ClubAdventist is back!

GC VP Removed as Unity Committee Chair

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

Thomas Lemon, a General Vice-President of the General Conference has written a thoughtful 35 page document on the Unity issue that was presented at the recent Annual Council.  See:

http://outlookmag.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Toward-An-Understanding-Of-Unity.pdf

I will suggest that it is worth reading by people on both sides of this issue.

Gregory

• Moderators

Here is a quote from page 27 of the above cited document:

And with the  2015 GC Session vote, General  Conference leadership has painted the church into that corner with little obvious way out.

Gregory

• Moderators

IOW, there has been a lack of leadership.

NOTE:  Leadership resolves issues.  It does not leave them without resolution.

Gregory

• Members

excellent piece of work by Tom...

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Moderators

The  more time that I spend reading this document, the more I believe it to be of value to both sides on this issue.

Gregory

• Moderators

Thomas Lemon and President Ted have reached an agreement that Lemon should no longer be the Chair of the Unity Committee.

See:

https://atoday.org/thomas-lemon-replaced-as-chair-of-the-unity-in-mission-compliance-committee/

10/20/2017  NOTE:  Additional important information has come to light on this matter.  See my additional comment in this thread.

Gregory

• Moderators

The assumption is the publication of his 35 page document on Unity.  

Perhaps not?

Gregory

• Moderators

Wanderer, you asked Kevin why he considered it to be sad.  He can speak for himself, but I will make some suggestions it being sad because:

*  Lemon was a knowledgeable Chair of the Unity Committee who was fair to both sides.

*   This action may (?), to some, give the appearance that disagreement with certain people will result in punishment.

*  This action may (?) give the appearance to some that chairmanship of that committee depends upon a willingness to guide the committee in a specific direction and/or that committee members are expected to adhere to a specific line of reasoning.

*  Such relief may result in personal pain and stress to the person so relieved, regardless of whether or not the person should have been relieved.  I could, if I wanted to do so, argue that publication of the document that was published by the Chair of thee committee should cause that person to be removed as the Chair, and I  could make a case for saying that  the author of that document should not re removed.

*  There are probably other ways in which this could be addressed in the case of a decision that the author of such a document should no longer serve as the Chair of that committee.  NOTE:   I am not wanting to get into a discussion of this.  Rather I am simply suggesting that this may be possible.

Gregory

• Members

I think it's sad because Tom Lemon is respected by both sides of the issues — a quality that isn't often seen...

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Moderators

Sadness for two reasons: First for what has been said here that he was respected by both sides. Second President Wilson gets to say his opinion openly but when someone else does they loose their position.

>>>Texts in blue type are quotes<<<

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

--Shakespeare from Hamlet

Bill Liversidge Seminars

The Emergent Church and the Invasion of Spiritualism

• Members
56 minutes ago, B/W Photodude said:

I don't think the quote from Jan Lemon which FullCrumb provided was for public viewing — I believe it was posted as *private*, for "friends only".... perhaps she needs to go over her list of friends and delete those who seem to have ulterior motives, as someone who would copy and paste someone's personal views from a private page would hardly be considered a "friend".....

• Moderators

The following additional information on this matter is taken from Spectrum:

Yesterday, the General Conference issued a short statement concerning the situation which read as follows:

While there has been a discussion of a possible change of leadership for the committee, no action will be taken until the Administrative Committee of the General Conference meets to consider the matter.”

Sam Neves, associate director of communications for the GC, confirmed that the Administrative Committee (ADCOM) must vote on any change in leadership before it takes effect. “There is no story,” Neves said, until ADCOM meets to vote. He added that the Committee could choose to keep Lemon on as chair.

According to Neves, ADCOM will not meet again for at least six weeks, after President Ted Wilson returns from his current travels.

Additionally, there seems to be confusion surrounding the proper name of the committee in question. In official documents, including the recent “Procedures for Reconciliation and Adherence in Church Governance Phase II,” the committee is referred to as the “Unity Oversight Committee.” However, during Annual Council last week, delegates on the floor started referring to the committee as the “Unity in Mission Oversight Committee,” a name which seems to have stuck, and has appeared in reports from various news outlets. Neves confirmed that there is no current consensus among GC officials on the committee’s name, but they are looking into the matter.

The confusion may stem from the fact that the name of the initial 2016 document that outlined the procedures for reconciliation with non-compliant entities is “Unity in Mission.” It seems in the weeks ahead, the Committee may be tasked both with finding a new chair and deciding on its official name going forward.

Thomas Lemon has declined requests for comment on the GC’s statement regarding his leadership of the Committee or ADCOM’s role in the matter.

Gregory

• Members
50 minutes ago, Gregory Matthews said:

“Unity Oversight Committee.”

that's ironic.  "Oversight" can also mean "mistake"...

17 hours ago, rudywoofs (Pam) said:

I don't think the quote from Jan Lemon which FullCrumb provided was for public viewing — I believe it was posted as *private*, for "friends only".... perhaps she needs to go over her list of friends and delete those who seem to have ulterior motives, as someone who would copy and paste someone's personal views from a private page would hardly be considered a "friend".....

With all due respect, it is Fulcrum7. It really seems to be a trend with many in church related sites that disparaging individuals and groups happen. Case in point, Wilson Derangement Syndrome. I do not believe he can do anything that will make the liberals in the church happy except resign.

As far as the privacy thing, if you don't want it posted in other places on the internet, don't post it at all. Everyone should know by now there is not really such a thing as privacy posting on the internet. And we do not really know how private Jan Lemon expected her remarks to be.

Bill Liversidge Seminars

• Members
4 hours ago, B/W Photodude said:

if you don't want it posted in other places on the internet, don't post it at all. Everyone should know by now there is not really such a thing as privacy posting on the internet.

I expected such a remark as the above.  

It doesn't make it *right* to violate someone's privacy.  But....there are those who delight in divulging confidences and disrespecting confidentiality, as it makes for great drama....

And sorry... I should have written "FullCrumb7".... my mistake.

• Moderators
22 hours ago, rudywoofs (Pam) said:

But even so, why is President Wilson free to share his views, Doug Batchelor free to share his views,  Stephen Bohr free to share his views, Frocrum7 free to share their views all publicly, but when a moderate shares their views publicly they get into trouble.

Reading thru a large amount of spectrum reader comments, seeing what one noted Adventist author called the president of the church, and all the other hand wringing going on, it does nothing to promote the supporters of WO's credibility. Here is one look at the situation regarding President Wilson:

http://www.fulcrum7.com/blog/2017/10/17/a-difference-in-character

Bill Liversidge Seminars