ClubAdventist is back!

Essential Oils: A Great, Natural Remedy for Anxiety

news

Disclaimer – The information in this article is presented as general information only. You are advised to follow directions or consult a qualified healthcare practitioner before using any essential oil or medicinal substance. We are not responsible for your use of, or inability to use, this information. There are so many things in modern life…

View the rest of this great article

I hope no one takes much of this article seriously. Arometherapy has been largely debunked after it was heavily promoted by some in the discipline of nursing. While pleasant scents may be pleasing, it is a stretch to make claims like:

Essential oils work through aromatic molecules that pass through our blood-brain barriers, affecting areas in our brains that are in charge of feelings, stress and anxiety. 

>>>Texts in blue type are quotes<<<

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

--Shakespeare from Hamlet

Bill Liversidge Seminars

The Emergent Church and the Invasion of Spiritualism

16 minutes ago, B/W Photodude said:

Editing timed out!

I hope no one takes much of this article seriously. Aromatherapy has been largely debunked even after it was heavily promoted by some in the discipline of nursing. While pleasant scents may be pleasing, it is a stretch to make claims like:

Essential oils work through aromatic molecules that pass through our blood-brain barriers, affecting areas in our brains that are in charge of feelings, stress and anxiety. 

Many in the medical field spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to breach the blood brain barrier and to suggest that an aromatic molecule is going to just waltz right in is a bit much! So, like the article said do your research and especially into the validity of aromatherapy.

http://www.andybrain.com/extras/essential-oils-and-aromatherapy.htm

https://abreathofreason.com/2014/08/26/essential-oils-long-on-history-short-on-evidence/

>>>Texts in blue type are quotes<<<

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

--Shakespeare from Hamlet

Bill Liversidge Seminars

The Emergent Church and the Invasion of Spiritualism

• Members

actually, there *are* a few essential oils that would possibly have the ability to penetrate through the blood-brain barrier.... the one ones containing sesquiterpenes — but most of those particular eo's  are not considered anti-anxiety or stress-relieving .  Many unadulterated essential oils have the ability to penetrate cellular membranes, depending on the oil.

I recently had a bout of severe bronchitis which turned into pneumonia... still have the remnants of it.  Because I can't take antibiotics, I used essential oils diffused into the air... particularly frankincense, niaouli, and lemon.  Probably didn't work as fast as antibiotics might have, but it did the trick.  

I've been a certified aromatherapist for over 20 years, amongst all the other healthcare technologies in which I'm certified.  Not all of us subscribe to the nonsense that some in the essential oil business have been purporting.  But essential oils definitely have healing properties.

(By the way, I did PhD level research on the chemical constituents of essential oils.  It bothers me that so many people use them indiscriminately....gives a bad rap to those of us who actually know what we're doing.  I would consider the proper use of essential oils far and above the use of homeopathic drugs that are (in my opinion) basically worthless.)

• Like 2

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Members

I know absolutely nothing about essential oils or aromatherapy. Where would someone like me (a newbie) go to learn more?

you might look at "The Encyclopaedia of Essential Oils," by Julia Lawless.  I have the first edition from 1992, but I think there are more recent editions.   Fairly easy to understand writing style, and lots of good information.  

There's also a free online course on Aromatherapy that's available, set up by Jade Shutes, a noted aromatherapist.  I've not looked deep into the course, but looks like it would be worthwhile for those not familiar with the topic:  https://courses.aromaticstudies.com/product/introduction-to-aromatherapy/

If you go to buy essential oils, don't buy from "big" stores, like Walmart.  Many places sell cut-rate oils that have been adulterated (extended, using cheap oil).  I also don't buy from tiered brands, such as Young Living, or Do-Terra, where it's something like a pyramid type of selling process — their essential oils might be okay, but I don't have experience with those types of oil brands.  I used to buy mine from England (still do on some types).  More recently, I've found the Auroma brand to be very satisfactory.  Leydet is also a good brand.

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Members
14 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

Modern science and Big Pharma have always generated mind chatter about how "unreal" natural herbs, plants, oils etc are. The debunkers are likely from the same crowd that keeps saying we need all of their pills instead.

too true!  What many people don't understand is that, with each growing season, the chemical constituents of essential oils are subtly changed, due to climate conditions for each particular year.  For that reason, bacteria, viruses, and fungi cannot develop a resistance to the oils.  That's one main reason that pharmaceuticals don't like eo's.  The pharmaceuticals can't develop equally effective synthetic derivatives that can parallel the ever-changing growing seasons.  :)