as Central America.  Folks, whether you know it or not.  Cultural differences exist in world-wide Adventism.  We do not do everything exactly the same everywhere.  As the U.S. has had more and more people coming from far away distances, they have brought their cultural preferences into ethnic congregations.  Those congregations have influenced the worship of congregations outside of those ethnic circles.  In addition, the culture  of today in the U.S. differs from what it was 100 years ago.  Much of what we do today in our corporate services is based upon our cultural background and not on solid Biblical statements, regardless of how much we might wish to make it so.   

2) Membership:   This usage relates to the standards that we require to become a SDA member.   People may not deny that the Bible does teach that there should be standards.  But, some are much more restrictive than at others.  My use of this term has most often been to use it in this context.   It is clear that Adventism, today, is divided on this point.  Those who suggest more relaxed (or less) standards, believe that there are many issues that it is appropriate for God in the end to decide and we do not have to draw a distinction now.  The more liberal people suggest that "Church" is a hospital for sinners, rather than a "club" for the redeemed.

Frankly, I suspect that we are never going to come into agreement on the above points.  If this is so, in order to work together to accomplish a common mission, we may simply have to live in peace with those who differ with us and let God act in these matters as God  choses.

Gregory

As our church continues to grow we will have more diverse opinions in it.  There are issues in the church now.  Some of those issues are creation and evolution, drinking alcoholic beverages, pre-marital sex, divorce, Sabbath activities, military service, music and appropriate dress.   I believe the way to deal with these issues is to discuss them.  Our Sabbath School lesson recently took on the issue of the Trinity which is being questioned by many in the church now.  Youth programs often talk about sex, which was once considered taboo.  Youth programs also talk about music, appropriate dress, Sabbath activities and military service.  Unfortunately, some churches lack youth programs and not everyone studies their lessons so there is no "fix".  It is just a battle the church will continue to fight.  Truth need not fear investigation.  Discussion and study are the best ways to maintain unity.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Moderators

Regardless of the position that one might take on the above subjects, the discussions should be grounded in facts.  Sometimes they are not.   Thea bottom line is that most of the time people on both sides of the questions have at least some of the  facts correct.

Shane is correct that we do need to talk and he is correct that our youth are asking for discussions.

Sometimes there is no one correct answer that applies to all.  Military service, in my opinion, is one of these.

In these situations, we should live in peace with those who see it differently from the way that we see it.

Gregory